Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Starlink - Musk - Ukraine

Comments

• "Caution." Put on chain mail when using a Starlink connection? ORK.
  • edited March 2022
    This sounds pretty specific to the Ukraine. I doubt Putin has much interest in hacking my Starlink connection. There are currently 1,600 Starlink satellite in orbit. Musk’s lookin to have over 12,000 in orbit in a few years with an eventual goal of 40,000. He normally launches 50-60 new ones every month.

Sounds like they went after the ground terminals. These are close to the given service area. Mine comes out of Chicago, only about 250 miles away. Essentially, they “bounce” the signal up & off the low altitude satellite when it’s in between the terminal and the receiver (ie your home). Very fast.

Happy hacking Vladimir!
  • Thank you. Good to know.
  • Yes, good article. Thanks-
  • edited March 2022
    The kit is ridiculously simple to set up There’s a 2’ high tripod stand designed to be placed on the ground, or on picnic table or whatever. Attach the small dish to it and run the provided cable from dish to a small (4x6”) receiver inside the dwelling. Plug receiver into a standard AC outlet. Than using an ethernet cable (also provided) connect the included router to that small receiver. Presto. You have good wifi throughout the home. No need to point the dish. It has a built in motor and points itself automatically. If it snows don’t worry. The dish is heated.

The reason they are sometimes roof mounted (like my own) is that the satellites are rather low in the sky. So nearby tall trees can be a problem and require roof mounting. Without a roof mount, a 10-12 year old kid could set one up in about 15 minutes.
  • Good thing that they didn't have stuff like that when I was a radio tech. I'd have been out of a job!
  • Some Starlink systems were in place several weeks ago, in Ukraine. This report was released today, April 6, via CNN.

USAID helps deliver 5,000 of SpaceX's satellite internet service terminals to Ukraine

The US government is helping Elon Musk's SpaceX fund and ship thousands of satellite internet terminals to the Ukrainian government, a potential safeguard in the event Russia disrupts the country's communication infrastructure.

The US Agency for International Development (USAID) announced Tuesday it has delivered 5,000 Starlink terminals to the government of Ukraine.

Starlink is SpaceX's satellite internet service which allows users in remote or war-torn regions of the world to access the internet at broadband speeds with terminals or antennas that look similar to a small TV dish.

"The Starlink satellite terminals will enable unlimited, unthrottled data connectivity from anywhere in Ukraine," according to a statement from the USAID. "The terminals will allow public officials and critical citizen service providers to continue to communicate within Ukraine and with the outside world, even if Putin’s brutal aggression severs Ukraine’s fiber optic or cellular communication infrastructure connections."
    When Russia invaded in February, Elon Musk activated Starlink service for the first time over Ukraine and announced on Twitter that "more terminals en route."

At the time, Musk was responding to a plea from Ukraine's vice prime minister amid fears the country internet access would go dark as Russia continued its invasion. It's unclear how many Starlink terminals SpaceX delivered to Ukraine before the USAID got involved.

SpaceX has launched more than 2,000 Starlink satellites since May 2019, with plans to launch around 42,000 more over the next several years.

• Of course, you do need some sort of power source. Typically AC. But DC could probably be adapted.