Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you buying - if anything?

Comments

• edited April 2022
    carew388 said:

I'm going to put an order in tomorrow for ARB, but the etf may be too illiquid for Fidelity's taste !

I sometimes buy and sell funds Fido terms “illiquid”. (GLDB is one.). When you begin the process, Fido will display the latest “bid” and “ask” price for that security. Calculate how many shares you’d like to buy. than submit a “limit” order for that number of shares along with a “limit price” a few pennies above the last “ask” price. Fido will put it through at a lower price anyway if there is one available. ISTM they’ll even let you specify fractional shares if you prefer. It’s been very fast and reliable for me, anyway!

• edited April 2022
    Not doing much buying at this time.
    Dollar-cost averaging into PRILX (HSA) and MIEIX (401k) every two weeks.

• edited April 2022
    Opened new position in PFIX, sold a bit of JHEQX, TRAIX and added to positions in NICHX, BLNDX, MAFIX. SVOL and USMV are on my watchlist.

Continuing to play the wheel option income game on UVXY but it is a super risky play.
  • edited April 2022
    @stayCalm, thanks for sharing. I was curious why you have both BLNDX and MAFIX? I noticed that MAFIX has five sub-advisers and as such is fairly diversified in of itself. May be it is the layout of BLNDX website but its info disclosure does not appear as robust as that of MAFIX but it is more current than that of MAFIX. If you were to choose between the two, which one would you prefer and why? Also, what percentage of your PV constitutes each of these funds?
  • edited April 2022
    Bought MDT (Medtronic) 10 days ago. Recently added to PAVE and SBUX.
  • @BaluBalu

Spreading my bets between the two. Collectively they are about 15% of my equity allocation. MAFIX has done better than BLNDX recently but BLNDX has done well too. I like the alts comparison table that BLNDX has on their site. CIO Eric appears to be a smart guy. Check out his recent interview with Meb Faber, video is posted on BLNDX site.
  • @stayCalm: have you found a way around the $1M minimum investment in MAFIX? I was going to compare it to BLNDX, but did not want to spend time on a fund I could never buy. Following up on @BaluBalu's comment, I wonder what the six subadvisors' functions are.

Standpoint's Eric Crittendon does indeed impress. I own REMIX, FWIIW. I particularly enjoy the firm's monthly commentary in which one learns what worked, what didn't, and what noteworthy changes were made to the portfolio, including longs and shorts.

I initiated positions in GQEPX over the past few days.
  • I'm invested in MAFIX via a RIA so the $1M min does not apply (and I definitely don't have that kind of moolah to risk on a single fund)
  • edited April 2022
    BenWP said:

....have you found a way around the $1M minimum investment in MAFIX?

@BenWP FWIW, MAFIX is available with $0 min, but a $20 TF over at E*TRADE.

I've been eyeing GQEPX next time the market dips (also $0 Min at Etrade, No TF), but it just keeps going up recently.

• The specialties of the sub-advisers are listed in the prospectus. There are also other share classes with lower minimums.
  • edited April 2022
    @stayCalm, thanks for your reply. You mentioned those two alt / multi-asset funds constitute 15% of your equity allocation - what %age of you PV is equity?

@JD_co, Does Etrade offer GQHPX / GQHIX? Also, does Etrade charge transaction fee of $20 for each sales of TF funds or are the sales free like at Fidelity, Schwab, etc.? For NTF funds, how much short term redemption fee does Etrade charge and what is the holding period requirement to avoid the fee?

Thanks in advance.
  • Added to positions:

FSENX - Fidelity Select Energy
    FSAGX - Fidelity Select Gold
    FARMX - Fidelity Agricultural Productivity
  • edited April 2022
    Dipped my toe into RPIEX and added to VDADX. Both have passed their 200 day ma. Head fake? Perhaps.
  • edited April 2022
    Doubled down on DKNG at $16.50. To make room, sold CVSIX. Moved GLDB from spec position into fixed income sleeve. With the 10 year above 2.7% I believe longer dated higher rated corporates (GLDB) are beginning to look attractive as offsets to a possible market selloff as well as for generating a stream of income. Increased weighting of TAIL (defensive) slightly to around 7%.

Every “advisor / market expert” and his brother is expecting a recession unless the Fed eases up on the brakes. Predicted time of onset range from 6 months to 2 years out. One early hint, home sales are falling off. Enjoying all the comments above. Noted @Mark bought some Medtronic. +1
  • @BaluBalu
    Equity is about 25% of my portfolio
  • @hank et al
    You noted "home sales are falling off".
    This "Bankrate" page shows current mortgage data. Scroll down the page about 1/3 for current data, which also includes a rate change chart from the beginning of this year. Select "mortgage" ; although "refinance" is very similar, and the time period you choose for review.
  • edited April 2022

@JD_co, Does Etrade offer GQHPX / GQHIX? Also, does Etrade charge transaction fee of $20 for each sales of TF funds or are the sales free like at Fidelity, Schwab, etc.? For NTF funds, how much short term redemption fee does Etrade charge and what is the holding period requirement to avoid the fee?

Thanks in advance.
    @BaluBalu No, ETRADE doesn't offer those other classes. The MF holding period is 90 days (to avoid $50 fee) for their no load, no transaction fee funds.
  • edited April 2022
    DavidF said:

Added to positions:

FSENX - Fidelity Select Energy
    FSAGX - Fidelity Select Gold
    FARMX - Fidelity Agricultural Productivity

Nice choices.

Note however Fido makes investing in all three of those areas a lot easier easier with FFGCX - Fidelity Global Commodity Stock, which allocates roughly 1/3 each to Energy, Agr and Metals. Speaking of easy, FFGCX is easily our best YTD performer, UP ~34%.

Investing in the three funds of course affords the investor more control over the respective allocations. BUT...given the expertise we believe is necessary to intelligently and profitably invest in those specific areas, we prefer to leave all of that to the FFGCX PMs.

Elsewhere..

(1) We have recently been DCA'ing into the iconic FSELX - Fido Semis, DOWN ~22% YTD. Expecting the eventual semis move UP to be parabolic when it happens, and we can easily wait for that move while DCA'ing into it. Yes, talking heads make a worthy case for NOT buying the whole sector and concentrating on the best names, but that just ain't our style or risk appetite.

(2) Thanks to regular reading of anything uncleharley posts anywhere, we finally "saw the light" (so to speak) and a while back bought utilities, choosing FSUTX - Fido Select Utilities, arguably the best utilities OEF on the planet. Note that uh meanwhile prefers ETFs UTG, MGU and MFD.
  • Level5 said:

Dipped my toe into RPIEX and added to VDADX. Both have passed their 200 day ma. Head fake? Perhaps.

I also bought RPIEX, lived up to its dynamic name over the past year. It was down like the rest of the bond market and whatever the manager did of late worked, now UP almost 4%!
  • Took $$$ from PRSNX (bonds) and split it between TRAMX and PRISX. (Next: PRNEX.)
  • Interesting....

@wxman123, @Level5...do you think that RPIEX bumped up due to possibly (I have no idea) that the fund mgr has nasdax puts on (see latest portfolio holdings)...and some global sovereigns might be doing well as some are anticipating/seeing? the mucho debasement of the US dollar and possiblity of the Dollar no longer being the world's reserve currency as the sanctions on Russia backfire...after all, isn't the rational way to think about this that after the spike in interest rates we're going to go right back to QE ad infinimum as the markets go splat? Maybe a real good fund pick here, dunno.

@stillers...interesting...your mention of FFGCX...you think we're just getting started here? Multi year trend, this spike in commodities...crazy how even after the big move up how the holdings still have very low valuations....

Good Luck and Good Health to All,

Baseball Fan

• edited April 2022

Interesting....

@stillers...interesting...your mention of FFGCX...you think we're just getting started here? Multi year trend, this spike in commodities...crazy how even after the big move up how the holdings still have very low valuations....

Good Luck and Good Health to All,

Baseball Fan

I wish I could answer your questions but commodities, including energy, metals and agr are clearly NOT my area of expertise. I did however recognize early on this year that they were a likely spot to place our "Explore" funds this year.

So we researched them as best we could and bought FNARX and FFGCX.

FNARX is far more an energy play and proved more volatile and more profitable. We got a little antsy with our exposure level, took our winnings there and ran, while keeping our full allocation to FFGCX. We rolled the FNARX proceeds to the position we had started building in FSUTX.

RE: FFGCX and your question: Hard to imagine given the current world markets (all markets, not just stock) that at least one, two or all three of energy, metals and/or agr are NOT going to be places an investor wants to be through all or at least most of the rest of this year. That said, we lightened our energy exposure and (kinda, sorta) barbelled our "Explore" funds with utes. Still, we are expecting outperformance by FFGCX in the near, and possibly intermediate term, or at least performance on par with the S&P and other more mainstream sectors, while providing worthy diversification from them.

You may however want to read (for example) the Fido "Commentary'" tab stuff for FFGCX for far more worthy insights than mine.

• edited April 2022
    “We have recently been DCA'ing into the iconic FSELX - Fido Semis, DOWN ~22% YTD”

+1 / Makes infinitely more sense to me than buying something that’s up 22% YTD as some appear to do.
  • Prior to the covid virus I had been using Zoom to attend online workshops. When the stuff hit the fan, and folks began working from home, I recall thinking that an online tool for meetings would be valuable. I then checked the price of Zoom and saw it had already risen 25%. Thinking I’d missed the boat, I moved on. Sheesh - LOL.
  • edited April 2022

Interesting....

@wxman123, @Level5...do you think that RPIEX bumped up due to possibly (I have no idea) that the fund mgr has nasdax puts on (see latest portfolio holdings)...and some global sovereigns might be doing well as some are anticipating/seeing? the mucho debasement of the US dollar and possiblity of the Dollar no longer being the world's reserve currency as the sanctions on Russia backfire...after all, isn't the rational way to think about this that after the spike in interest rates we're going to go right back to QE ad infinimum as the markets go splat? Maybe a real good fund pick here, dunno.

I don't know, but the manager has shown skill, that is for certain. Check out the drawdowns on this chart from PV, Nov 30, 2021, now that is active management with results! (If chart does not populate just plug in RPIEX and BND.)

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/fund-performance?s=y&symbol=RPIEX&benchmark=BND

• @wxman123, use the "Link" feature of PV to post PV results.
  • @wxman123, use the "Link" feature of PV to post PV results.

Done, thanks!!
  • Hi stillers,

I think this is the first time I've talked to you but have read your posts on M. Saying that to say this: FSELX I sold last year due to rising rates. This year my point is......are you not early in the buying of it along with FSUTX? I know the market factors in things and one does not want to be late to the party. But I still feel this market could still have a fall ahead of it as rates rise. As for full disclosure, I own FSENX and FARMX, which are inflation-lovers, so to speak. Just looking for your thoughts to help me with my thinking.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited April 2022
    Puddnhead said:

Hi stillers,

I think this is the first time I've talked to you but have read your posts on M. Saying that to say this: FSELX I sold last year due to rising rates. This year my point is......are you not early in the buying of it along with FSUTX? I know the market factors in things and one does not want to be late to the party. But I still feel this market could still have a fall ahead of it as rates rise. As for full disclosure, I own FSENX and FARMX, which are inflation-lovers, so to speak. Just looking for your thoughts to help me with my thinking.

God bless
    the Pudd

FSELX is DOWN ~22% YTD and FSUTX is UP ~9% YTD. So they are on two very different trajectories.

That said, not sure how an investor would be able think of being too early or too late to BOTH of them. Wouldn't it be one too early (FSELX) and one too late (FSUTX)?

Anyways, thought I explained my thinking previously but will give it another shot.

FSELX:
    I posted previously...
    (1) We have recently been DCA'ing into the iconic FSELX - Fido Semis, DOWN ~22% YTD. Expecting the eventual semis move UP to be parabolic when it happens, and we can easily wait for that move while DCA'ing into it. Yes, talking heads make a worthy case for NOT buying the whole sector and concentrating on the best names, but that just ain't our style or risk appetite.

Yeah, I KNOW I might be too early on this pup and maybe should try to be more selective than a broad-stroke play like FSELX. BUT I am not interested in a "Which semis?" guessing game (or volatility) and I can easily wait for what will inevitably, over time, be one of the better "explore" plays I can think of, especially given the large hole the sector has dug. Still DCA'ing into it, so any BIG DOWN days are BUYING opportunities under my current strategy for it.

FSUTX:
    I posted previously...
    (2) Thanks to regular reading of anything uncleharley posts anywhere, we finally "saw the light" (so to speak) and a while back bought utilities, choosing FSUTX - Fido Select Utilities, arguably the best utilities OEF on the planet. Note that uh meanwhile prefers ETFs UTG, MGU and MFD.

While many others I read think otherwise, uh thinks there is a lot of upside left to utes. So if anything, I'd be too late on it given what many others are saying. I've followed uh for a decade. He knows energy, metals, agr and utes FAR better than most, and light years better than me. I'm rolling with him on this one. Either way, utes are looking like a possible LT replacement for my long-since departed dedicated bond funds, and may eventually move to a "core" holding.