Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

2022 NCAA

2»

Comments

• Yes & St. Peter won again !
  • gotta cheer for st. pete now.
  • KANSAS. Crud.
  • edited April 2022
    Suffering withdrawal w/o a nightly fix of BB to wager on. The NBA playoffs are taking place now. I put a couple bucks on the underdog Mavericks last night, forgot to watch, but they somehow pulled it out against the Clippers.

I’ll generally only watch what’s reasonably close - 3 point or less point spread. The 76ers and Raptors tomorrow night should be a good one, with Philly favored by only 2 points.
  • Thanks for un-burying this thread, @hank. Others will surely be interested. Wish I could find an ice hockey game around here. But then I recall that some time ago, they became NOISE events at which a game also happens to be going on. New zip code: 96822, just 4 blocks from the old address. :)
  • @Crash: since arriving in HI last week I’m wondering how you local sports fans watch live mainland games. Seems that one hotel bar was offering a replay of the 76ers-Raptors game that had been played many hours previously. Maybe everyone is retired here and free to watch live telecasts early in the day.
  • Yes, the time is an adjustment. In Alaska years ago, the BRAVES ("America's team--- SHIT) would come on at 8:00 in the morning. I'm not getting up for THAT. I found a radio station locally that will give me the Dodgers. EVERY game! That's cool. I don't miss tv baseball, they've filled it with ads now, even between pitches. Buncha junk.
  • @Crash: I don’t go the Tigers games much, but I’m old enough to have gone to the old stadium and the new. What a contrast. At Comerica Park you can’t talk between innings because of deafening music and lights flashing all around you, patrons drinking yard-long glasses holding some pink alcoholic beverage, while the food sold is the epitome of the American diet gone haywire. The baseball seems to have been lost in the effort to provide a tasteless entertainment spectacle. I couldn’t imagine how I’d teach a kid how to fill out a scorecard in that atmosphere. Appears that prices are so high that the crowds don’t reflect the diversity of the city.
  • BenWP said:

@Crash: I don’t go the Tigers games much, but I’m old enough to have gone to the old stadium and the new. What a contrast. At Comerica Park you can’t talk between innings because of deafening music and lights flashing all around you, patrons drinking yard-long glasses holding some pink alcoholic beverage, while the food sold is the epitome of the American diet gone haywire. The baseball seems to have been lost in the effort to provide a tasteless entertainment spectacle. I couldn’t imagine how I’d teach a kid how to fill out a scorecard in that atmosphere. Appears that prices are so high that the crowds don’t reflect the diversity of the city.

All correctly and perfectly diagnosed. Sad, indeed. Even in Minor League parks... I recall seeing games in New Britain, Connecticut. NOISE events, just like the hockey, these days. :(
  • I’m from Connecticut, @Crash. Wonder what the Berlin Turnpike looks like these days.
  • BenWP said:

I’m from Connecticut, @Crash. Wonder what the Berlin Turnpike looks like these days.

I did not travel that road much... My favorite thing in Connecticut was the pond (Freshwater Pond) in Thompsonville which has been stocked with Channel Catfish for several years. I paid the higher fishing license fee for non-residents (Springfield, Massachusetts.) It was just a 15 minute drive down there from my old house. Great action.

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/channel-catfish-picture-id503331450?k=20&m=503331450&s=612x612&w=0&h=_ciR7YrmZN1EIooeMl1mo0aVJ3bGTXGVoFzBWVlTyts=