Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Former Russian Ambassador Michael McFaul on Cobert

edited March 2022 in Off-Topic
From The Steven Colbert Show - Thursday, March 10.

Ambassador Michael McFaul (Obama Administration)

I found this most enlightening. More insights than I’ve gleaned from PBS on the larger picture - especially internal Russian politics. You might have to wade through 1-2 minutes of comedy in the beginning to get to interview. Worth a watch.

NOTE: There were at least two commercial breaks during the interview. Linking in entirety was difficult / impossible. I think I’ve provided the complete interview. Insights into Russian politics / public opinion interesting.

Part I

Part II

Part Iii

Comments

• Thanks @hank. Good interview and it's always of interest to me to hear from one with boots on the ground experience. (One thing, I think you've got parts 2&3 reversed in order.)

One of my biggest concerns is his mentioning of "no end game." Basically Putin just wants to kill and/or eliminate all those he feels disrespect him and his rule. It's terribly hard to believe that the Ukrainians will ever just roll over and go away.
  • edited March 2022
    Thanks @Mark. I reversed the 2 parts. Hopefully cures the problem. While I admire Cobert’s talents, they’re often sorely abused on the show - resulting in a lot of garbage. This interview is a welcome exception.
  • Thanks @hank : I caught the lead in & then dozed off .
  • I think you’re right, @hank. Colbert seems to have to spend a lot of time with celebrities pushing a film or a book, or promoting CBS programs. Jon Stewart is a major owner of the show, I believe. In my view, Colbert has failed to put together a cast of side-show whackos in the way that Letterman did. As it is, Colbert tries to be funny all the time (except for the occasional serious interview), but his brand of humor can’t hold a whole show together.
  • "No-fly zone" = declaration of war. I can see that..... But a Berlin Airlift style of rescue? Why shouldn't we be doing THAT????????? Do the Russkies have the right to tell the West to stay out of Ukraine? That's a bunch of junk.
  • One of my biggest concerns is his mentioning of "no end game." Basically Putin just wants to kill and/or eliminate all those he feels disrespect him and his rule. It's terribly hard to believe that the Ukrainians will ever just roll over and go away.
    I agree with @Mark’s comment. For example, the Chechen war was horrific that took great human toll. More recently, the Syria war aided by Putin had similar result. The bigger question, will Putin stopped at Ukraine? Not likely in my opinion.