Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Markets looking a little rocky for Tuesday …

edited February 2022 in Other Investing
Early Monday evening Dow futures are off more than 400 points (about 1.4%). S&P futures are off 1.6% , NASDAQ futures down 2.25%. Gold well above $1900 at the moment, it’s highest level in a year. Asia’s down big of course. Bonds gaining. U.S. 10 Year treasury now at 1.87% - just slightly ahead of the 5 year (1.77%).

Rate inversion coming?

Still too early to dip in equities?

Tuesday may be a day only Hussman could love.

Comments

• edited February 2022
    Russia market down -4.8% Monday
    Russia market futures down -17%, but not trading at this time 9pm EST.
    I.G./Gov't bonds, of course; are positive in pricing, as well as commodities.

For Vlad, The Madman:

Madman Across The Water.......Elton John/Bernie Taupin.....partial lyrics

I can see very well
    There's a boat on the reef with a broken back
    And I can see it very well
    There's a joke and I know it very well
    It's one of those that I told you long ago
    Take my word I'm a madman, don't you know
    Once a fool had a good part in the play
    If it's so would I still be here today
    It's quite peculiar in a funny sort of way
    They think it's very funny everything I say
    Get a load of him, he's so insane
    You better get your coat dear
    It looks like rain, yeah
  • edited February 2022
    Think he tipped off his origarchical friends to get out early?

Some commodities like Brent crude oil ($97) are up. But some industrials like copper appear heading south.
  • I'll place this again.........global futures indices........11:30 PM, EST.
    Markets are a bit twitchy.
  • edited February 2022
    Putin just recognized the independence of eastern Ukraine's separatists as he moves troops in Ukraine to support the separatists. Question is when the sanctions will start that coincides with rise of oil price. Very messy.
  • Ya, it's a hot mess. Here's to you, @Catch22.
    Better even than the original.
  • Putin is into 2 "independent" Ukraine regions for "peacekeeping" and the world is reacting with limited sanctions. This is a start of something bad.

Futures started out deep in red Monday evening but started turning around 1:30 AM CT.

• edited February 2022
    @Catch22 - Since you’re into music, you may recall that JP used to play Paul Simon’s “Slip Slidin’ Away” during drive time on particularly nasty market mornings.

Markets appear to have recovered from the depths of late evening. Suspect there’s still another shoe to drop somewhere in the ongoing Ukrainian saga. Than, of course all the other issues of valuation and Federal Reserve intentions interwoven into all this. If you like to invest when there’s blood in the streets ….. maybe a trickle ….
  • Oil spiked 3% last night as Germany frozen certification of the gas pipeline from Russia. Other countries started their sanctions.
  • edited February 2022
    Biden will be speaking at 2 PM on the Ukraine matter. Slight trend downward in the markets after that announcement. Yep - Oil on fire (no pun intended).

To be honest, it’s the issues of valuation, sectors, economies and interest rates I try to get my head around. Geo-political stuff waxes and wanes. Pretty hard to invest on that kind of news …
  • Just be thankful for the right moves you made prior to this situation….
  • Hi @hank Yes, I recall that with JP. One of several great AM Detroit radio personalities.

Monday, late night: CNN news feed

Lithuanian Prime Minister: “Putin just put Kafka & Orwell to shame”
    From CNN's Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong

Lithuanian Prime Minister Ingrida Šimonytė said on Monday that Russian President Vladimir Putin’s move to recognize two separatist pro-Moscow regions in Ukraine puts “Kafka & Orwell to shame”.

In a tweet on her official account, Šimonytė wrote, “Putin just put Kafka & Orwell to shame: no limits to dictator's imagination, no lows too low, no lies too blatant, no red lines too red to cross.”
    She added, “What we witnessed tonight might seem surreal for democratic world. But the way we respond will define us for the generations to come.”

Echoing the sentiment, Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said in a tweetMonday that Russia’s recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk “proves a total contempt for international law & UN charters.”

He added that Russia “must be recognised for what it is: a state outside international rules & civilised norms," and he called for other nations to respond with sanctions.

NOTE: Franz Kafka bio

Remain curious,
    Catch
  • "Echoing the sentiment, Lithuanian Foreign Minister Gabrielius Landsbergis said in a tweet Monday that Russia’s recognition of Donetsk and Luhansk “proves a total contempt for international law & UN charters.”"

Yes, but what are you going to do about it? Huh? It would appear that frankly Putin doesn't give a rat's ass about your's or anyone else's sanctions. Russia (Putin) and China (Xi Jinping) just take peoples lives or whatever pieces of territory or businesses or funds that they want, whenever they want and life just goes on. Seriously, where and how does it end?