Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Getting off the sidelines - when?

13»

Comments

• Hi JohnN,

My! You got balls and timing, big guy....lol. Well done! I'd say this longneck's for you, but I'm going for the Crown Royal. This Crown's for you! Also, I put it on my watchlist because I'm not sure we're done going down.

God bless
    the Pudd
  • edited February 2022
    Missed opportunity. Could have laid all your money on ARKK Friday and cashed out today with a nice 9.5% overnight gain. Shucks!
  • HIND SIGHT !!!
  • edited February 2022
    Hi sir the Pudd

Many folks say its oversold past 6 weeks...hard to say

Still got 15 yrs left and has time to make up...
    I still buy Vang 2050 vpccx vgstx monthly basis.

If was retired probably all bonds Corp bonds TIPS and very little equities added. Mama portfolio very conservative down 5% last 6 wks
  • edited February 2022
    Folks had plenty of opportunity last week to buy ARKK. I provided a buy price ($64.5) and reasoning and followed up on several days last week and also posted when I bought on Friday. From the silence, I figured folks have no interest in a ARKK trade / investment.

I think @yogibearbull also started a thread on Friday about market forming a base.

Those interested in getting off the sidelines have already gotten off.

Good luck.
  • Cwoods add more tsla Fri 39.5millions
    Buffett woods also have/add more I think NIO or XPENG
  • Another use for VIX to aid with deciding about "getting off the sidelines"...
    The buy signal is triggered when the Cboe Volatility Index (VIX) rises by more than 50% of its 1-month moving average, which it last did Jan. 25, according to the strategists led by Mislav Matejka. The indicator has proven 100% accurate outside of recessions over the last three decades....Data show the VIX signal has been triggered 21 times since 1990, with the S&P 500 Index gaining an average 9% in the six months afterwards.

JPMorgan Strategists See Sure-Fire Sign It’s Time to Buy Stocks

• edited February 2022
    BaluBalu said:

Folks had plenty of opportunity last week to buy ARKK. I provided a buy price ($64.5) and reasoning and followed up on several days last week and also posted when I bought on Friday. From the silence, I figured folks have no interest in a ARKK trade / investment.

I think @yogibearbull also started a thread on Friday about market forming a base.

Those interested in getting off the sidelines have already gotten off.

Good luck.

See page 1 - https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/59085/gambling-in-2022

At last look ARKK is down 27% YTD. At the time the thread was posted (January 15) it was down 15% YTD. Just a lucky guess. No expertise claimed. Most anything that falls 50% from peak eventually rebounds - if only temporarily.
  • So is NOW the time to start nibbling ?
  • edited February 2022
    Derf said:

So is NOW the time to start nibbling ?

Nibble at own risk. Re ARKK - It’s a gamble. I still own some DKNG which is one of Wood’s babies. I’d probably sell on a 15-20% gain as it (along with ARKK) are outside my general tolerance level. I’ve done somewhat better with their stock than wagering on their app.:)
  • I bought a few things during the last week in January that are up nicely, but now? Perhaps I'm in the minority, but there's a guy with lots of troops positioned right on the Ukraine border, and he makes me very nervous. I've read that there's some implicit/explicit agreement between he and Xi that no action would be taken while the Beijing Olympics are in progress. I've got to imagine the markets may be a bit jumpy the latter part of February.
  • edited February 2022
    +1

There’s a lot of s*** going down - both abroad and at home. For example, Canada under siege - Coming soon to a city near you.
  • Well I'm half a country away from Los Angeles so we'll see. I used todays updraft to unload portions in a couple of positions. After reading an ARTICLE posted today by Jim Sloan at SA I'm taking a peak at Japan ETF's. I'm not sure that I will scratch the itch but I am interested.
  • edited February 2022
    hank said:

Canada under siege - Coming soon to a city near you.

Meaning ? Should we be looking forward to civil war ?
  • edited February 2022
    Who said anything about civil war? You are are surely aware of the chaos in Canada’s capital Ottawa and at the U.S. Canadian border crossings at Detroit and Port Huron, Mi.? There’s already a severe shortage of trucks and drivers which is affecting the U.S. / North American economy. One hardly needs to produce links to document that ongoing issue.

Here’s the story I was referencing: https://www.newsweek.com/truckers-california-protest-super-bowl-over-school-mask-mandate-1677777

The USA Truck Convoy, which posts under the tag TruckersForFreedom, announced on the social media instant messaging site Telegram their intent to "shut down" the Super Bowl, moving forward with the plan after "94% from 4500 votes" in the group shared their support for the action and 10 percent said they could come.

"Everyone be ready and tell everyone about the: SUPER BOWL PROTEST! Officials will host a Super Bowl while forcing kids to mask. End the mandates! LET'S SHUT THIS THING DOWN!" a post wrote. "Shut the SUPER BOWL DOWN!!! Surround SoFi Stadium with Trucks!!!"

Pure conjecture whether this type of protest spreads or become commonplace. I sincerely regret if my comment alarmed anyone unnecessarily. Just musing. Will try to be more careful.
  • Sought clarity on ‘coming soon’

Presumably there would be some effective backlash and gov response

Not clear what it would be
  • It might be best if the protesters left their Nazi flags at home.
  • edited February 2022
    Of course. But I haven’t seen that connection. In Canada it appears to be anger over having to wear face masks and be vaccinated to cross the border with their rigs. It’s a big leap, I think, to relate that to Fascism.

To make sure there wasn’t an inadvertent reference in my linked article, I’ve reread it. Nothing about Nazis. There is, however, brief mention of the Republican party:

“Members of the Republican party have supported the Convoy's effort to protest medical mandates, with President Trump releasing a statement in support of their fight and expressing thanks to those carrying out similar efforts in the United States.”

To reiterate - my original reference related to possible impacts on investing. Beyond that, this subject is better covered in the “Off Topic” section.
  • edited February 2022
    Mark said:

I used todays updraft to unload portions in a couple of positions. After reading an ARTICLE posted today by Jim Sloan at SA I'm taking a peak at Japan ETF's. I'm not sure that I will scratch the itch but I am interested.

I used today to add a bit to TAIL - while remaining broadly invested across the spectrum.

Japan? The thought occurred to me 2 - 3 months back. Initiated a small hold in FLJP, which has a ridiculously low ER. Not quite back to break even yet, but the same could be said of many U.S. assets.