Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

More red today

After a peek at the markets, Portfolio down 1.26 % !!!! How did you make out ?

DJIA
35,368.47 -543.34 (-1.51%)

NASDAQ
14,506.90 -386.86 (-2.60%)

S&P 500
4,577.11 -85.74 (-1.84%)

Russell 2000
2,096.23 -66.23 (-3.06%

Comments

• edited January 2022
    2022 YTD Damage

With the selloff today, 1/18/22, Nasdaq Comp closed below 200-dMA. SP500, DJIA, DJ Transports are below 50-dMA. R2000 has been mostly below 200-dMA in 2022. Only DJ Utilities are barely holding above 50-dMA. These are seen in individual Stockcharts (not shown). However, all are shown below YTD in the link (reset to YTD) and chart below.

https://stockcharts.com/h-perf/ui?s=$SPX&compare=$COMPQ,$INDU,$TRAN,IWM&id=p31099096152

• 19th January, 2022: -0.11% today. But worse than that, YTD, about -2.7%. Not too bad. Curious to see what sort of monthly divs I'll get from my bonds at the end of the month. At mid-month, PTIAX unusually paid a mere 2 cents per share. That's way out of the ordinary. My others: PRSNX. RPSIX. PRFRX. TUHYX.
  • The late-day selling this month is a very ominous sign, IMHO.
  • The best description that I've heard of this market is "Cathartic Upchuck"!!
  • edited January 2022
    @BenWP- well, there's been a lot of that, for sure. Probably some buying early in the day as things start to struggle up, then taking any gains and cashing out later on. Arbitrage, I suppose.
  • Probably more red tomorrow looking at the futures.

Where have all the dippers gone?
  • Well, I've got some limit orders going to pick up some more ASML if this continues. We shall see.
  • Hi @Old_Joe
    Heard part of a short blip today about ASML also having problems obtaining parts/product for their factory in Berlin, after the fire there, a few weeks ago. Overall, I believe they remain well positioned in this tech. area.

ASML articles
    Take care,
    Catch
  • @hank
    IG bonds today and IG bond futures at this time have assumed a more normal relationship to equity weakness. Some relief in the bond sell down is in place at this time (Jan. 20, 10:30 pm, EST).
  • edited January 2022
    Old_Joe said:

Well, I've got some limit orders going to pick up some more ASML if this continues. We shall see.

I put one in today for DKNG @$20 / Didn’t quite get there. Will try again tomorrow.
  • Hi @catch22- yes sir, I'm not too concerned about that situation in Berlin. It wasn't catastrophic by any means, and they'll get it going again. I also believe that they are very well positioned, and virtually without competition in a specialty niche that's very expensive to enter. A very wide moat, indeed.

If this market situation continues I intend to add shares if it continues downward.

• 2022 better not turn out to be Death by 1,000 Cuts. Can't we just get a few big wash out days where equities are down -4% or -5% per session? That's the way to do it.

This correction is too orderly.
  • Hopefully, you have access to this Bloomberg article.

$3.3 trillion stock options expiry
  • edited January 2022
    S&P 500 fell to the 200d ma (actually dropped a touch below it) in what feels like record time, and then bounced back up a bit. If you do this sort of thing, whether the 200 holds is a good thing to be watching.
  • @catch22 : Link worked for me,thank you.
    Enjoying the ride, Derf
  • edited January 2022
    Link worked well. Thanks. Wondered why I was getting “whiplash” for a couple hours after today’s open.

Looks like everything’s settled into a nice downward spiral now.
  • Behind pay wall for me. May be somebody could let me know what it is about. This is not 5he first time we had option expiry date. What is different today? Thanks.
  • edited January 2022
    BaluBalu said:

Behind pay wall for me. May be somebody could let me know what it is about. This is not 5he first time we had option expiry date. What is different today? Thanks.

It has to do with $3.3 Billion in options expiring yesterday (3 rd Friday of every month). It mentions the big drop in NETFLIX as coinciding with options expiration. It mentions greatly increased options trading recently and attributes a lot of that increase to increased participation in options trading by retail investors and to professional traders seeking to “hedge” against a turbulent overpriced market.

I’m unable to copy / paste from Bloomberg’s site or would. A lot of times when I’m locked out of Bloomberg I temporary delete their App from my device. Usually the article surfaces elsewhere on the web. Something screwy was taking place Friday for sure. Wild gyrations like I haven’t seen in a while. Sometimes that kind of action foretells a significant change in market direction.