Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gambling in 2022

2»

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Derf, I don't post anywhere what I own or trade, sorry.
    Generally, I own, in the last several years, only 2-3 funds. See (link).
    Today I was down just -0.02%(it's the correct figure).
  • edited January 2023
    I’m resurrecting @Bobpa’s thread from last January so we can check the score card and see which board guru’s predictions were best. @Bobpa wondered how you would invest (gamble with) a lump sum of money.

- One of my picks, ARKK, finished the year down 68%! Good grief! :(

- Another, gold / miners, has rebounded sharply in the past month or two, but is still way down. You’d surely have lost money buying in January.

Please help me here by identifying which predictions did best.

BTW - Skimming backward through the threads for all of 2022 was eye-opening. What a wild year it was. The ever changing threads illuminate a continuous series of surprises, shocks, market spikes and downdrafts. Really amazing. Somebody should write a book based on all the reactions and thoughts the year evoked here!
  • edited January 2023
    My guess was cash. At least it preserves the principal. After 7.2% inflation, I am down again.

Several posters guessed well on commodity futures (DBC and VCMDX) and natural resources (FNARX and PRNEX). The single best performing sector. Who could have guess the Ukraine war and how it changed oil and gas trade relationships.
  • I ended up down -11.41% in 2022, but that includes IRA withdrawals and some rearranging through the year. By that I mean exchanges between funds. I put a hefty amount into junk. I should have waited longer to do it. My favorite baby, PRWCX, ended-up just within the top 25% in its category, but still lost a bunch for the year. Still managed a goodly year-end pay-out. That's a GOOD thing, in a T-IRA.

I did not want to be out of the Market. I am very well aware that a big bunch of money is either made or missed on just several days per year, when irrational run-ups happen. PRISX disappointed. I'm holding it on a vastly reduced basis. Going to let my 5-stock stable run, in the brokerage acct. TRP won't allow buys into OEFs in a different fund company for less than $5k. That sucks wet dog fur, by the way.
  • edited January 2023

Maybe 50/50 HSGFX/BRK.B? Dunno

HSGFX +17.3% 1 YR

BRK.B +2.7% 1 YR

Combined: Performance +10%

Nice going @BaseballFan

Now - Please advise on where to put our money in 2023:)
  • hank said:

Maybe 50/50 HSGFX/BRK.B? Dunno

HSGFX +17.3% 1 YR

BRK.B +2.7% 1 YR

Combined: Performance +10%

Nice going @BaseballFan

Now - Please advise on where to put our money in 2023:)
    Very good work Baseball Fan.
    I’ll pick Lee Smith as hardest working guy in 80’s baseball. What’s your pick for hardest working fund manager in 2023?