Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

SP500 $VIX vs Nasdaq 100 $VXN

edited December 2021 in Other Investing
Today started as an up day, but ended as a down day due to a C-19/Omicron case found in CA in a fully vaccinated person who returned from S Africa.

An odd observation in some recent down days has been that SP500/SPY $VIX has been almost same or higher than Nasdaq 100/QQQ $VXN. This is very unusual for these 2 volatility indicators. Clearly, SP500 is a blend while Nasdaq 100 is large-cap growth heavy in techs. This is an ongoing battle between cyclicals and growth and news of the day favors one or the other.
https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$VIX&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p56537685927

Comments

• One person in USA confirmed with newest variant caused the market to flip flop !!??
    I hope person number two doesn't show up ! This may turn into a real dip buyer .
    Stay the course, Derf
  • Maybe the Omicron variant is just the excuse the stock market needed to finally let some air out of the bubble. Today's action was cringe-worthy.
  • JD_co said:

Maybe the Omicron variant is just the excuse the stock market needed to finally let some air out of the bubble. Today's action was cringe-worthy.

Yep.

The snow is on the mountain. Just waiting for the sound in the valley to start the avalanche.

I forget where I read that bromide about over-valued markets. But it's a lower threshold than looking for a black swan.
  • will be good times to buy
  • If you have any shekels left to buy something....
  • How will government function with no CG's to tax ?
  • This morning:
    SP500 VIX 36.8
    Nasdaq-100 VXN 35.3 (so, less than VIX)
    Oil OVX 50.5 (not much changed)
  • This morning, SP500 VIX 33.78 is again slightly higher than Nasdaq-100 VXN 33.34.

Oil OVX 64.37.

To get approximate DAILY volatilities, use value/19.