Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RPMGX reopening

I just got an email from TRP telling me that the T. Rowe Price Mid Cap Growth Fund, RPMGX is going from closed status to restricted status. It looks like purchases must be made directly with TRP.
If anyone desires, I can copy/paste the text from the email.
I've been in this fund since 1998.
Dave

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Thanks for the information as I have been waiting for RPMGX to re-open. I will wait until distributions are paid mid-December.

You are correct as here is the SEC filing:

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/887147/000174177321003638/c497.htm

497 1 c497.htm
    T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth Fund
    T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth Portfolio
    T. Rowe Price Institutional Mid-Cap Equity Growth Fund

Supplement to Prospectuses and Summary Prospectuses dated May 1, 2021, as supplemented
    Effective December 1, 2021, the T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth Fund, T. Rowe Price Mid-Cap Growth Portfolio, and T. Rowe Price Institutional Mid-Cap Equity Growth Fund (Funds), each of which was closed to new investors on May 28, 2010, will resume accepting new accounts and purchases from most investors.

Accordingly, effective December 1, 2021, the first two sentences under “Purchase and Sale of Fund Shares” in each Fund’s summary prospectus and Section 1 of each Fund’s prospectus are deleted in their entirety. In addition, in Section 2 of each Fund’s prospectus, the sub-section entitled “Closed to New Investors” is deleted in its entirety.

Financial intermediaries and other institutional clients should contact T. Rowe Price or their relationship manager to determine eligibility to open new accounts and purchase shares of each Fund.

The date of this supplement is October 27, 2021.
    G31-041 10/27/21

• I'm sure this is welcome news to many.
    When TRP changed the structure to their funds into two sections, I speculated to myself that there would be some re-openings of some of their popular funds.
    They probably lost some investors due to the effects of old age.
    The year end distributions are going to be fairly high, so those who might want to invest in a taxable account might want to wait until after distributions are paid.
    I think that they will be changing managers in this fund as the present one is somewhere in his early sixties, nearing retirement. Another unknown is how the research team is being split? On the positive side, TRP hasn't disappointed me with their management.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had limited re-openings of a couple of their other closed funds. I have part of my Roth in PRWCX .
  • Most of my T Rowe holdings are in taxable accounts as I will probably keep RPMGX as a taxable account also. At $130 per share, I will not get many shares for $2,500, but I will get my foot in the door.
  • According to M*, they have $85B AUM in this strategy by the one manager - combining all the funds like RPMGX, PMEGX, etc. I think that is a lot for a mid cap fund to be effective, assuming mid cap is what investors are looking for. For the past three years it has underperformed both its category (47, 75, and 68 percentile) and LG category. As somebody else suggested, they are likely to open all the funds that are being split into a separate firm - the reason for the split being capacity constraint.
  • TheShadow said:

Most of my T Rowe holdings are in taxable accounts as I will probably keep RPMGX as a taxable account also. At $130 per share, I will not get many shares for $2,500, but I will get my foot in the door.

Mine would be in a Rollover Trad. IRA. But after the December distributions, I'm going to buy. PRWCX has treated me so very nicely, I will just transfer funds from there.
  • Thanks for the update. I manage my MIL's money and have been waiting for a "mid cap growth" entry point. FWIW, PRDMX with it's much smaller asset base, I feel is a better bet than RPMGX.
  • In the MCG cat, take a look at BFGFX and MACGX.