Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

H.C. Richardson 16 May, 2021

Heather Cox Richardson.
This is her free and publicly available daily brief:

Representative Liz Cheney (R-WY), whom the Republican House conference dumped as chair last week after she refused to kowtow to former president Trump, said some interesting things to Chris Wallace on Fox News Sunday this morning. She reiterated that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has information about conversations with Trump surrounding the events of January 6 and should be subpoenaed if he will not talk about those things voluntarily (and, by implication, under oath).

Cheney is bringing back into the media cycle a number of things we heard between the election and January 6, but she has said that McCarthy should be subpoenaed enough times that it’s hard to believe she is talking generally.

On ABC’s This Week, Cheney also repeated the information she gave last week: that Republicans were afraid to convict Trump in his second impeachment trial because they were frightened for their lives. You may recall that the chair of the House Intelligence Committee, Adam Schiff (D-CA) said something similar in his closing remarks in January 2020 at Trump’s first impeachment trial, and Republicans claimed to be outraged. Senator James Lankford (R-OK) told reporters: “That’s insulting and demeaning to everyone to say that we somehow live in fear and that the president has threatened all of us.”

And yet, sixteen months later, here we are.

Cheney is not the only Republican who is turning on the former president and his loyalists. Last night, Trump posted a statement claiming that “the entire Database of Maricopa County in Arizona”—where the bizarre “audit” is underway—“has been DELETED!” The statement goes on to make sweeping claims about “this unbelievable Election crime,” and so on.

But, in real time, the Republican recorder of Maricopa County wrote on Twitter in response to Trump’s statement: “Wow. this is unhinged,” Stephen Richer wrote. “I’m literally looking at our voter registration database on my other screen. Right now.” He went on: “We can’t indulge these insane lies any longer. As a party. As a state. As a country. This is as readily falsifiable as 2+2=5. If we don’t call this out….”

And Maricopa County did call it out. In a remarkable Twitter thread, the Maricopa County official account destroyed the effort by the private company Cyber Ninjas to recount the 2020 votes in that county. “The 2020 elections were run w/ integrity, the results certified by the county & state were accurate, & the 2 independent audits conducted by the County are the true final word on the subject,” the account said. “We know auditing. The Senate Cyber Ninja audit is not a real audit.” The account went on to list all the many ways in which this audit is simply a propaganda effort to shore up the Big Lie that the election was stolen.

This weekend we also learned that Joel Greenberg, the former tax collector for Seminole County, Florida, will plead guilty to six charges in federal court tomorrow. Greenberg is the man Florida Representative Matt Gaetz, a Trump loyalist, used to call his “wingman,” and Greenberg has worked his way down from the 33 original charges against him by promising to cooperate with prosecutors, presumably to offer information about people above him in the food chain, possibly including Gaetz. On Friday, media reported that witnesses could place Gaetz at a party with Greenberg, as well as lots of cocaine and sex workers, one of whom ended up with a “no-show” government job.

Gaetz has compared the accusations that he has been “falsely accused of exchanging money for naughty favors” with congressional earmarks.

I’m afraid I have no idea what point Gaetz is trying to make, but I’m flagging all three of these stories because they illustrate an important point: that a one-party state is bad even for the party that holds a monopoly and that, together, these stories reveal that the Republican Party is nearing the end of its dominant run in our democracy.

One of the key functions of a strong opposition party in a functioning democracy is oversight. Human nature being what it is, there are going to be bad eggs in every organization, including governments. It is in everyone’s best interest to expose the Joel Greenbergs of a party long before they hit 33 federal indictments and threaten to torpedo a highly visible lawmaker. But by marginalizing the Democrats through voter suppression, gerrymandering, and media attacks, the Republicans undermined that oversight and grew some terribly outsized scandals.

Manipulating the system to gain power without oversight, a party can close ranks even to the point that its members are afraid to speak out. The contrast between the fury unleashed when Schiff said lawmakers were afraid for their lives and Cheney’s acknowledgement of that fear illustrates what a closed circuit the Republican Party became under Trump. It could be, of course, that their fear is entirely new, but it seems more likely that they rejected the oversight that would have helped them throw off Trump before it got to the point that party members were afraid to speak out for fear of their own safety.

This sort of political domination might seem like a great victory, but it is actually suicidal in the long run. The party becomes so extreme that it finally alienates even its own members, like the Maricopa elections officials or Representative Cheney. They turn on the party leadership. And if they join with the party’s opposition, they can empower the regime’s opponents, enabling them to restore voting rights, end gerrymandering, and make the playing field level again. This restoration of fairness swings the pendulum away from the dominant party pretty dramatically.

The fear that the American people will end the Republican Party’s dominance, of course, explains why Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has declared that his primary goal in this Congress is to make sure the Democrats cannot pass the For the People Act to make voting easier, end partisan gerrymandering, and end the influence of big money in politics. McConnell and the Republicans want to protect Trump’s corporate tax cuts, and to do that, it is imperative that they regain control of Congress. And for that, they need the tools they have developed over the past generation, tools the For the People Act would take away.

It’s a Catch-22. To win, the Republicans need to hamstring the opposition. But as they did that over the last generation, they undercut the oversight that would have kept the party healthy. Now the Republican Party runs the risk of alienating voters it desperately needs as it faces a scandal of sex and drugs, a profoundly troubled election “audit,” accusations that party members are afraid to speak out because they fear for their lives, and suggestions from the former third-ranking official in the House Republican conference that the first official in the conference should be subpoenaed.

—-

Notes:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/cheney-sunday-show-interviews-gop-leadership-ouster

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/gop-senators-incensed-schiff-head-pike-remark-impeachment-trial-n1122761

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/14/politics/liz-cheney-republican-party-cnntv/index.html

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Spectacular. Last time I visited Disney Land only two security guard were killed by the tourists and those two got up to be killed another day. Disney kids cannot begin to compete with the Capitol tourists on 1/6.

We have some very sick people getting elected and I cannot understand why.
  • edited May 2021
    The Capitol Hill politicians who are ignoring the CAPITOL INSURRECTION (or gaslighting) have abdicated responsibility and should be removed from office. I find it difficult to comprehend how one very flawed individual can be so influential over many of our politicians and citizens.
    It's a sad state of affairs and a regrettably shameful situation.
  • One way to get the ball rolling is to end Citizens United and divorce 45 from his funds.
  • +1 Anna The concept of unlimited guns and white supremacy/privilege is a powerful elixir for too many !
  • edited May 2021
    Typo: not Capital Hill. It's Capitol Hill. :) Yes, the current crop of elected gaslighters are in fact TRAITORS. The Repugnant Party has been engaged in obstruction and gaslighting ever since the days when Gingrich The Newt was House Speaker in the '90s. At LEAST for that long. And Ronny Ray-guns? "The Great Communicator?" Makes me laugh loudly. Just speaks to the reality of dumbed-down standards, all around. There were days when Dem. Eddie Boland (MA-2) and Repub. Silvio Conte (MA-1) could belong to different Parties, have differences, but still share a common matrix of VALUES and PRIORITIES for the US of A. And they could have drinks together at the end of the day, too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Hill
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Boland
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_O._Conte

• edited May 2021
    Crash said:

Typo: not Capital Hill. It's Capitol Hill. :)
    Yes, the current crop of elected gaslighters are in fact TRAITORS.

Thanks - the typo was corrected.
    I agree that the gaslighting politicians are traitors!
  • edited May 2021
    Here are some snippets from Ms. Richardson's May 20th newsletter:

"Dramatically, Republicans have come out this week against an investigation into the January 6 insurrection. This is a transparent attempt to protect former president Trump, as well, perhaps, as some of their own members; House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) today refused to say whether he thought members of his caucus had communicated with the January 6 rioters."

"This objection to an investigation of an attack of such magnitude is breathtaking. We have always had investigations of attacks on our country; Republicans themselves held 7 congressional investigations and 33 hearings about the 2012 attack on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya, that killed 4 Americans."

"Today, journalist David Freedlander reminded us that in January, a number of Republican lawmakers, including McCarthy, argued against impeaching then-president Trump for inciting the January 6 insurrection because, they said, a 'fact-finding commission' was important. 'I believe impeaching the president in such a short time frame would be a mistake,' said McCarthy. 'No investigations have been completed. No hearings have been held….'”

"And yet, McCarthy and the Republican leadership are now opposing the creation of a bipartisan commission, although the Democrats gave them all their demands: equal representation on the commission, the power to subpoena witnesses, and a final report before the end of the year."

Electoral success and obstructing legislation beneficial for ordinary Americans seem to be the overarching goals of many Republican lawmakers.
  • Cult, not Party.
  • Unfortunately,74 million+ are proud to support this cult !
  • The mind reels does it not.
  • Mark said:

The mind reels does it not.

Truth, indeed.
  • The disintegration of the Republican Party and it's diminution to a cult is really remarkable. Look, I'm a lifelong Democrat- so do I think that they are faultless, always pure, and always possess the best solution to any and all problems? Of course not. Sometimes the best that can be said about them is that they are the least evil choice.

But I have to say- at this moment, compared to what's left of the Republican Party, they can really hold their heads high. But then that's really not much of a challenge, is it?
  • edited May 2021
    Whatever you want to call it or however you want to explain it away, the fact remains that Biden is polling around 52%. Cult? Yes. But seems to be working. 52% is nothing to hang your hat on. Throw in the tilt to agrarian states inherent in the electoral college and the election in three years is damn close - no matter what or whom the Republicans decide to run. Throw in a recession or even modest stock market decline by than and things get ugly.

I wish you all could sit through a live production of “Cabaret” as I did on three occasions in NYC several years ago. Through the play’s intricate mix of comedic humor, sensuousness, decadence, nascent “under the surface” racism and patriotic fervor one views a society’s slow devolution into self destructive fanaticism. At first the small but growing legion of Nazi “fruitcakes” parading around the streets in funny military garb were considered freaks of nature, harmless - a temporary phenomenon. Over time, more and more people began to accept them as a legitimate, respectable social and political force. The play (staring one of my favorites, Alan Cumming) was riveting.

The film version with Liza Minnelli ain’t bad either - but fails to make the intimate connection with audience the play does. An unforgettable line from the film version occurs when a wealthy industrialist watching a raucous Nazi rally says to a stunned onlooker, “We’re letting them continue for now. We can control them any time we want to.”
    -

Postscript : As the Richardson piece mentions Cheney’s efforts, a couple additional observations: First, “The enemy of my enemy is my friend.” But beyond that, I don’t see starting a third party as a panacea for Democrats. Chances are it could siphon off enough Dem & “undecided” votes to hand Trump the victory. (Should he be serving time, look for either his daughter or son-in-law to run.)
  • bingo.
  • edited May 2021
    Yeah - Bingo that quote from the film.

The postscript was tacked on after @Crash’s comment - just so folks realize that.