Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Vaccination of US populationas of March 12, 2021

Excerpt from Heather Cox Richardson reporting,
On the one hand is a Democratic administration determined to use the government to fight the coronavirus and rebuild the country. Forty years after President Ronald Reagan announced that “government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem,” President Biden and his team are using the vaccine program to demonstrate what the federal government can do.

When he took office, Biden promised to deliver 100 million shots within his first 100 days. Today, the U.S. passed the landmark of administering more than 100 million vaccines. This includes 16.5 million administered under the previous administration, but since today also set a record of 2.9 million vaccines given, Biden should significantly surpass his initial goal.

In his first prime-time address last night, the president directed states, territories, and tribal governments to make all adults eligible to get the vaccine by May 1. To meet this milestone, the federal government will launch a new website to enable people to find vaccines, allow new vaccinators—dentists, paramedics, and midwives—and establish new vaccine locations.

Biden promised not to relent until we beat the virus, and asked Americans to do their part by getting the vaccine and helping friends and family get one, too. “[I]f we do all this, if we do our part, if we do this together -- by July the Fourth, there’s a good chance you, your family and friends will be able to get together in your backyard or your neighborhood and have a cookout and a barbecue and celebrate Independence Day.... After this long hard year, that will make this Independence Day something truly special.”

“The government isn’t some foreign force in a distant capital,” Biden said. “It’s us. All of us. We the people.”

I subscribe to Moyer & Company. The daily reporting from Heather Cox Richardson is excellent. Heather teaches American history at Boston College. She is the author of a number of books, most recently, How the South Won the Civil War: Oligarchy, Democracy, and the Continuing Fight for the Soul of America. She writes the popular nightly newsletter Letters from an American.

Comments

• @Sven- yes, I've been getting her daily email posts for a while now since you mentioned her some time ago. Thanks for that. Always been a Moyers fan.

OJ
  • edited March 2021
    @Old_Joe, I believe it was your posting on Heather that got me interested in the first place. Her writing are so informative on complex subjects. I too been a big fan of Bill Moyer on PBS. I believe he is retired now.
  • Todays letter on Maine obtaining statehood was priceless.
  • Yes, it certainly was.
  • I, too, have subscribed to HC Richardson. I don't always read it, each day. Predictably agreeable, mostly, with my own opinions.
  • edited March 2021
    I also subscribe to her 'Letters from an American' newsletter which I read most days.
    I appreciate the historical context that Ms. Richardson often provides.
    Tonight's newsletter about the appointment of Representative Deb Haaland as Secretary of the Interior Department is a good example. It summarizes the early history of the Interior Department and its impact on indigenous people's lives.
  • edited March 2021
    +1.
    There's a parallel, very negative saga out of Canada about the way religiously-sponsored Residential Schools abused their native Canadian students: members of the First Nations, as they are officially called these days. By the way, among the more famous First Nations fellows (to Americans) is an actor named Chief Dan George. A leader of the Salish Band in British Columbia. Featured in "Josie Wales" with uncle Clint Eastwood, and in "Little Big Man." Others too, surely.
    Indulge me:

and:
  • The content from the subject are rich and well written, something not readily find in today journalism.
  • Received my second Pfizer shot today. No symptoms whatsoever.
  • Congratulations! Got mine yesterday and have the second appointment in 4 weeks later. No worse symptoms than flu shots.
  • I know of only two reactions from either vaccine with the first shot. With both cases, they had had Covid, but not to the point of having to be hospitalized. Both had a lot of muscle cramps, fever, headache and fatigue that lasted for 3-4 days. No loss of appetite or related; so, they were able to maintain hydration and food intake.
    Israel and Mayo clinic are studying these circumstances.
  • @catch22, I had Moderna vaccine and had some soreness on my arm within the first 24 hours. No other effect you described. Now I am working in the garden feeling fine. All the precautions we have taken in the last 13 months have paid off. As a country we still have more to go to achieve herd immunity. So we will keep wearing mask.

Long hauler stories are scary. A neighbor who recovered from COVID is now having much weaker lung capacity. He is limited to sea level elevation since he have hard time breathing above 3,000 feet. The Pacific Nothwest have a number of mountain ranges in excess of 10,000 feet.
  • @Sven We've both had the 2 shots of Pfizer and only had slight tenderness at the injection site.
  • Count ourselves the lucky ones who received the vaccines. Now we have three FDA approved vaccines, the challenge is to deliver them to the 340 million American. Rather than letting each state to fight for their vaccines, Biden has enlisted FEMA to coordinate and deliver the vaccine to the points of vaccination. The pace of vaccination has quicken rapidly and I am thankful to qualified for the vaccine while my family members are waiting for their turns. Other family members in Midwest have all been vaccinated. Getting an appointment through various websites has been messy due to the shortage. J&J one-shot vaccine is made available on the east coast, Hopefully it will made its way out west where it will alleviate the bottleneck.
  • Mine will be Pfizer, 1st coming next Saturday.
  • @Sven - I hope that you forgive me for taking your thread topic slightly off course but I thought that the French version of the Fauci ouchie might lighten things up a bit. These are friends of mine RV'ing in Europe. Enjoy.

You Can't Always Get What You Want
  • @Mark, no problem. Your friends are so lucky doing that. Next time we will tour Europe by rail and boat as we are nearly empty nesters. Years ago I car camp all over the Banff and Jasper National Parks. What a beautiful part of country!