Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Martin Ratio and MFO Premium

New to MFO ... so forgive the ignorance. I am enjoying reading the discussions on mutual funds in my portfolio or on my watch list. That said, I'm exploring the MFO premium and looked at the sample pages. I found the Martin ratio and then looked up the definition of what it is. Here's my question - is a higher or lower number better for the Martin ratio? The Definitions page doesn't really explain that simplistically.

Comments

• Higher Martin Ratios are better. When I search in an asset class, I look for high Martin ratios and a lot of blue colored rating boxes for a particular mutual fund and that's where I usually buy. Not foolproof, but the best fund finder that I can find.
  • Thank you! Moderator can delete this post if they wish. I appreciate the answer. I'm thinking about purchasing MFO premium.
  • Martin is a risk adjusted return metric like Sharpe, but instead of dividing excess return by standard deviation volatility, it uses so-called "Ulcer Index" volatility. Ulcer Index is measure of drawdown depth and duration.

Ulcer Index

A Look At Risk Adjusted Returns
  • edited March 2021
    @Jon. Please send me an email if you'd like a Zoom session illustrating the latest features of premium site. Happy to do. We will likely have another webinar as well in April. c
  • @Bitzer. "Not foolproof, but the best fund finder that I can find." Love it! c
  • Oh... I signed up for MFO premium. Absolutely love it. Sent you a suggestion on ratings changes / alerts. But just love the premium. So valuable. Thanks @Charles
  • edited March 2021

Oh... I signed up for MFO premium. Absolutely love it. Sent you a suggestion on ratings changes / alerts. But just love the premium. So valuable. Thanks @Charles

Bear in mind when looking at the list of Great Owls, funds do frequently drop out of the list and their ratings (including Martin) change. Nothing is guaranteed, so use all the info with that in mind.

Doing my DD on this site and elsewhere, I invested in one well researched and documented fund in the Great Owls list and a) it was a terrible laggard and b) it dropped off the list shortly after I committed myself.

Despite its undoubted usefulness the Great Owls list is not the holy grail of mutual finds.