Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Best Funds To Own In 2021

edited December 2020 in Fund Discussions
Hello

Many good funds to look at especially Fidelity schwab Vanguard families

Thank you Mr Bolin for a good read
Kind regards
Happy holidays

Best Funds To Own In 2021

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4394450-best-funds-to-own-in-2021
Dec. 13, 2020 12:00 PM ETAOM, ARBIX, BASIX...2

Summary
Over 300 no load mutual funds available to small investors, nearly 200 exchange-traded funds, and over a dozen closed-end funds representing 120 Lipper Categories are ranked.
The funds are ranked based on Risk, Risk Adjusted Performance, Momentum, Quality, Yield, and Consistency. They are divided into 15 investment buckets for risk, exposure, yields and trends.
The funds are reported by short-term performance including three-month returns and trends, ten-month moving average, fund flows, maximum draw downs, and yield.

Comments

• Thanks for share. There are few there I've had under consideration when I do portfolio realignment in the beginning of the year, and some I already have. Unfortunately I am unable to do ETF's in my 401k brokerage account, (mutual funds only) and some buckets are ETF exclusive. Would love to see this for mutual funds only.
    Have a great New Year!
  • Thanks for reading and the comments. @johnN, Thanks for posting.

@MJPete, I have different views set up. Do you have a particular fund family that you are restricted to?
  • I bought DIVO during the COVID pullback in March. Several years ago, I had spoken with the subadvisor, Capital Wealth Planning in Naples, FL about a separately managed account based on this strategy. Why bother when you can buy DIVO?
  • I bought DIVO during the COVID pullback in March. Several years ago, I had spoken with the subadvisor, Capital Wealth Planning in Naples, FL about a separately managed account based on this strategy. Why bother when you can buy DIVO?

DIVO trades just like CII with a little less volatility, nice if you prefer an ETF over a CEF. Solid pick.
  • I can't understand why SWAN has a low ranking. It has to offer amongst the best risk-reward over it's short life, CAGR 15.9 Sharp 1.59 Max DD 5.06.

I agree, @little5bee on DIVO. I don't own it, but I like Amplify. The fund has been around since 2017 and has $140M in assets. I do prefer ETFs over CEFs, and the yield is competitive.

Thanks for reading.
  • wxman123 said:

I can't understand why SWAN has a low ranking. It has to offer amongst the best risk-reward over it's short life, CAGR 15.9 Sharp 1.59 Max DD 5.06.

@waxman, Thanks for reading and commenting. Here is an explanation that I just posted on Seeking Alpha:

The Ranking system is good but not perfect. This article exploited some of areas, such as my lowest ranked funds, where an investor may follow shorter term trends instead of the ranking system. The benefit is that the spreadsheet does millions of calculations and provides good insights that would be impossible to keep straight without it.
    One thing that hurts SWAN is its Lipper Category, "Large Cap Core", because I use the average bear market performance of the Lipper Category for the past three bear markets. It would be better classified as an "Alternative" in my opinion. Low yield also hurts. Momentum has been low during the past three months. Finally, Consistency is the percent of times the fund performed average or better during its life up to 13 years. It did great in 2020, but not 2020 for the Large-Cap Core Category.
  • Received my weekly Capital Wealth Planning email today:

• edited December 2020
    What am I missing? The only plain old regular vanilla Domestic stock fund I see is SPY.
  • dryflower said:

What am I missing? The only plain old regular vanilla Domestic stock fund I see is SPY.

@dryflower,
    I track plenty of plain old regular vanilla domestic stock as well. They just didn't make the list for low risk stocks. Here are the large cap core funds that I track. I also track multi-cap, median, and small cap.

Regards,
    Lynn

Name, Symbol, Rank, MaxDD, APR, Rtn 3 mon, Trend, Flow, Yield, SMA10
    State Street SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust, (SPY), 72.9, -19.5, 16.7, 3.9, 6, 4.7, 1.57, -1
    Vanguard Large-Cap Index ETF, (VV), 67, -19.6, 18, 4.5, 6.3, -4.2, 1.56, -0.2
    Schwab 1000 Index, (SNXFX), 66.8, -20.3, 17.6, 5.1, 6.7, 0.1, 1.57, -0.8
    Fidelity US Sustainability Index, (FITLX), 66.4, -19.1, 17.3, 4.1, 6, 5.4, 1.11, -1.1
    BlackRock iShares ESG Aware USA ETF, (ESGU), 66.1, -19.3, 19, 4.6, 6.5, 8.7, 1.34, 0.4
    Schwab US Large-Cap ETF, (SCHX), 62.9, -20, 17.8, 4.8, 6.5, 0.8, 1.81, -0.5
    Hartford Core Equity Y, (HGIYX), 60.7, -19.9, 18.3, 5.6, 6.2, 1.7, 0.79, -2.1
    BlackRock MSCI KLD 400 Social ETF, (DSI), 59.3, -18.8, 18.5, 4.1, 6.1, 2.9, 1.28, 0.4
    BlackRock USA Quality Factor ETF, (QUAL), 58.3, -19.4, 17.5, 4.9, 6.3, 15.4, 1.47, -1.4
    Vanguard 500 Index Admiral, (VFIAX), 57.4, -19.6, 16.8, 3.9, 6, -8.9, 1.6, -1.1
    Fidelity SAI US Large Cap Index, (FLCPX), 54.8, -19.7, 16.8, 3.9, 6, 7.9, 1.92, -1.1
    BlackSwan Growth & Treasury Core ETF, (SWAN), 42.3, -5, 16.2, 0.8, 3.1, 0.4, 0.57, 5.1
    T Rowe Price Dividend Growth, (PRDGX), 37.2, -18.8, 15.2, 5.8, 6.1, 0.5, 1.1, -3.6
    Vanguard Growth & Income Inv, (VQNPX), 29, -20.4, 15.6, 3.6, 5.9, -17.9, 1.39, -1.4
    Provident Trust Strategy, (PROVX), 19.1, -15.3, 16.6, 5.5, 6, -0.1, 0.45, 1
    Fidelity Magellan, (FMAGX), 16.5, -16, 21.7, 0.6, 3.9, -0.6, 0.26, 5.8

• DIVO looks interesting ... I've always considered SCHD as my go-to for that kind of thing. Didn't know about DIVO until now, though.
  • @lynnbolin2021

@MJPete, I have different views set up. Do you have a particular fund family that you are restricted to?
    Hello again, and thank you. I apologize for rambling I'm new to the sight looking to increase my knowledge and technique. I run a loose bucket strategy that I just need to tune up knowing I don't have a lot of down market protection.

Not as much a fund that I'm restricted to but whatever Pershing has set up, which is inconsistent and has wide variations of fund classes. Blackrock, Fidelity, Vanguard, Franklin incur fees which are manageable with large enough transactions.

I just spent about two hours scrubbing for class shares of alternates to your list and T.Rowe Price Global Stock is available, though I wish Capital Appreciation was, (but has been closed for some time now. I'm hoping the new management house they just announced will open it (and a few others up in the future)

The others I am interested in are share classes with $1m-5m min. exchanges, or just as ETF, so not available. I appreciate your offer run a different view.
  • @MJPete

Welcome to MFO.

It sounds like you only have access to institutional funds. I wasn't sure if you can buy ETFs in your plan. The first list is ETFs only. They are ranked from #1 to #4 per bucket. The next list is all share classes of open funds with $1M or more in minimum investments which should be institutional funds. Some institutional funds are available to retail investors with smaller minimums. My email address is below if you have questions or want more information on these funds.

Bucket #1, SPSB, VCSH, SCHO, ISTB
    Bucket #2, QLTA, AOK, SPTI
    Bucket #3, CWB, HNDL, ICVT, AOM
    Bucket #4, SCHD, ESGV, SDG, NTSX
    Sector, FUTY, SRVR, INDS, XLU
    Global Bond, BGRN, IAGG, CEMB, IHY
    Global Equity, VIGI, VSGX, IHDG, FLJP
    Income, DIAL, VCIT, JMBS, ANGL
    Inflation, SCHP, LTPZ, IAU, XLB
    Municipal Bond, MMIN, HTAB, JMST, SUB
    Alternatives, UCON, QYLD, QAI, PHDG
    Trending, FLJP, XSOE, NUSC, XLB
    Cross, AOM, IMTM, FMAT
    Bottom, FUTY, XLU, FLJP, FIW

Bucket #1, SSFIX, FTRBX, JIBFX, BIBTX, WATFX, GMDYX, GSFIX
    Bucket #2, DCPYX, WACPX, GSNIX, TLTIX, TLFIX, PTSAX, PTTRX
    Bucket #3, TLHIX, TLQIX, TLWIX, TLYIX, PBPNX, LIBKX, PPZRX
    Bucket #4, TISPX, TLLIX, TLXIX, WFSPX, TTIIX, CMGIX, HLEIX
    Sector, VCRIX, TOLIX
    Global Bond, PFORX, EELDX, PEBIX, PHSPX, MGHYX, MAWIX, TEDNX
    Global Equity, MFAIX, SGARX, RAIIX, TINGX, WBIIX, BEEIX, TBWIX
    Income, PTRIX, OMBIX, GSUPX, MSUMX, TSIIX, CBFVX, PLRIX
    Inflation, GSIPX, PRRIX, BPRIX, PRAIX, TIILX, AAAZX
    Municipal Bond, MMHIX, PHMIX, PFMIX, PMNIX, TIMUX, UMBPX, GHYIX
    Alternatives, WMNUX, JHEQX, BSIIX, JSISX, BILPX, LAOIX, PQTIX
    Trending, TSIIX, EELDX, PHSPX, JHEQX, BSIIX
    Cross, TLQIX, BSIIX, MZCSX
    Bottom, EELDX, PEBIX, PHSPX, BHYIX, GHYIX

Regards,
    Lynn
    [email protected]
  • I believe emerging markets will be good and I have used EMQQ which took this year to improve.