Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Seeking Yield With Safety

2»

Comments

• FD1000: It maybe the only way in,( to acquire the fund).

Different strokes for different folks, Derf
  • FD1000 said:

wxman123 said:

FD1000 said:

MWTRX is a good fund but GIBLX has a better record for 1-3-5 years.
    Both are not funds I use since I'm mainly a bond investor in the last several years and their past performance (6% average for 3 years) will not happen in the future.
    I'm also not impressed by LT record, DODGX had a great record years ago but now it trails the "stupid" index SPY for 10 years already

BTW, I used to be at 80-90% equities until several years prior to retirement where I change gradually to more bonds.

Can you please explain your comment? Are you saying that you won't buy a fund with good performance because it can't keep up? Not sure how you can be confident that a newer fund will outperform established winners. I have substantial positions in both MWTRX and GIBLX, a very big fan of the latter.
    For the average Joe investor: KISS investing
    1) I believe in using up to 5 (maybe 7) funds
    2) The core portion should be about 70% and use very cheap indexes, the rest may be in managed funds that have something special.
    3) Hardly trade which means looking at your portfolio 1-2 times annually and make small adjustments of 1-2 funds.

With that in mind:
    1) Core: I would use SPY/VTI for most of my stocks. BIV as my generic bond fund.
    Explore: PRWCX, VWIAX, PIMIX.
    2) Let's check MWTRX and GIBLX in the last 5 years. I don't see MWTRX as anything more/special beyond BIV but GIBLX is different enough which is why I may use it in my explore portion. See 5 year chart.
    1) I'm a flexible investor with specific goals. Making over 6% annually using mainly bond funds, be positive every year, SD < 3, never lose 3% from any last top.

2) I mainly hold very concentrated portfolio of 2-3 funds. I may own a fund, weeks or years. I held PIMIX for 6-7 years, PHMIX for 3 years, IOFIX easily over 50% in the last 3 years.
    3) Even if I own a fund for years, I may sell it for days to several weeks when market conditions are extreme which is one of my goals. This is not your usual trader as someone who buys 10 stocks and keep changing them.
    Well, BIV and MWTRX will get you to the same place over time...but MWTRX has an SD of 3.53 (Sharpe 1.29) versus 5.19/.89 for BIV (still a big fan of BIV when I don't want to get locked into a mutual fund). I must say FD you are quite impressive in your trading skill, no doubt about that but I do question whether you might also get to the same place just holding quality bond funds like these two and say PIMIX. You say you've had very large positions in IOFAX and I recall you jumping out before it cratered, but had you guessed wrong you would have lost significant life savings in a matter of days. I could not live with that possibility...so I'd rather make my 5% to 6% by combining PIMIX with MWTRX, which is what PV say I would have made on average since 2008.

• I guess if you don't own PRWCX, VLAAX is a pretty decent alternative. Not thrilled with the ER, but if I didn't own PRWCX in large numbers, I'd strongly consider it.
  • edited November 2020
    On the other hand, VLAIX, the other share class of VLAAX, has a reasonable ER of 0.83% for a fund with relatively low AUM.

Fred
  • edited November 2020
    Warning, while past performance of VLAIX looks good the fund invests in high-rated bonds while PRWCX is not and a lot more flexible. That worked well so far when rates were going down but rates are probably were at their lowest point.
    In the last 3 months...PRWCX 8%...VLAIX-VLAAX only 4.6-7%...SPY 7.95%
  • edited November 2020
    FD said: "In the last 3 months...PRWCX 8%...VLAIX-VLAAX only 4.6-7%..."

That's all well and good, FD, but why do you keep bringing up PRWCX when it is closed to new investors and, therefore, not an option for those members who prefer to invest in a balanced fund.

Can you suggest another fund in the 50-70% allocation category that has as excellent a risk/reward profile as VLAIX/VLAAX?

For example, the fund's M* total return percentile rank in its category is as follows:
    YTD = 14
    3 year = 1
    5 year = 3
    10 year = 3

Fred

• @FD1000. Control. Less bullshit.
  • Crash said:

@FD1000. Control. Less bullshit.

Please let me know where is the BS, be specific.

============

Fred495: That's all well and good, FD, but why do you keep bringing up PRWCX when it is closed to new investors

First, I have posted about VLAIX several times and said it was a good fund. See one (example)
    Second, many investors I know own PRWCX and why I still mention it.

• msf said:

The cap gains in 2018 and 2019 (there were no dividend distributions) did average 6%+, but over four years I can't see how, even after adding income divs and cap gains together, one could average 6%.

My data source is Fidelity's distribution page for the fund. I've verified the total distribution figures at the source: https://knowledgeleadersfunds.com/

Thank you, @msf
    I looked at your sources, and something is not right on the SA GAVIX Dividend TAB.
    Regards, Lynn
  • @FD1000 Which cash back credit card allows you pay property taxes with no fee?
  • msf
    edited November 2020
    So long as you get more back on your CC than you pay in service fees, you come out ahead by charging taxes. (This ignores any impact on your credit score of a possibly large charge.)

For example, Pay1040.com charges 1.87% for IRS payments. Fidelity's Reward Visa and Citibank's Double Cash MC each return 2%.

Fees on property tax charges vary by locality. If you live in, say, suburban Atlanta specifically Gwinett County, all the fees are waived right now. There, the answer to the question of which cards allow residents to pay their property taxes with no fee would be: all of them.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-news/credit-debit-card-fees-eliminated-for-gwinnett-property-tax-payments/RDALEKRJG5DHVMOKGLIHOWSQZY/
  • edited November 2020

@FD1000 Which cash back credit card allows you pay property taxes with no fee?

Fidelity 2% cash back. The fee is decided by the county/city not the credit card. This year was the first time I was able to pay the county by credit card with zero fees.
    The city one is years already.
    From memory, in previous years the county was charging more than 2% and why I didn't do it.

• Yes, I understand how it works, just doesn't seem worth it to get another credit card if the city or county charges 1.7ish% and Fidelity pays 2% cash back. Or else my property taxes are low
  • I leisure travel a lot, so I like the points I get with Chase Sapphire Preferred.