Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The vaccine is here

Trump told us the vaccine is in within weeks. Another Trump win.
Sure, he has nothing to do with that. If Biden was in charge it would take much longer.

Comments

• @FD1000
    Sure, he has nothing to do with that. If Biden was in charge it would take much longer.
    Your own sentences contradict themselves. And the vaccine isn't here until it's actually distributed, just very promising results that you yourself admit Trump had nothing to do with.
  • edited November 2020
    @FD1000: Evidently you missed this part:
    "the vice-president, Mike Pence, tried to claim their administration’s Operation Warp Speed programme had helped the vaccine’s development."

Pfizer denied the suggestion:
    We were never part of the Warp Speed,” Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice-president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said in an interview. “We have never taken any money from the US government, or from anyone.”
    If you check your financial facts with the same lack of integrity that you do your "news" quotes it's a wonder that you have much of anything in the way of financial resources. So what wonderfulness exactly is Trump trying to take fake credit for now?

"Another Trump win."

Lies upon lies upon lies until the bitter end.

• @FD1000,

You need to know the facts. The vaccines are still in Phase III testing. Today's results from Pfizer is very encouraging, but there is lots of work before they are "distributed" to the general population. Key challenges are:

1. How to scale-up production of billions of dosage

2. Packaging that can survive the temperature that the vaccine requires to store and ship. Moderna and Pfizer vaccines require to store at -2 C and -60 C, respectively. That is dry ice temperature that typical glass vials would fracture readily. AstaZeneca, Merck and J&J can stored in refrigerator temperature.

3. Dry ice shipping and storage is not common for medicines while refrigerated shipping is common. Also most pharmacy are not equipped with deep freezers, expect for hospitals and special clinics.

4. All of the above pose considerable challenges for distributing to the general population. And there are those who refuse to take this vaccine.

So call "promise" means nothing...
  • Well, I, for one, am hopeful at the prospect of visiting, as in sitting inside, Dairy Queen for a blizzard. I wish Pfizer all the luck in completing the test phases successfully. I congratulate the scientists, medical professionals and engineers at BioNTech and Pfizer for these promising results.
  • I'm sure with you on that, @Anna.
  • Me too. @Anna - make mine a Heath Bar Crunch blizzard please.
  • Our family really enjoy Dairy Queen (or eating out anywhere) before COVID.
  • "Another Trump Win." As if there were others. Fake news.
  • edited November 2020
    The usual, unbalanced emotional lib responses.
    Cuomo, the guy that literally signed for thousands of deaths in NY said "it was "bad news" that a coronavirus vaccine could be released while President Trump is still in office"
    (link)
  • FD1000 said:

The usual, unbalanced emotional lib responses.
    Cuomo, the guy that literally signed for thousands of deaths in NY said "it was "bad news" that a coronavirus vaccine could be released while President Trump is still in office"
    (link)

Come on FD, You can't be that English impaired not to know what you are saying is a lie. Anything you post from Fox is going to be lying spin. Cuomo was talking about the distribution plan, not as Tucker and the doctor claimed that he said the vaccine was bad news. Trump and his team of idiots do not have the skills to set up a distribution plan that will serve the people who need it first and get it distributed as fast as possible. He will be at most a month into it until he is kicked out, and then Biden will have to change it to something that works. Worst president ever and an embarrassment to the United States.
    And speaking of killing people, Trump is responsible for many deaths due to his half-assed handling of COVID, his ridiculous messaging on it, and his maskless rallies that ended up killing at least 600 people who attended them and then died of COVID.

• "The usual, unbalanced emotional lib responses."

@FD1000- You mean like refusing to acknowledge losing a presidential election? Reality becomes "fake" if it doesn't cooperate with right-wing wishes. Nothing new there.
  • edited November 2020
    It's well known that facts, albeit emotional and unbalanced, have a liberal bias.

• edited November 2020
    Yeah, everybody knows we "Libs" sure don't like BBQ, beer, or freedom...

Wait... hold on a minute... something's not quite right here... :(
  • edited November 2020
    Seriously though, that pic sure captures the essence of the rabid right wing. AND I DON'T MEAN CONSERVATIVES: I mean the rabid right wing. Does that fellow look the least bit "conservative"? Anyone in his vicinity should be thinking about a rabies shot.

To save FD the trouble I suppose that we should stipulate in advance that that pic must have been faked by the mainstream media, since it likely wasn't published by Fox news.
  • edited November 2020
    Old_Joe said:

@FD1000: Evidently you missed this part:

"the vice-president, Mike Pence, tried to claim their administration’s Operation Warp Speed programme had helped the vaccine’s development."

Pfizer denied the suggestion:
    We were never part of the Warp Speed,” Kathrin Jansen, a senior vice-president and the head of vaccine research and development at Pfizer, said in an interview. “We have never taken any money from the US government, or from anyone.”
    If you check your financial facts with the same lack of integrity that you do your "news" quotes it's a wonder that you have much of anything in the way of financial resources. So what wonderfulness exactly is Trump trying to take fake credit for now?

"Another Trump win."

Lies upon lies upon lies until the bitter end.

(link)
    "The Health Secretary told CNBC: "I don't know why they [Pfizer] made that [statement] originally. I've got a 2 billion contract for 100 million doses and an option for 500 million more that says they're very much part of Operation Warp Speed." The U.S. struck the $1.95 billion deal with Pfizer in July."

oops

==================

@FD1000- You mean like refusing to acknowledge losing a presidential election? Reality becomes "fake" if it doesn't cooperate with right-wing wishes. Nothing new there.

I have no problem admitting it and see Biden as the next president...
    But, the Libs refused to acknowledge Trump since day one. Several didn't show up to the inauguration. They opened fake investigations for years. They used the FBI and CIA to make up fake evidence.

(link) McCabe said he was "shocked" by the "significant number of errors and failures related to the FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] applications" to spy on Carter Page, a former adviser on candidate Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. His claim was reminiscent of Captain Renault in the film “Casablanca,” who pretended to be "shocked, shocked" at the gambling in Rick's Cafe as he pocketed his winnings.

Other Libs, including on this board called him racist, orange, made hate comments, death comments, said they will leave the country, said that if you vote GOP you are not American, patriot and/or a traitor.

...and now you want Peace? Unite?

• FD, he's one and done. "Deal with it". No class at all, even on his way out. He dodged the draft and responsibility (for anything) for the past 4 yrs, but he can't dodge the numbers. He never won the popular vote, either - not in 2016 (though I hear the inaugural crowds were tremendous) and not in 2020.

Why are Europeans getting the Pfizer vaccine for a lot less than we will be? Did somebody not negotiate properly on the US side? Huh, imagine that.
  • edited November 2020
    @FD1000-

You are correct- additional information has been released subsequent to that statement by Pfizer. From CNN:

Pfizer's senior vice president and head of vaccine research and development, Kathrin Jansen, publicly distanced the company from the Trump administration's Operation Warp Speed vaccine initiative. Jansen was quoted Monday by The New York Times as saying, "We were never part of the Warp Speed. We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone."

Facts First: Pfizer's vaccine progress is certainly not solely attributable to the Trump administration's Operation Warp Speed public-private partnership program.

It's true that Pfizer, unlike some other pharmaceutical companies, did not accept federal money for research into a coronavirus vaccine. Pfizer, unlike these competitors, is not getting payments up front even before proving its effort has been successful.

However, the Trump administration agreed in July to buy at least $1.95 billion worth of a Pfizer vaccine, at least 100 million doses, if Pfizer does get a vaccine authorized by the Food and Drug Administration.

Three experts told CNN that this purchase promise may have played an important role in expediting Pfizer's vaccine development process. So after Pfizer's initial claim to the New York Times that it has never been part of Operation Warp Speed, CNN asked the company if there was any more nuance to the situation.

In response, Pfizer spokesperson Sharon Castillo provided a statement that said the company is indeed part of Operation Warp Speed.

Unlike the Trump administration, still refusing to acknowledge the election loss, I at least try to acknowledge the facts when new information becomes known.
  • @FD1000
    But, the Libs refused to acknowledge Trump since day one. Several didn't show up to the inauguration.
    How could they have shown up? That place was packed! There had to be a million, a million and a half people there. It was huge! It's true! It's true!

• The governments $1.95 billion paid to Pfizer was for large-scale manufacturing and nationwide distribution. In short, the government intended to buy the vaccinations from Pfizer once the vaccine was made available, but did not fund research and development. Big difference FD but go ahead and spin it.
  • edited November 2020
    JD_co said:

FD, he's one and done. "Deal with it". No class at all, even on his way out. He dodged the draft and responsibility (for anything) for the past 4 yrs, but he can't dodge the numbers. He never won the popular vote, either - not in 2016 (though I hear the inaugural crowds were tremendous) and not in 2020.

Why are Europeans getting the Pfizer vaccine for a lot less than we will be? Did somebody not negotiate properly on the US side? Huh, imagine that.

Easy answer. Americans have been paying much higher prices for decades for prescription. That's because of big pharma lobbing and buying our politicians. Same with our financial institutions.

• @FD1000 Easy answer: That wouldn’t happen if we had Medicare for all and the government allowed Medicare to negotiate with pharmaceutical companies on drug prices. Such negotiations are currently prohibited because of the same corporate lobbyists. Medicare routinely pays less for the same medical procedures, the prices for which it is allowed to negotiate, as private insurance pays.
  • And, to the little guy, the US subsidizes the negotiated prices of other developed countries as well as the free or discounted prices necessary for the poorest of Americans. Little perceived indignities like this may contribute to the overall anger of some of the workers in the US as they perceive their life styles arrested or declined and target the government (right) or big business (left).
  • edited November 2020
    Didn't the Dem controll everything years ago? So why they didn't do it?
    Wait, Obama did the ACA, great idea, terrible implementation. Rates rose to 3-4 times more when you look at ACA for a private insurance.
    My son paid $50+ (under ACA it's $400) until his employer covered him. He used to pay only $50+ when it happened 3 years before. For a couple my age, not under medicare it's $1600-1800 a month with $8-10K deductible, that used to be $400 monthly with only $3000 deductible. Sure, ACA has more coverage but also a guarantee that EVERYBODY pays more.

Luckily, in GA you can still buy short term for 3 years and why rates are at $600-800 and for my son just $50+. Unlucky for NY and CA, they don't have short term and why they must use the ACA.

My friend son + wife came to work in NY, ages 30+31. He called me several weeks ago and told me rates for them are almost $1100 and deductible is also several thousands (can't remember). He couldn't believe it.
    WELCOME TO ACA - the worse legislation in the last several decades.

As I said before our politicians are controlled by the Financial and Pharma/Healthcare lobby.

• This is a good example of diversion. See how an issue about which most people agree becomes a political issue with political ideological arguments almost unrelated to the fact that most Americans agree that we need to lower drug prices. Talking about who is the bad guy in politics solves ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!! It only achieves its goal of status quo wins as people fight over personalities, not problems.
  • Another win for Trump. Moderna vaccine is 94.5% effective. Trump Administration collaborates with Moderna to produce 100 million doses of COVID-19 investigational vaccine already in 08/2020 (link).

Trump has so many wins in such a short time which is amazing considering so many distractions such as fake investigations and corroboration of Obama, Clinton, the Dem politicians with help from the FBI,CIA and the liberal media.

Let's name several:
    1) ISIS is much weaker and was done in just several months
    2) Stronger borders, the wall will help and why many don't want to do it.
    3) Lowering US corp tax from one of the highest in the world.
    4) NATO countries increase their contributions.
    5) IRAQ deal is dead
    6) A new peace wave in the Middle East
    7) US embassy moved to Jerusalem within several months. It was promised for decades
    8) Great economy in years, low unemployment and lowest among blacks and Latinos until the Corona showed up.
    9) Cut regulations increased financial activity
    10) Other countries don't like strong, unpredictable Trump who keeps them on their toes.

and....the economy has been coming back pretty quickly and will get better in 2021.

Remember, in 01/2017 (link)...A pack of Nobel Prize-winning economists gave Donald Trump and his policy plans the thumbs-down on Friday, with one saying the president-elect’s programs could lead to a deep recession.

• edited November 2020
    @FD1000 Point by point almost completely wrong or with terrible consequences. Regarding immigration and the Wall, given what awaits Latino and Syrian refugees who are turned away or deported, that immigration bullet point of yours in a different era would've been "solved the Jewish problem." And given what I suspect about your identity from your posts, you should be ashamed of being proud of that. And given that the Wall is an idiotic waste of money Mexico didn't pay for, etc. etc. A more accurate assessment of the Middle East would be this: https://nytimes.com/2020/10/11/world/middleeast/trump-mideast-successes-failures.html Pulling out of the Iran nuke treaty was a fiasco, as was moving the embassy to disputed territory in Jerusalem. The other peace treaties were a success. Moreover, the corporate taxes you say were so high almost no corporation paid in their entirety so their effective tax rate was much lower than most other countries.

• fd1000 Tried to repeal ACA including eliminating my health insurance. Glad he failed. Goodbye Donald !
  • I'm wondering if he rested on the 7th day or just golfed right through it.
  • edited November 2020
    Re - The vaccine is here,

This woman will be gratified to hear that.
    Texas woman looses 6 relatives, including parents, to Covid

Quoting Jerome Powell today: “Widespread vaccination is still months into the future.”

PS - Speaking of Texas, where did @JohnN go?