Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are your 5 or 6 largest holdings? *Or where are the bulk of your holdings?*

I have 14 accounts so it’s easy to end up with some funds that occupy only 1% of net worth but I have 6 funds that make up 85% of my portfolio. (Without explanation)

20% 401-k Stable Value Fund
20% VTI - Vanguard Total Market in taxable
16% FADMX - Fidelity Strategic Income - I’ve held this fund for years, starting when it was FSICX, it stumbled a bit in March but holding for now.
16% Cash - I know it pays me nothing but I think going forward it will prove to be a better investment than most bond funds.
6% FPURX - Puritan
6% VWELX - Wellington

Comments

• edited September 2020
    Only 7 holdings. Cut way down on stocks, in retirement. But gotta have enough in stocks to MATTER, and to keep up with inflation.
    >No RMDs yet. 6 years to go. But I've begun to tap my biggest holding on a schedule, just once per year--- providing Mr. Market is in a good mood. Otherwise, we can certainly live without it. And I only want to take an amount that I figure will GROW BACK, so it comes out "even-steven." And we're in the 10% bracket, so there's not much of a reason NOT to do it; plus, I have $5,000 in NON-DEDUCTIBLE IRA contributions. I'd like to get my hands on that money, on a schedule, as part of the once-yearly "raid" on the biggest of our holdings.

In order, biggest to smallest:

PRWCX .....30%
    RPSIX .....27%
    PRSNX ......22%
    PTIAX .........8% (non-retirement.)
    PRIDX ......6.60%
    BRUFX .......4% (wife's IRA, TRAD.)
    PRDSX ........2%

57 bonds.
    35 stocks
    6 cash (among the funds)
    2 "other."

The objective is to live comfortably, not exhorbitantly. Enjoy life here in the tropics. The damn Covid killed the opera season, and that sucks. I can't see traveling at all, wearing a f*****g mask. It (mask-wearing) must be done, but I'm not going to CREATE situations that will make me miserable, like a long flight back over to the Mainland. There's enough really stupid people, doing really stupid things, always in the seat right next to you, anyhow. Even in 1st Class. Like the moron next to me last time, who decided the entire cabin needed to be afflicted with the industrial-strength menthol aroma he was inhaling via his nostrils through some stupid contraption made for that purpose--- as if he were sitting alone and in his own living room.

Wifey and I have different tastes. "Opposites attract." The last event we went to TOGETHER was in Honolulu to see "Big Head Todd and the Monsters." It was just ok. A lot of the music was TOO loud and cranky. But THIS one is really good, I think:

• Across all accounts?

RWMGX - my sole 403(b) holding and largest single position anywhere (other than cash)
    VZ
    T
    SO
    EPD
    PRWCX
    CWGIX
  • edited September 2020
    Self managed:
    PRWCX
    MNWAX
    ARTYX
    VLAAX
    AKREX
    TMSRX
    In that order.

Edit: Just to add, the top 6 is about 50% of my total self managed account.
  • PDI
    TGT
    MCD
    PEP
    PCI
    T
    O
  • I couldn't give you the percentages. Never added the IRA's to the taxable account to figure it out.

But roughly speaking, DMBIX, AZTYX, VWIGX, DODGX, and maybe VWELX or VEIRX. I doubt any of those is much above 10-12 of the total.

Like a lot of people here, I seem to be a collector, as much as an investor.

• PIMIX
    PTIAX
    TWEIX
    FBSOX
    PHSKX
    MGGPX and WAMCX pretty close to each other for 6th

• edited September 2020
    1. PRPFX
    2. TMSRX
    3. DODLX
    4. DODBX
    5. PBDIX
    6. RPGAX

The two largest holdings (top) exceed 10%.

I’m not sure what value, if any, this has for others, since they are unaware of the other holdings, how the portfolio is constructed or the age and other circumstances of the individual. To wit: A newly married 25 year old male might invest completely differently from an 80 year old widow. Neither would be “wrong.” Just entirely different circumstances.
  • V Wellington 11.3%
    VTMFX
    VWETX
    BGAFX
    QQQ
    VTCLX .... 3%
  • I’m not sure what value, if any, this has for others, since they are unaware of the other holdings, how the portfolio is constructed or the age and other circumstances of the individual. To wit: A newly married 25 year old male might invest completely differently from an 80 year old widow. Neither would be “wrong.” Just entirely different circumstances.
    Good point Hank! I was primarily looking for investment ideas for all to consider. (For instance, I like the idea the first 2 you listed). I had thought about phrasing it as something like *what funds do you have the most confidence in.*. Which would not necessarily be your largest holdings. C’est la vie.
  • edited September 2020
    Sorry. Didn’t mean to rag on you @Rbrt. Your posted question is fine. I occasionally sit down and look myself at what my “biggies” are, since the various allocation sleeves are all I really care about and pay attention to.

Was reluctant to post my funds for a couple reasons: First, it might mislead some gullible individual out there who thinks I know something more than what they know into buying a fund they don’t need or shouldn’t own. (Rest assured I don’t). Secondly, sometimes folks like to pick a fight and force you into defending those funds you offered up (a waste of time and energy). Are mine the very best funds per category in the entire MF universe? Highly unlikely. Am I comfortable owning them? Yes.

I do have a pet peeve in that it seems to me 90% of our allocation and fund discussions (for a very long time now) omit reference to the type of individual who might benefit from this or that particular type fund. However, compared to turning the board into a screaming dogfight between political rivalries, I can overlook that minor deficit.:)

PS - Thanks to all the others who have posted their largest holdings.
  • "I do have a pet peeve in that it seems to me 90% of our allocation and fund discussions (for a very long time now) omit reference to the type of individual who might benefit from this or that particular type fund."

66, retired, with 20% of a $1M invested. Yes, in round numbers, my entire pot is something more than $200,000.00 right now. A quarter million is in sight, but I'll never get there. I'm MARRIED. ;) What I need from my allocation fund (PRWCX) is great management, performance, and the sense of reassurance I get knowing that in not-so-good years, I'll be getting SOMETHING from the bond portion of the portfolio. As for BRUFX: wife's Trad. IRA. Moved it from 403b with MassMutual. Those suck-holes charge too big of a redemption fee. And lately, the news broke that they are selling their retirement sleeve to another outfit, anyhow. But BRUFX was chosen for stellar consistency, safety, and solid performance--- even though it won't ever "shoot the lights out."
  • CDs (3.0 to 3.55% APY rolling off in ~3.5 years), 77%
    on line savings, 5%, currently paying 0.60% APY
    Dominion DERI account, 6%, currently paying 1.75% APY
    IQDAX, Infinity Q, 5%
    FPFIX, FPA Flexible Income Fund, 2%
    ROSOX, Rondure Overseas Fund, 2%
    AKREX, AKRE Focus Fund, 1%, phasing out aggressively
    TGUNX, TCW Premier New America, 1%, phasing in during down days, will take this up to ~5% of portfolio
    AWK, American Water, 1%

Obviously very conservative, current portfolio supports lifestyle/expenses, me thinks current market is a complete farce due to gov't intervention/manipulation and that within 5 years we will all be "investing" in sports gambling thru our phones to fund our retirement

Do own two homes clear, likely going to sell home in high tax, mis managed Illinois within a year or two, maybe much sooner and move to other home in the mountains of NC

Younger wife still working, good salary, me...not sure if I'm retired or not, not working, not looking but kind of miss the corporate battles but then during a nice day hiking or on the beach don't miss it at all, I'm in my late 50s

Posting for entertainment purposes only.

Good Luck, Good Health to all, go Vote as you see fit,

Baseball_Fan
  • edited September 2020
    Geez - Looks like I stumbled into some extra work.

74, single, retired 22 years. Pension from State of MI in the upper 40s with a 3% annual increase on the original “base” amount. So the 3% annual increase doesn’t compound. Still it’s helpful. That’s an option I paid for in the working years. Social Security adds a bit more but only a fraction of what the pension garners. Had a 403B in workplace dating to the mid 70s, and converted it to IRA after retirement. Own a home with small mortgage and 10 years remaining. Plan to pay it off sooner so that the current payment will convert to a annuity-like income stream. No hurry, as the mortgage rate is well below what my funds generate.

Most years I draw 5-7% from investments to supplement the above mentioned income stream. And roughly every 5-6 years I’ll pull a larger amount out for major expenses like a new vehicle. The original nest-egg has more than doubled over those years (in nominal terms only) despite taking annual distributions. About 70% now in a Roth from 3 post-retirement conversions. I’m slightly more aggressive in the Roth. Some funds like TMSRX are held in both the Roth and Traditional IRA. The Roth is spread directly among 4 fund houses. The Traditional is 100% at TRP and really simplifies the annual RMD calculations.

I’ve always believed in diversifying not just among equity funds, but also into different asset classes, into “oddball” funds (like TMSRX, PRPFX) that might hold up better during an equity rout, and among three or more different fund companies (currently 4). My best guess is my holdings won’t suffer more than a 20% drop in any given year, nor lose more than one-third of their value over a multi-year stretch. That’s merely a guess. I’m comfortable with that degree of potential loss. Being invested directly with several houses is a throwback to earlier years when that was more common. I feel it exerts discipline on me not to “shop around” excessively among a near infinite number of fund offerings out there today.

I don’t run the M* analysis which breaks down total holdings into various assets as @Crash appears to have done. I have my own assessment of what each fund is likely to contribute (or take away from) the portfolio. So each fund is a separate entity with risk / benefit perimeters based on nearly 50 years investing in funds. I’ve always tried to have during retirement an “auto-pilot” portfolio that needs little tinkering. The 5 sleeves are: Balanced Funds (25%), Diversified Income (25%), Alternative Investments (25%), Real Assets (10%) Cash & Speculative (15%). Currently that last one is 2/3 in cash equivalents and 1/3 in 3 speculative equity fund holdings. So net-net cash is at 10%.

I don’t know if this helps anyone else. More important than what I or another here does is the importance of having some kind of plan. Once you have a plan continue to monitor performance and refine it as necessary. Should go without saying that I’ve gradually nudged the plan into a more conservative position with increasing years. My idea of a “good day” is beating the return on TRRIX, a 40/60 balanced fund I’ve long tracked, but don’t own. So If TRRIX falls 5% one day and my holdings only fall 4%, it’s been a successful day. I strongly recommend finding some fund you admire and which meets your risk profile. Compare your returns to that, not to what some anonymous poster on a board says he earned. You don’t know if it’s true or not. And you don’t know or fully appreciate the degree of risk involved in producing that return.

Best investing wishes to everyone.
  • Hey, Hank. THANK you. I've been comparing with TRRIX for a while. You've mentioned it a few times, and your logic makes sense! (So I don't have to quote my late uncle, who was fond of grinning as he told someone: "I don't follow your non-sequitur.")
  • Thanks for the info folk!
    We are 60 & retired. I have always been cautious and currently have age in bonds/cash. As noted above, the cash/bonds are primarily in a stable value fund, cash and FADMX.
    I have felt that being cautious in 2001 and 2009 allowed me to sleep well and rebalance. While I don’t want to see a market turndown, I would welcome values that would encourage me to shift towards 50/50. I hold some managed funds that have performed well but when considering new funds I lean towards index funds having been burned by managers such as Leuthold and Rob Arrnot.
    So far our spending has been in line with the various models. Part of me would like to sit down with one of the books by Jim Otar, Wade Pauf or Michael McClung and fine-tune a plan but a larger part of me doesn’t want to bother.

Rbrt
  • @Rbrt: FWIW: I don't know when you & wife plan on taking SS. I started my SS at 70 ,but was using deceased wife since 60 years of age, at a much lower rate. When I started my withdrawal I actually put a little more into the market as that SS works as a very nice bond return. AS for sleeping well, not a problem here.

Best to you & wife, Derf
  • CDs (3.0 to 3.55% APY rolling off in ~3.5 years), 77%
    on line savings, 5%, currently paying 0.60% APY
    Dominion DERI account, 6%, currently paying 1.75% APY
    IQDAX, Infinity Q, 5%
    FPFIX, FPA Flexible Income Fund, 2%
    ROSOX, Rondure Overseas Fund, 2%
    AKREX, AKRE Focus Fund, 1%, phasing out aggressively
    TGUNX, TCW Premier New America, 1%, phasing in during down days, will take this up to ~5% of portfolio
    AWK, American Water, 1%

Obviously very conservative, current portfolio supports lifestyle/expenses, me thinks current market is a complete farce due to gov't intervention/manipulation and that within 5 years we will all be "investing" in sports gambling thru our phones to fund our retirement

Do own two homes clear, likely going to sell home in high tax, mis managed Illinois within a year or two, maybe much sooner and move to other home in the mountains of NC

Younger wife still working, good salary, me...not sure if I'm retired or not, not working, not looking but kind of miss the corporate battles but then during a nice day hiking or on the beach don't miss it at all, I'm in my late 50s

Posting for entertainment purposes only.

Good Luck, Good Health to all, go Vote as you see fit,

Baseball_Fan

Just wondering on your rationale for selling AKREX? By my reckoning it may be the fund of the decade when taking risk into account.
  • Top holdings
    Money market - 44%
    BEPC
    MSFT
    AWK
    HASI
    DGRO
    CII
    VGHCX
  • Hi @wxman123,

AKREX, very concerned about valuation, price to sales of top holdings such as V and MA. While the fund obviously has done great, I'm not convinced that it will remain so when the Fed Reserve take the foot of the gas

Fund doesn't do much selling and I'm looking for a fund that might be more apt to buy/sell, be more nimble going forward especially if I am looking for an active fund mgmt and not "passive" indexing. Saw an interview and they asked Akre about valuations and when he would sell and basically he said never, stock would grow into its valuation, well maybe yes but maybe no.

We'll see what happens.

Good Luck / Best Regards,

Baseball_Fan

• TOP 6 Positions in IRA, Roth, Taxable as of 9/28
    BA,SCHD,PRILX,WATFX,VTMFX,PBRNX

• Hi @wxman123,

AKREX, very concerned about valuation, price to sales of top holdings such as V and MA. While the fund obviously has done great, I'm not convinced that it will remain so when the Fed Reserve take the foot of the gas

Fund doesn't do much selling and I'm looking for a fund that might be more apt to buy/sell, be more nimble going forward especially if I am looking for an active fund mgmt and not "passive" indexing. Saw an interview and they asked Akre about valuations and when he would sell and basically he said never, stock would grow into its valuation, well maybe yes but maybe no.

We'll see what happens.

Good Luck / Best Regards,

Baseball_Fan

Thanks, not sure I see the issue but appreciate the explanation. If I could have only one stock fund AKREX would be it. Never a down year. Amazing 10 year sharp ratio and standard deviation. Up on average over 17%/yr for past 10 years and didn't get there by being up 80% this year. I also see that the fund picked up 3 new positions in 2020 in its highly concentrated 20 stock portfolio. This fund should not be compared to ARKW or other high flyers, though there is a place for those over time.
  • I like MaxFunds, and it's one of my go to resources. The problem here is that AKREX is being compared to funds that are riding 80% plus gains ytd on the backs of shopify, zoom and the like. That usually ends very badly. I'll take my "average" of plus 17%/year over the last decade with no down years and an SD under 12 for AKREX as compared to say CPOAX -- yes it has a 10 year average of 22.8, but with an SD 0f 19.51, including two down years. It does wonders when a fund is up 85% ytd!
  • While I'm a fan of using standardized periods (e.g. calendar years) for comparing funds because it prevents cherry picking, when it comes to looking at one fund's performance cherry picking may be what one wants. For example, one disregards year (and often month) boundaries when looking at max drawdowns.

With that in mind, AKREX lost 9½% in the year spanning Feb 11, 2015 to Feb 11, 2016 roughly matching the S&P 500. FWIW, CPOAX lost 16¾% over the same 365 days.
    M* chart.

Also, as I've said before, an unusually hot (or cold) few months for a fund can make not only its past year performance look great (or lousy), but can also skew 3, 5, and sometimes even 10 year figures.

For example, if we back up just six months, and look at the ten year period between March 19, 2010 and March 18, 2020, we see that AKREX outperformed CPOAX. Similar result if we stick to calendar years (2010-2019). The 10 year comparison is skewed by a few months of hot performance by CPOAX.

M* 10 year chart (ending March 18, 2020; cherry picked to filter out impact of latest hot streak)
    M* 10 year chart (2010-2019)
  • edited September 2020
    MaxFunds tends to low-ball funds. Seems to me they base a lot of their subjective judgment on fund expenses. They’ve never deterred me from owning a fund. But if I’m trying to decide between 2 that appear very similar, I’ll defer to their opinion. Re AKREX, I expected that there’d be a negative rating on their “hot money” gage, but there doesn’t seem to be. But they do see bloat as a concern.

One thing I like at Max Funds is the maximum 1-year loss they envision. Worst case scenario for sure. Where it’s helpful to me is in looking for / comparing relatively ”safe” funds to meet a certain portfolio need.
  • Good morning @hank : "One thing I like at Max Funds is the maximum 1-year loss they envision. Worst case scenario for sure. Where it’s helpful to me is in looking for / comparing relatively ”safe” funds to meet a certain portfolio need. "
    Is there facts as to how close they come to ringing that bell, so to speak ? Is there a look back section ?
    Stay Safe, Derf
  • edited September 2020
    MaxFunds is too generic instead of looking at risk/reward as the best measure of funds. MFO is a fantastic source too.
    Easy example: VWENX(98 by MF) vs PRWCX(83 by MF) in the last 10 years (link)
    VWENX has a bit lower SD but PRWCX is beter for the following: performance was at 2+% annually, Worse+Best year, Sharpe+Sortino.

===============

What are my 5 or 6 largest holdings?
    As a trader I use only 2-3 funds and now I have a big % in IOFIX and smaller % in JASVX+NHMAX. I could change it any week or stay with it for weeks.
  • @FD1000; I'm guessing you bought in around 3/25/20 ?
    Derf
  • edited September 2020
    Derf said:

@FD1000; I'm guessing you bought in around 3/25/20 ?
    Derf

Nope, I sold over 90% at the end of 02/2020 and the rest days later.
    Made several good trades with QQQ+PCI in 03/2020.
    Start investing back in bond funds to over 99+% in 04/2020.
    I had a huge % in GWMEX for several months. I owned IOFIX only in the last several weeks.

I wish I was brave enough to buy IOFIX on 3/25/2020. It made over 50% since then.

• Hat tip to you FD1000, appears you have a high level of confidence and success in your investing endeavors. Like they say, it ain't boasting if you can do it.

Maybe I'm, take that back, I am quite a Chicken Little when it comes to investing in Muni's, (ref NHMAX)...that fund seems like top ~30% of holdings are in IL, CA, NY and PR. I wouldn't touch any muni bond from those states with your ten foot pole.

Or maybe the put is in...just invest and wait for the fed / Pelosi and friends to bail out those states? Maybe it's foolish not to invest there?

Re IOFIX...many got burned big time several months ago...news all over that housing is doing well....maybe we're just about to see a bigger downturn than 08/09, in my area we're starting to see sellers discounting homes...of course that might be the "wealthy" getting the heck out of IL.

I recall that Mr Junkster mentioning and you FD as well that you follow tight channels and price performance, so maybe you don't overthink it as I seem to do or maybe you know a lot more the underlying holdings/dyanmics than I do. Again, much respect to your results, being serious, not being sarcastic.

Maybe just better going to LV and putting it all on red and at least enjoy the free drinks?

Good Luck and Good Health to all,

Baseball_Fan