Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

An MFO Forum Observation

edited September 2020 in Off-Topic
This is a screenshot of my Discussions+ page this morning. Note the number of utterly irrelevant threads related to politics & trolling.

https://imgur.com/a/rEW9WAT/

You want to troll in online forums or join political oriented sites? Go join Reddit, Parler, 8kun, or some other online cesspool. While I'm just as guilty in participating in such threads from time to time here, can we get back to (relatively) sane, rational, and mostly investing-related stuff before it gets really out of hand during this circus election season, please? Thanks.

Comments

• You didn't mention if you meant one side or both sides.
  • I would not mind a "cease fire" and a return to the relatively serene and friendly investment site MFO used to be. The advice to not open political posts if I don't want to read them doesn't solve the problem as the titles of the posts peripheral to mutual fund investing are as inflammatory as their contents.
  • @rforno I noticed the same thing. I was on the "if you don't like it, keep scrolling" side, but this morning, I had to scroll down 3/4 of the cluttered page to reach an investment topic.
  • It's fine to disagree without being disagreeable. Regrettably some have not learned that skill. I may have fallen shy of the mark a time or two, but at least I try.
  • I get it. One side is always correct and the other side is trolling.

When you see "off topic" please disregard.
  • i wish there was an option to not even see 'off topic' posts, in the same manner that you can use 'discussion +' to only see threads w/ more than one post.
  • @linter
    Wish granted. Replace your link to MFO with this link:
    https://www.mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/categories/general
    In fact why don't you investigate all the category choices (on the left of a PC page) and ignore Discussions+ until the spamming abates.
  • FD1000 said:

I get it. One side is always correct and the other side is trolling.

FD1k,

Interesting observation.

You and Gary1952 came over from Morningstar to MFO and are trolling.

Who do you see trolling on Morningstar that came over from MFO?

• That's a good idea.....I stopped following the General list a long time ago for reasons that, respectfully, I won't go into here.
    Anna said:

@linter
    In fact why don't you investigate all the category choices (on the left of a PC page) and ignore Discussions+ until the spamming abates.

• edited September 2020
    Maybe there just isn't that much to say about mutual funds on a daily basis.

I don't think there's that much to say about politics on a daily basis. I read all these political threads. I seldom see anything new in them. Liberals are communists and conservatives are fascists.

And say, what am I going to cook for dinner tonight? What's in the fridge?

Off topic doesn't have to be about politics. People can start threads on any subject that suits them. I thought the travel thread was fun. I bumped the thread on the wind-powered RO-RO because it interests me. Movies. TV. Books. Gardening. Articles that have entertained you. It's one way people get to know each other a little better. So perhaps a little less inclined to look for hostages when the topic turns to politics.

Lately we have been having tuna tastings. I can't begin to tell you how much of my life has been wasted eating tuna packed in water. We started with Trader Joe's albacore packed in olive oil, their yellow fin packed in olive oil, and a can of Tonnino from Cost Plus. We decided the yellow fin is much the better budget option. But the Tonnino gives life a whole new meaning.

When my wife get back from burying her mother (who died at 95, and not from covid, so rest easy) we will be pitting the Tonnino against some of the pricier Spanish brands. When you're not going to restaurants it turns out there's a lot of money left over to contemplate the best can of tuna you can find. Spanish tapas are a food way to use a good can of tuna.

Something else that is fun to do is to hijack off-topic threads by going off topic.

We don't have to be manicheans all the time.

As Terry Pratchett said:
    In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
    He also said:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    When someone tries to do that to me I stick my thumbs in my ears, waggle my fingers, and sing nyaah, nyaah, nyaah til I get over the urge to type a brilliant riposte.

What was this thread about?
  • WABAC said:

Maybe there just isn't that much to say about mutual funds on a daily basis.

I don't think there's that much to say about politics on a daily basis. I read all these political threads. I seldom see anything new in them. Liberals are communists and conservatives are fascists.

And say, what am I going to cook for dinner tonight? What's in the fridge?

Off topic doesn't have to be about politics. People can start threads on any subject that suits them. I thought the travel thread was fun. I bumped the thread on the wind-powered RO-RO because it interests me. Movies. TV. Books. Gardening. Articles that have entertained you. It's one way people get to know each other a little better. So perhaps a little less inclined to look for hostages when the topic turns to politics.

Lately we have been having tuna tastings. I can't begin to tell you how much of my life has been wasted eating tuna packed in water. We started with Trader Joe's albacore packed in olive oil, their yellow fin packed in olive oil, and a can of Tonnino from Cost Plus. We decided the yellow fin is much the better budget option. But the Tonnino gives life a whole new meaning.

When my wife get back from burying her mother (who died at 95, and not from covid, so rest easy) we will be pitting the Tonnino against some of the pricier Spanish brands. When you're not going to restaurants it turns out there's a lot of money left over to contemplate the best can of tuna you can find. Spanish tapas are a food way to use a good can of tuna.

Something else that is fun to do is to hijack off-topic threads by going off topic.

We don't have to be manicheans all the time.

As Terry Pratchett said:

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this.
    He also said:
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    When someone tries to do that to me I stick my thumbs in my ears, waggle my fingers, and sing nyaah, nyaah, nyaah til I get over the urge to type a brilliant riposte.

What was this thread about?
    THUMBS UP!

• Got my vote too, for sure.
  • edited September 2020
    Anna said:

@linter

Excellent idea, Anna. Thank you! Washes away all the noise. The lack of moderation on this supposed FINANCIAL discussion website is disappointing.
  • Anna's link is exactly the same as choosing "Fund Discussions" in the "Categories" column at the top left of every page. Nothing new there.

That solution is EXACTLY what so many people here have been pointing out for several YEARS now: If you don't want "Off Topic" just choose "Fund Discussions". What the devil is so hard to understand here?