Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

C19 Vaccinations available Nov 1st

edited September 2020 in Off-Topic
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/09/02/cdc-tells-states-be-ready-distribute-vaccines-nov-1/

Will they stop the vaccinations before its out due to medical/legal reasons?

Hope it will help many folks...

Comments

• Pretty much all you need to know is right here:

"The timeline raised concern among public health experts about an “October surprise” — a vaccine approval driven by political considerations ahead of a presidential election, rather than science."

• They say 'be ready' ... that's not the same as saying 'it's available.' I agree this is 100% political timing.

I'm not holding my breath nor am I rushing out to get the vaccine anytime soon anyway.
  • @Johnn How about this? You try it first on November 1 and let the rest of us know how it works.
  • edited September 2020
    Hi Sir Mr Braham...I tried to sign up for the vaccine trials but they have too many people already. I always tried to get my pneumonia and influenza vaccines updated.
    have not had a flu nor cold/ > 15 yrs. I am blessed; knock on woods. Who knows, I maybe be dead next wk from c19

I will definitely get it if its available
  • Lots of vaccines are already "out". Russia is administering a vaccine, and it should be widely available in time for an October surprise. "Russia, if you're listening":-) And doctors in the US are privately administering various vaccines.

The question is what will happen when some rushed vaccines wind up being ineffective in the field, or worse, cause even a few people harm. Imagine what anti-vaxxers would do with even a single death caused by a vaccine that hadn't completed the standard multi-phase regimen of testing. There goes herd immunity.

I'm not clear on the "they" you speak of stopping vaccinations. The deep state? The FDA (which cowed to pressure to issue an EUA it then withdrew)? The researchers who don't yet have data on effective, safe dosages? Dr. Fauci?

The CDC may have told the states to be ready, but the cited article doesn't give any sense of the logistics required. Good luck in rushing this.
    Drugmakers with vaccines in final-stage clinical trials expect their products to require strict temperature controls. Moderna Inc. said it expects its vaccine to require minus 20 degrees Celsius storage. Pfizer Inc. said the vaccine it is developing with German partner BioNTech SE will probably have to be stored at minus 70 degrees Celsius, plus or minus 10 degrees.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/from-freezer-farms-to-jets-logistics-operators-prepare-for-a-covid-19-vaccine-11598639012

Personally, I think I'll wait until the booster-in-chief gets vaccinated with an off the shelf dose and I can review phase 3 results in a first tier journal.

• @MSF I'll ask Old_Skeet to contact Zerohedge and Putin to see if they have any extra of their super-good true most special yummy vaccine for Americans like Johnn to try.
  • Unless it's endorsed by the MyPillow CEO and the ghost of Hermain Cain, it's not worth taking!

@MSF I'll ask Old_Skeet to contact Zerohedge and Putin to see if they have any extra of their super-good true most special yummy vaccine for Americans like Johnn to try.

• good example of fake news

follow the herman Cain link to the tweet and then there is a link to a site called the Western Journal that says

"A new report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that in 94 percent of the cases of those who died from COVID-19, another disease was also at work on the victim"

Look at the table. 170,000 people died of Covid, which causes respiratory failure ( 5700 had this) respiratory ( 3500) and cardiac arrest ( 21000) pneumonia (71000) sepsis (15000) ARDS ( 27000)

SO just using these "other diseases" , which are due to Covid, 124000 (73%) were Covid related.

I am so tired of people who do not know anything about medicine, vital statistics, ICD10 coding or how this data is complied twisting it to claim in a headline that "covid is just like mild flu"
  • sma3 said:

good example of fake news

follow the herman Cain link to the tweet and then there is a link to a site called the Western Journal that says

"A new report from the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that in 94 percent of the cases of those who died from COVID-19, another disease was also at work on the victim"

Look at the table.

Western Journal sure looks like a very solid & reputable source of objective fact-based news. LOL
    (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Western_Journal)
  • Howdy folks,

The vaccine is being rushed and without independent verification as to it's efficacy and safety, I wont' even consider getting it. Are you crazy? WHO is thinking we'll have something by next summer. Trump will have one before the election. Think of it as rat poison - of perhaps bleach.

They say that only 40% of the population is planning to get it at this point. I think that's high side. First you have the anti-vaxers who won't get any vaccines. Then you have the other side like myself who believe in vaccines and science and facts and truth. Hell, wifey and I just got our Flu shots this week. I'm looking to get my virus vaccination NEXT fall for next winter. By then we'll see what they come up with.

What is hopeful is that 'all the kings horse and all the kings men' are working their tails off on the vaccine. The problem we have in the states, is that all Trump cares about is how he can make money on it.

and so it goes,

peace and wear the damn mask,

rono
  • In preparing for vaccine distribution, one relatively unrecognized potential roadblock to availability are requirements that require transport and storage at super-cold temps of down to -112 degrees fahrenheit. Most pharmacies and some hospitals do not have the specialized freezers required, and at a cost of $20+K each (if available with sudden high demand) may not be eager to invest in this appliance until certain parameters of public acceptance are recognized. My understanding is that as development continues addressing and amending this potential complication is part of the process.

As a pharmacist who regularly administers immunizations, my concerns about the COVID-19 vaccine have transitioned from safety and efficacy to the logistics of ultimate transport/storage, prioritization, and delivery settings to the receptive population.

• @AZRph, That is an excellent point. My understanding is that those vaccines derived from mRNA require low temper
  • One more try. My understanding is that those vaccines derived from mRNA require low temperature storage - much lower than typical vaccines. It will require additional consideration on the logistic side in order to meet this requirement. Dry ice (-109 F) has been proposed for the near term solution for delivery. Storage in extreme low temperature freezers are not readily available in most pharmacies and hospitals.
    The German logistics firm said that distribution of an eventual vaccine across large parts of Africa, South America and Asia would require extraordinary measures to keep deliveries of so-called mRNA vaccines refrigerated.

Companies developing vaccines requiring exceptional cold storage, such as Moderna Inc and CureVac, are working to make their injections last longer in transit.

The novel class of mRNA vaccines is among the furthest advanced in a field of 33 immunisation shots currently being tested on humans.

But upgrading cold storage infrastructure in regions outside the 25 most advanced countries, home to one-third of the global population, will pose an immense challenge, said Deutsche Post in its study, conducted with consultancy firm McKinsey.

Moderna said on Tuesday it expects its mRNA vaccine to be stored at minus 20 Celsius and after thawing to be kept at between plus 2 degrees and minus 8 degrees for about a week.
    https://reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-logistics/delivering-super-cooled-covid-19-vaccine-a-daunting-challenge-for-some-countries-idUSKBN25S417

However, there are other vaccines in development which are derived from adenovirus and low temperatures may be as a critical issue.

My bigger concern is there is about 30% of people who are not willing to take the COVID
    vaccine. How does it impact the immunity of the entire population?