Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump: Americans Who Died in War Are ‘Losers’ and ‘Suckers’

Comments

• edited September 2020
    “actively refuted by several who were there.”

@dryflower - Please substantiate that claim. Thanks.
  • In an odd coincidence, the Trump administration will be shutting down the US military newsletter Stars and Stripes effective the end of this month.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/04/pentagon-stars-and-stripes-newspaper-trump
  • @hank

Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Twitter:

The Atlantic story on @realDonaldTrump is total BS. I was actually there and one of the people part of the discussion - this never happened. I have sat in the room when our President called family members after their sons were killed in action and it was heart-wrenching...

Dan Scavino on Twitter:

I was with POTUS in France, with Sarah, and have been at his side throughout it all. Complete lies by “anonymous sources” that were “dropped” just as he begins to campaign (and surge). A disgraceful attempt to smear POTUS, 60 days before the Presidential Election! Disgusting!!

Jordan Karem on Twitter:

This is not even close to being factually accurate. Plain and simple, it just never happened

Again, this is 100% false. I was next to
    @POTUS
    the whole day! The President was greatly disappointed when told we couldn’t fly there. He was incredibly eager to honor our Fallen Heroes.

• Sarah H Sanders who shamelessly lied every day? You believe *her*?
  • msf said:

wxman123 said:

Is anyone bothered by the fact that the article is based largely (entirely?) on unnamed sources? I know what Trump said about McCain (shameful), but I think it was pretty clear those guys hated each other, and haters say things simply to cause pain.

Simply to cause pain? To whom? McCain is dead, and still the shameful statements come pouring out. Does that hate explain, let alone justify, his inflicting pain not on a man who can no longer feel pain, but upon the man's family and descendants? A god complex? As it is written:
    he will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, to the third and the fourth generation.’
    Mark said:

If the article was based on one anonymous source I might be a tad skeptical. However it came from several unnamed sources and he also had this history of calling our military leaders stupid and incapable in addition to disparaging Senator McCain. So NO, I am not bothered by the fact named sources were used. Try again.

Aside from his general history of lying, Trump has a history of lying specifically about not having made comments that are on the record. So perhaps his blanket denial of the story confers some credibility. Especially since we know that he did make the McCain comments in the article.

2016: Asked to respond, Mr. Trump said, “Well, it just shows you how they lie. Number one, I never called John McCain a loser, as you know.

Today: Trump said Thursday that the story is “totally false.”

There is a problem with "unnamed sources" that's not limited to whether an event happened. There are also issues of context and detail. And, this is not a young woman afraid to come forward. If these "unnamed sources" cannot support the Commander in Chief they should resign, in which case there should no problem being an identified source. In any event, I am very sure that if a similar article attacked Biden based on "unnamed sources" the reaction around here would be quite different.
  • Still no named sources who were present and heard the statements made.
  • edited September 2020
    So funny that you think "unnamed sources" are a problem when the conspiracy theorist king president's favorite line is "people are saying...." without verifying who is saying what about the latest Democrat conspiracy: https://theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/how-to-talk-trump/550934/
  • So funny that you think "unnamed sources" are a problem when the conspiracy theorist king president's favorite line is "people are saying...." without verifying who is saying what about the latest Democrat conspiracy.

I never defended that behavior. I've made it pretty clear that I'm not a big fan of Trump the person. I just don't conflate that issue with his policies and the direction the new dems want to take this country. We have a binary choice, regrettably.
  • Biden is not a "new Dem," but an old one who's been around forever that doesn't rock the boat much at all.
  • edited September 2020
    Here is what is stated to be an excerpt from John Bolton's book (I don't have the book). That book is apparently silent regarding Jeffrey Goldberg's reporting about what Trump said. Fox News' has asked The Atlanta to comment about Bolton's account.
    "On Saturday, I went to the US Ambassador's residence, where Trump was staying, to brief him before his bilateral with [French President Emmanuel] Macron. The weather was bad, and [then White House Chief of Staff John] Kelly and I spoke about whether to travel as planned to the Château-Theirry Belleau Wood monuments and nearby American Cemeteries where many US World War I dead were buried," Bolton wrote. "Marine One's crew was saying that bad visibility could make it imprudent to chopper to the cemetery. The ceiling was not too low for Marines to fly in combat, but flying POTUS was obviously something very different."

Bolton later wrote, "It was a straightforward decision to cancel the visit but very hard for a Marine like Kelly to recommend, having originally been the one to suggest Belleau Wood (an iconic battle in Marine Corps history). Trump agreed, and it was decided that others would drive to the cemetery instead."
    https://foxnews.com/politics/john-bolton-memoir-atlantic-trump-france

• I've seen reports that late today several MSM news orgs, including Fox, have confirmed the Atlantic's story. I shudder to think how much posturing & public masturtweeting will be done by a sundowning retiree squatting in DC public housing over the long weekend.
  • davfor said:

Here is what is stated to be an excerpt from John Bolton's book (I don't have the book). That book is apparently silent regarding Jeffrey Goldberg's reporting about what Trump said.

The book is silent because Bolton wrote about what he heard, not what he didn't hear. In other words, his comment, on the record, is that he can neither confirm nor deny that Trump made the statements reported:

"I didn't hear him say those things [reported in the Atlantic]. Now did he say those things to other people later in the day? It's certainly possible, but the things he's quoted in that article saying about John McCain I do talk about in the book and he did say very similar things that I heard him say. But in terms of this question of the visit to the Belleau Wood Cemetery, no, no I did not hear those things. If I had, they probably would have been in the book. ... There's no surprise that Trump went out of his way last night here in the US to deny that he had said it. But, you know, his credibility is pretty thin in my view."

• @Rono. Thank you for your clarity and speaking the truth. It’s real and it’s that bad and worse. If anyone thinks anything is more important to this country than regime change then they can only be part of the problem.
  • Biden is not a "new Dem," but an old one who's been around forever that doesn't rock the boat much at all.

That moderate Joe Biden no longer exists, IMO.
  • >> public masturtweeting ... by a sundowning retiree squatting in DC public housing

we have a winner!
  • So here's something completely different...President Eisenhower and Walter Cronkite on the 20th Anniversary of D-Day on June 6, 1964. It seemed appropriate to include this in the thread.

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/eisenhower-recalls-sacrifices-of-d-day-20-years-later/#x
  • When you people start taking your information from sources other than President Trump's twitter feed, you are really just asking for confusion.
  • Howdy,

Seems all the news media including FOX are endorsing the story. In addition Mayor Pete had the best rebuttal about the 4* Generals not speaking out. 'their silence is everything and means it's all true'. [note to board, this was the quickest reversal I've ever seen].

For wxman23 giving Trump credit for a pre-covid economy and stock market. Really?@?

Grasshopper, there a many ways to stimulate economic growth other than supply trickle down bullshit. The largest tax cut for corporations and the wealthy [his word] coupled with a removal, reduction or lack of enforcement of all regulations . . . and the economy did well. Well, no shit.

Demand side economics would include things that stimulate aggregate demand like raising the minimum wage and indexing it to inflation, spending serious money on rebuilding the infrastructure (it's called investing) and creating jobs, so we don't have to feed people, writing off all the interest and penalties on the Federal student debt and capping the interest ceiling for all student loans at 3%.

and so it goes,

peace and wear the damn mask,

Oh and BTFW, I don't lie, exaggerate or overstate and never have.

• And there you have it: the defining snapshot of this man's perverted value system. And folks like OS want a person like that as the leader of this country.

Not much else to say here.
  • People, conscription is the key point underlying part of this general treasonous smear.

Even if you think Vietnam was a 'stupid war' --- which we now know it was, based on frank, bald lies --- and also that 'anyone who went was a sucker' --- a view shared by many vets --- for huge huge numbers there was no fucking choice!

Pissing on those warfighters, dead or alive, is, well, exactly what it looks like.
  • dryflower said:

One of the more striking manifestations of Trump Derangement Syndrome is that people who have always been adamantly opposed to the Vietnam War and adamantly opposed to the military draft, find it easy to castigate Trump for being a "draft dodger".

False dichotomy.

Three of my brothers served during the "Vietnam era." Only one was drafted. I was in the last class to get a draft number.

We were all against the Vietnam war.

Lots of people dodged the draft if they could. Neighbors thought my parents were crazy for not trying to manipulate the system. My parents were against the war. Many of the neighbors were in favor of someone else than their children fighting the war.

Clinton dodged the draft. And everybody talked about it. Trump dodged the draft. And everybody's talking about it. Clinton never claimed to be smarter than the officer corps because he did high school at a "military academy"

In my day kids went to a "military academy" if they could afford to dodge juvenile hall.
  • rono said:

Howdy folks,

Everyone is correct and I love you folks.

Trump cannot understand how anyone could ever do anything that didn't reward them directly in a way that's easily measured - like money. He's not made up that way. We all know this. That's why the Marines that died at Belleau Wood were suckers because they enlisted to fight for their country (sic. and not themselves).

Now please understand that this is not going to change the mind, nor vote, of a single foamer. Hell, their eyes are glassy and they're chanting not unlike the folks who marched off to Jonestown. What is important that the independents and traditional Republicans (rono resembles this remark) have to be convinced that Trump is bad, Biden is safe and THEY MUST VOTE. And we have to do our best to protect the franchise of anyone of color or living in a city or a state with a Democratic Governor.

The is the clarion call for all Americans to go take the musket down from over the mantel, saddle up and ride off to war. And yes, folks, simply voting this November WILL cost some of us our life. Many of us will get sick. But people, Trump is our Pearl Harbor and all real Americans, if they love their country and want to defend it, now is their chance. And it's their last chance.

If Trump is reelected, the United States of America is dead.

and so it goes,

rono

I can only add: well said!
  • rono said:

Howdy,

Seems all the news media including FOX are endorsing the story. In addition Mayor Pete had the best rebuttal about the 4* Generals not speaking out. 'their silence is everything and means it's all true'. [note to board, this was the quickest reversal I've ever seen].

For wxman23 giving Trump credit for a pre-covid economy and stock market. Really?@?

Grasshopper, there a many ways to stimulate economic growth other than supply trickle down bullshit. The largest tax cut for corporations and the wealthy [his word] coupled with a removal, reduction or lack of enforcement of all regulations . . . and the economy did well. Well, no shit.

Demand side economics would include things that stimulate aggregate demand like raising the minimum wage and indexing it to inflation, spending serious money on rebuilding the infrastructure (it's called investing) and creating jobs, so we don't have to feed people, writing off all the interest and penalties on the Federal student debt and capping the interest ceiling for all student loans at 3%.

and so it goes,

Oh and BTFW, I don't lie, exaggerate or overstate and never have.

Yes, of course I am. Are you saying the economy and stock market were not good pre-covid...or that Trump doesn't deserve the credit? The first would be simply a groundless opinion, the second unfair as anyone can say that the economy would have been just as good or better with someone else. Look, you can hate Trump for many deserved reasons but the economy is not one of them.
  • Personal questions for everyone: Have you ever been misquoted? Have you ever said anything that was misheard or misunderstood? Have you ever heard a version of something you personally experienced that bore no resemblance to what you perceived?

We believe or disbelieve these stories about Trump based on our holistic assessment of him. I am curious to know what is at the core of the radically opposite conclusions we draw. I have never been able to discover that.

I do agree, however, that everyone is correct.

And I love you, too.
  • Re the stock market: How can Trump be credited for the inflation of a handful of stock prices? No president has magical powers. When the bubble bursts, as it must, whoever is president at that time will also not be responsible for this. Trump will not have done it. Biden will not have done it.
  • Ben said:

Re the stock market: How can Trump be credited for the inflation of a handful of stock prices? No president has magical powers. When the bubble bursts, as it must, whoever is president at that time will also not be responsible for this. Trump will not have done it. Biden will not have done it.

It was way more than "inflation of a handful of stock prices." It was about historically low unemployment, including Black unemployment, among other things. The rest of your comment is simply a prove the negative argument at its finest. I suppose you would say that the economy is not a fair discussion point in any election since "No president has magical powers." In the present case it wasn't about any "magic" it was tax cuts and regulatory reform, in part; things Biden wants to change.
  • My comment was directed at the stock market part of your comment about "economy and stock market". Although general trends are perceivable no human has been able to predict how to the stock market will behave at a specific time. This includes presidents. No human has been able to legally affect how the stock market will behave during a particular time period.
    I said nothing about the economy in general. But I expect regulatory "reform" to end badly. But I'm out of my depth discussing that.
  • @dryflower - so are you saying that 45 has been misquoted, misheard or misunderstood over 18,000 times since he became the president?
  • Oh, brother.