Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

nibbling away

2»

Comments

• Derf said:

Simon would you care to share what funds you have that are up 65% ytd ?!

Check out this link for top 20 fund performance.

https://www.financial-planning.com/slideshow/best-mutual-funds-and-etfs-ranked-by-ytd-returns
    Have a nice day, Derf

That is a peculiar list.

M* quickrank shows a number of funds greater than 65%. A lot of the funds look like multiple share classes of the same product.
  • Hi @Derf, Boy there sure is a big difference in what Yahoo reflects and what M* reflects. I rechecked SPECX in M* Portfolio Manager ... YTD +33.16%. And, according to the Alger fund site +33.16% as of 8/28. Seems Yahoo ... let you down!
  • @Old_Skeet: I was looking at (Trailing Returns (%) Vs. Benchmarks
    Return). Not enough coffee ! I double checked with Chuck & they agreed with 33.16 %
    Derf
  • @WABAC: Looks to me that a writer needed to make a few $$ & picked up on an add deal also !!!
    Derf
  • edited August 2020
    @Derf, What would your fund selection be to play (the rebound) after a stock market swoon?

I'm thinking of using IALAX for my next spiff. And, AMCPX for an equity ballast position.

To do this, I'm planning to open a new possition in ITAAX and pay the commission of 2.5%. When the stock market pulls back then on the rebound I can open my spiff position by doing a nav transfer into IALAX commission free. For equity ballast, I'll use AMCPX by doing a nav transfer from some of the currently owned MIAQX.

Just wondering what your "preplanned" pick(s) might be?
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hi @Derf my top year-to-date performers, with better than a 20% return, through 8/28 are SPECX +33.16% ... AOFAX +29.82 ... FISCX +27.24 ... AGTHX +22.86 ... and, CTFAX +22.25%. Overall (year to date) I'm up about 4.3% with a portfolio yield of about 3.3%. So, I am now currently north of my yield.

Much better than all of my others: PRIDX but it's just 6.7% of my total. And it's closed, these days. +19.26% YTD. So that one could be added to the list.
  • The bull "market" is extremely narrow. The equal weight S&P 500 index ETF (RSP) is still down on the year. What's leading the market higher is tech, especially large cap tech. There are some funds/ETFS like ARKK up 84% YTD. It's march higher has been relentless. This reminds me so much of the tech bubble that it hurts. Yes, it is different this time, and it always is until it isn't.
  • Investing for the niece and nephew in BIAWX. HEAVY in tech, Nasdaq. But they're only 19 and 14. Long way to go, through ups and downs. It's been several months since I added to it. Riding high, just now.
  • wxman123 said:

The bull "market" is extremely narrow. The equal weight S&P 500 index ETF (RSP) is still down on the year. What's leading the market higher is tech, especially large cap tech. ...

I have been tracking, and find appealing, EQAL. You?

But then, you know, I look at VONE (forget VONG).
  • I'm cashing out almost anything with a gain YTD at the moment (not much unfortunately) overall portfolio down .50 YTD (and actually thankful for that). I can't figure this market out. I get the "new" economy and Covid stocks but I can't bring myself to buy anything up 100% YTD let alone 1000% over the past year (TESLA). The things I like to buy everyone hates. After due consideration I'm going to hold my nose and buy DON in the coming weeks/months. The midcaps get overlooked in these types of environments. DON is down 19% ytd. I think it's a good bet to outperform next year.
  • Hi wxman123, My late father taught me not to chase the market. In a strong upward trending bull market that if I was not already positioned don't chase it. Buy what others hate as long as you are getting paid to hold it. I have already done that so now I wait. My best to you. Skeet
  • @wxman123: I'm on board with what you 're doing.

Still afloat, Derf
  • Thanks guys. Quick clarification, my "sell all" mandate has been on stock mutual funds and CEFS and closing out my position in VTI. Still mostly holding my asset allocation and bond funds and slowly positioning to more conservative on the bond side. Love PTIAX and especially GIBLX right now. In the real long term I'll be a buyer of ARKK. Very smart folks. I remember the manager selling the virtues of TESLA even when others were talking bankruptcy. They held a 10% position and never wavered. Need to respect that.
  • Wednesday, 02 Sept. what in the world drove the numbers up with such a surge today?
  • Agree with @davidmoran. The recovery is uneven so far. Airline industry is in trouble with continuing weak demand in August. United and American airlines asked for more $T$ bailout to slow down the layoff as the previous $ ran out.
    United Airlines said Wednesday it expects to cut 16,370 jobs on Oct. 1, far fewer than the 36,000 it warned of two months ago, as suspense builds over whether Congress will extend relief for the struggling airline industry.
    https://axios.com/united-airlines-layoffs-voluntary-leave-e4ae7003-9644-44cc-adca-4fea75993a65.html

American airline also posted similar level of layoff. These are the largest US airlines. It is likely there will be consolidation of that industry to perhaps 2-3 airlines. All the smaller ones will be bankrupt or merged with a stronger company by year-end.
  • Oh, dear. If you'e right, then competition will be severely muted.
  • This pandemic has impacted our daily lives on many fronts. Certainly lesisure and business travel are cur back considerably. My travel stopped in February and now all business meetings are done via videoconferencing. I am old school that human touch and feel is important to do business. At present no one is willing to fly for business when there is a reasonable alternative. For leisure travel we drive to locations that we consider is "safe" and largely outdoor.

I hear that the airlines still pack the planes. The only social distancing they practice is before boarding. Face covering is mandatory and yet some still fight this public health rule. It will be sometime before the airlines return to normal when the COVID-19 is contained with the vaccines.

Nevertheless, airlines are quite profitable and they will survive. In the old days we get real silverwear, hot meals, and a warm towel to clean our hands. Today, we get peanuts, quite literally.
  • Sven said:

I hear that the airlines still pack the planes. The only social distancing they practice is before boarding. Face covering is mandatory and yet some still fight this public health rule. It will be sometime before the airlines return to normal when the COVID-19 is contained with the vaccines.

I'm not in a rush to get on a commercial flight anytime soon.

• Sven said:

Not my wife's experience on Delta this past Friday. Middle seats were vacant. Masking was strictly enforced. I don't know how they handle it on narrower air frames.

OTOH. Normal for the airlines never leads to a better experience since Carter deregulated them.
  • Your wife got lucky. My coworkers traveled on United and they were not please with the full flight. Some low cost operators even reduce the number of flight so to reduce the fixed cost. We love to travel overseas but many countries do not want Americans due to the high COVID cases.

• I'm not in a rush to get on a commercial flight anytime soon.

Ditto. Plain and simple. And Hawaiian Air just killed change-fees, along with a couple of other big Legacy Carriers. Funny, though, how the FARE rose so much on the new date you choose to fly..... ALWAYS.

• ....OTOH. Normal for the airlines never leads to a better experience since Carter deregulated them.
    The death of the C.A.B. But deregulation was undertaken in earnest with Ronny Ray-gun.

• Sven said:

Your wife got lucky. My coworkers traveled on United and they were not please with the full flight. Some low cost operators even reduce the number of flight so to reduce the fixed cost. We love to travel overseas but many countries do not want Americans due to the high COVID cases.

Blocking the middle seat is Delta policy until January 6, 2021 per their website.