Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Favorite International Stock Funds

2»

Comments

• Just checked out the holdings of VWIGX, Vanguard INTERNATIONAL Growth Fund. How are Tesla and Amazon considered international equities?

Because they have massive markets outside the US, and are smart enough to invest in them in the portfolio. It's not a "foreign" fund. International means including US funds.

• edited August 2020
    I find it interesting from a psychological perspective that the one fund I recommended that is hot right now VWIGX is the one many MFOrs are interested in while the two value ones I mentioned that are also good funds in their categories--QUSOX and HFQTX-- but their categories are not in favor right now are overlooked. Investors tend to chase performance to their detriment, yet it is more complicated that that. Short-term 12-month or one-moth momentum in funds tends to persist while long-term outperformance doesn't and actually the opposite is the case. You want to buy the best funds --or perhaps the lowest cost funds--in the categories that underperformed in the last three to five years. Click here: https://blogs.cfainstitute.org/investor/2018/09/03/chasing-mutual-fund-performance-follow-the-momentum/ Yet no matter what I do or say, for as long as I've been on this board most posters have always been talking about what's hot right now and generally overlooked the contrarian play. All of that said, I think VWIGX is good for its category, and fees always matter in every category--a lot--and VWIGX has very low fees for an active fund.

• MikeW: FYI
    My favorite fund is MIOPX which is managed by Kristen Heugh. This is a strong international fund with broad exposure to Europe as well as emerging markets. Ben suggested their global fund which is also excellent. If you run the numbers you'll see that it consistently outperforms all other funds internationally over 3, 5, and 7 years. In a down market it will get hit, but it actually held up well in March this year
    Morgan Stanley Institutional International Opportunity / MIOIX was mentioned in today's Barron's Daily Roundup (aftermarket), viz., "These 7 Funds Beat the Market Without Owning the FAAMG Stocks":

The $3 billion Morgan Stanley Institutional International Opportunity fund (MIOIX) holds stocks from around the globe, including Chinese education-tech firm TAL Education Group ADR, food-delivery company Meituan Dianping (3690.Hong Kong), and HDFC Bank (HDB) from India.

Total return YTD through 8/26 = 33.0%
  • edited August 2020

I find it interesting from a psychological perspective that the one fund I recommended that is hot right now VWIGX is the one many MFOrs are interested in while the two value ones I mentioned that are also good funds in their categories--QUSOX and HFQTX-- but their categories are not in favor right now are overlooked. Investors tend to chase performance to their detriment, yet it is more complicated that that. Short-term 12-month or one-moth momentum in funds tends to persist while long-term outperformance doesn't and actually the opposite is the case.

Many investors are overly influenced by good recent performance and believe this will lead to superior future performance. This tendency is often referred to as recency bias. When reversion to the mean occurs, these investors are often disappointed. I previously investigated QUSOX (actually QUSIX) and agree that it is a very good fund. I own VWILX and its recent outstanding performance makes me a little nervous. However, I realize this fund is volatile and plan to hold it long-term barring any material changes to management or strategy.
  • Is there an etf equivalent to VWILX ? I couldn't find one, so I'm starting a small spec play in JIG . Limited volume, so I don't know if Fidelity or Schwab will process buys of this etf.
  • edited August 2020
    carew388 said:

Is there an etf equivalent to VWILX ? I couldn't find one, so I'm starting a small spec play in JIG . Limited volume, so I don't know if Fidelity or Schwab will process buys of this etf.

Vanguard has an ETF share class for many of its indexed mutual funds.
    They are the only firm with this unique structure due to corresponding patents.
    There isn't an ETF equivalent for VWILX since Vanguard does not currently offer ETF versions of actively managed funds.

• @carew388: I was wondering how you found JIG. From what I can tell it's the ETF born out of JSEAX (and its other share classes). The managers, Murray and Duffy appear to be based in London. JSEAX has four stars and a gold rating from M* but I can't see why. Is JP Morgan promoting JIG as an active fund?
  • I found JIG while looking for a foreign growth etf similar to VWILX. JSEAX is classified as foreign large blend per the Morningstar Style Box, while JIG shows as large cap growth. I'm sure there are better choices for large cap growth but I must have missed them. I'd prefer an etf version of MIOPX if it was available.
  • Another steady eddy you should take a look at is Hennessy Japan. More conservative but very consistent performer year in and out
  • @BENWP ... Just messaged you