Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

TDAmeritrade woes and recommendations for alternatives

So TDAmeritrade's ThinkorSwim platform (and maybe others) have been mostly offline since 925ET this morning following last night's update. TDA has acknowledged the problem but it's becoming a s---tshow over there with their messaging (er, lack of it) ... the easiest thing would be to roll back the update, but they've chose not to, and thus many folks are unable to trade.

TDA's been fairly solid for me since 2007 .... but I'm flashing back to the dark days of 2012-14 when every update would cause havoc and break things. Schwab's gotta be livid since they just announced TD's active platform ThinkorSwim would be their platform going forward, too.

Anyway, I'm curious folks' thoughts on E-Trade or Fido as a possible all-in-one non-wirehouse brokerage replacment for TDA/Schwab for stocks/options/futures/OEFs.

Comments

• I use Fidelity for several decades and they are very reliable and fast on connectivity ! It should able to meet all your needs.
  • Sven said:

I use Fidelity for several decades and they are very reliable and fast on connectivity ! It should able to meet all your needs.

Almost! They don't seem to offer futures. :/

• The below is a well done overview and I presume unbiased. You're correct about futures trading at Fido; according to the list in the link.

Disclaimer: Fido biased customer since 1978.

TD vs Fidelity
  • edited August 2020
    I just took a chance and called Charles Schwab. Got thru in 10 secs and had a great chat w/account rep who answered my questions. I think I may make a fresh start & open new account there to avoid the integration nonsense with .@TDAmeritrade as an acquired customer .. I've been acquired enough times over the years (OPXS, OpenEcry, ThinkorSwim, now TDA) to know it's seldom a smooth experience for those being acquired.

Schwab's customers seem to be longer-term investors and would NOT tolerate this kind of nonsense, I think.