Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What is needed to change the learning curve for COVID? Appears the "head slap" is the only hope.

Been there, done that. Aside from what you learned from the adults during your youngest years; at some point going forward you establish your own "learning curve". Tis not always so much of the "been there, done that", but what in the hell did you learn from the experience. This is paramount, if you desire to have a meaningful, long term positive total return on your investments, and the reason this forum exists. The widely know statement of " keep doing the same thing and expect different results" applies to most areas of living.

The above brings me to the harshest of judgments and desire. Those who still retain the idea that, "it is just like the flu" mindset need to have the "been there, done that" experience. The big "head slap" is apparently the only solution to help with their learning curve. If this learning does not occur, and the cases continue to increase; the point will arrive when I can not obtain a test (no supplies), or turn around results won't be available for more than two weeks, or that the ICU is full and much of the stuff is infected and not at work, or that I will be on a check off list of who is or is not treated because of age and probable survival rate.

The denial of Covid's seriousness remains at the top of the U.S. government and the other "followers". I find no reason to discover a change in this status. The economic impact and related has been fully discussed here and I won't add to those. However, the ultimate economic impact is death of the citizens, the complications for affected families and all of the ongoing physical impairments that may linger for years.

Below is one of my early years, "been there, done that" experiences. I still remember the first vaccine injection at the school gymnasium and the two follow-ups being sugar cubes with the "pink" vaccine dot.

The below link is part 1 of 4 (none longer than 15 minutes). The right edge of this page will provide clickable links for the remainder of the parts, BUT the next part does AUTO start, after the previous part is complete.
Polio, 1950's.....

There will be those here who are not pleased with what I have written. Since 2011, I have seldom posted outside of the "investment related box". But, this is indeed investment related, too.

Lastly, I can barely conceive the "verbal spew" that continues from D.C. when the health and welfare of this country should be the overwhelming concern. Thus, my desire for those in need of a "head slap"; to have the experience.
Yes, the learning curve has arrived from the past 10 days to a few I know. They've become believers.

Take care of you and yours,
Catch

Comments

• The non-believers can choose whatever medicine/advice they want. The medical community are continuing to discover this virus is far more damaging to human body than that of the flu virus. Many internal organs affected are likely permanently changed after recovery. Have friends who are healthy and now walk with walkers along with a tank of oxygen. Another friend passed away shortly after infected in bars and he was healthy and only in 30's.
    https://reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brains/scientists-warn-of-potential-wave-of-covid-linked-brain-damage-idUSKBN24837S
  • People are just weird. I was talking to a libertarian type yesterday in another state. Their governor just made masks mandatory. Prior to this my friend was outraged that not everyone was voluntarily choosing to wear a mask. The second the government stepped in she was outraged that the government thought they could take away your freedom of choice. I told her that, considering her outrage when someone did not wear a mask, I would have thought she would have welcomed the mandate.

Then I have a relative that is sharing every "hoax" claim and "fake news" claim out there. Covid is a hoax, masks are a hoax and increase transmission, etc. You name crazy and he shares crazy, IMO of course.
  • The person I referred to above was a "non-believer". This 30 year old healthy athlete went to bars several times without face covering. Shortly he came down with COVID symptoms and worsen within days where he was admitted to ICU. While he was on ventilator for for several weeks he passed away. His family cannot even attend his funeral. Another friend and his sponse caught COVID while they were in Europe in January. Both recovered without health issues before they returned to States. Another month of self-isolation proved to be okay before they dare to go outside. Now they are monitoring if they sustained permanent health issues.

How we handle this COVID pandemic is about personal choices. The government can only do so much and this administration has failed in every metrics to deal with pandemic. Please watch the movie Contagion if you have a chance. There is a surprisingly parallelism to what is happening now.
  • edited July 2020
    Perhaps some of this is nature's way of weeding out those unable to deal with reality. The herd may be better off without them.
  • edited July 2020
    Even now, after all of this, there are still many Republican government officials at the state level who are still in total denial- even to the point of refusing permission for local mayors to require masks. No masks! Freedom! If people die it's God's will.

Can anyone actually argue that these mental dinosaurs are of any benefit to the herd?

• This mid-day, short Sunday article is as good of an overview of the current status of cranial-rectal inversion as may be presented at this time.
    Pretty much the "it's my right to be a dumb ass" argument! Now if only they could have the ventilator experience, to help the learning curve.
    No matter what this house maintains to be safe, these folks are intent on our having the full Covid event. No less than attempted murder, isn't it?
    Be well,
    Catch
  • edited July 2020
    From that Reuters article:

• Florida’s daily increases in cases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. It has also broken New York state’s record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

• Anti-mask activists organized a protest on Saturday at a grilled cheese restaurant and bar in Windermere, Florida, which is in Orange County about 12 miles (19 km) from Walt Disney World.

• During Saturday’s protest, no customers wore face coverings inside the restaurant.

• “This is a virus that is very well contained,” said one of the demonstrators, anti-mask activist Tara Hill. “Everyone is responsible for their own health care decisions ... We want our choices respected as well.”

LET THEM THIN THEIR OWN HERD. THEY WON'T BE MISSED.

• You can't fix stupid....
  • beebee
    edited July 2020
    Interesting trajectory map...select play to see how it has changed over time state by state:
    https://projects.propublica.org/reopening-america/

CDC reports on Mortality Rate as of July 4, 2020 = Seasonal Baseline:
    https://cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/07102020/images/nchs-mortality-report.gif
  • Fed banker Robert Kaplan spoke up today,
    Widespread use of face masks is the single biggest factor that could help restore the U.S. economy, bringing more people back to work and allowing schools to open, Dallas Federal Reserve Bank President Robert Kaplan said on Monday.

“If we all wore masks, I think that’s probably the most important thing we can do right now to make sure that rebound is faster, not slowing,” Kaplan told the National Press Club in a virtual event, noting the economy has slowed since the virus has resurged across the United States in recent weeks.

“Many small businesses that might have made it without the resurgence in the virus will not make it,” he said.
    https://reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-kaplan/want-more-jobs-wear-a-mask-says-feds-kaplan-idUSKCN24E2HG?il=0
  • Maybe a plain english Handy Chart would help?
  • edited July 2020
    Well, we're certainly making America "great" again. Thank you so much Mr. Trump, and all who empowered you.

A Michigan man was shot dead by a sheriff’s deputy on Tuesday, after stabbing another man who challenged him about not wearing a mask at a convenience store, police said.

It was far from the first reported violent incident over the wearing – or not – of masks as a basic measure to guard against the spread of the coronavirus.

For some, perhaps encouraged by Donald Trump’s long reluctance to wear a mask in public, the decision about whether to do so has become a political statement.

Tuesday’s shooting occurred in Eaton county, south-west of Lansing, about 30 minutes after the stabbing at a Quality Dairy store, Lt Brian Oleksyk of the state police said, adding that a sheriff’s deputy spotted the man’s vehicle in a residential neighborhood and shot him when he tried to attack her with a knife.

Sean Ruis, 43 and from Grand Ledge, died at a hospital. He stabbed a 77-year-old man inside the Quality Dairy when he was confronted about not wearing a mask, Oleksyk said. The stabbing victim was in stable condition at a hospital.

(Italic emphasis added.)
    Link to The Guardian article.
  • That is a good one. These days Americans are not allowed to visit EU. How the world has changed?
  • changed, indeed.
  • For sure. Here's the pic for those just skimming:

• perfect.

• As an American who HAS often been around the world over the years, is globally astute, and yes, actually has a passport and *could* easily leave the country if he wanted to[1], this sign is both hilarious and depressing, for it shows how far our once leading world reputation has fallen thanks to the idiocy/ignorance of Tweety Amin's regime and their kowtowing to the 'free-dumb' loving folks who care about nothing but themselves and their 'rights' to do whatever they want.

[1] I remember in 2016/early 2017 many liberal folks were screaming about leaving the country. Yet many of them didn't even have a passport or know about little things, like exchange rates. (The same happened in 2008 and 2012 on the other side when the 'other' guy was elected, too.)
    Old_Joe said:

For sure. Here's the pic for those just skimming:

• Well, as good a place as any to add this concern.

It will be, the old method of; let's control the data to improve the circumstance view.

Covid data no longer to CDC, but to HHS article.

I'm optimistic that credible news sources will still be able to gather proper data from state health department levels, and of course; the view from the street, being reports from real people on the front lines of health care and related.
    We'll discover, soon enough, as to any amazing changes in statistics.

Yes, very scary folks in D.C. land playing with the lives of the citizens, IMO; for the benefit of "looking good" to a voting base.

I will not add more. Everyone here will have their own take away as to this policy change.

• Fine - send the data to HHS but also copy it to the usual researchers and centers as well. If HHS is the only place it goes, the data is ripe for tampering and/or politicalization by this regime, and cannot be trusted.
    catch22 said:

Well, as good a place as any to add this concern.

It will be, the old method of; let's control the data to improve the circumstance view.

Covid data no longer to CDC, but to HHS article.

I'm optimistic that credible news sources will still be able to gather proper data from state health department levels, and of course; the view from the street, being reports from real people on the front lines of health care and related.
    We'll discover, soon enough, as to any amazing changes in statistics.

Yes, very scary folks in D.C. land playing with the lives of the citizens, IMO; for the benefit of "looking good" to a voting base.

I will not add more. Everyone here will have their own take away as to this policy change.

• edited July 2020
    +1000 -- this is bad. Trying to control the data. The CDC is the place where it should go. If the data changes it will just add to more finger pointing and claims of THEIR data is bad. Another "us against them" to add to the list. DIVIDE/CONFUSE/SOW DOUBT on any issue is his mantra.
  • The original NY Times article.

Why wouldn't there be complete transparency? How can that even be something anyone would need to ask? No reason is given by the administration of why the data won't be made public. It's like a toddler closing their eyes & everything magically goes away?

Also concerning from the same NY Times article:
    Both the C.D.C. network and the TeleTracking system set up by Health and Human Services rely on so-called push data, meaning hospital employees must manually enter data, rather than the government tapping into an electronic system to obtain the information.

“The whole thing needs to be scrapped and started anew,” said Dr. Dan Hanfling, an expert in medical and disaster preparedness and a vice president at In-Q-Tel, a nonprofit strategic investment firm focused on national security. “It is laughable that this administration can’t find the wherewithal to bring 21st-century technologies in data management to the fight.”
    Just another example of crumbling infrastructure in the U.S.

• edited July 2020
    Another head slap for the non-believers, but from and for the wrong and sad reason.....

Not fake news to the best of my knowledge; but may be tweeted as such from somewhere/someone.

85 babies, under 1 year old test positive in Texas...in 1 county.
  • Treat with caution. Checked NPR, Washington Post, The Guardian, WSJ SF Chronicle for confirmation... nothing found.
  • From the Texas Dept of State Health Services as of July 17.

102 cases < 1year old

524 cases 1-9 years old

No deaths under 20 years old reported

• The HHS "new" data system in place. You may be the judge, of course: to its quality.
    As is normal, at times; the comments section is of interest, which is at the end of the write, from this The Hill publication.

For me and family, we can only know for sure what we see around us. Between the failure (s) in D.C. from that group and their followers; and the young ones who think they remain invincible to illness and that they won't introduce Covid to their families and more susceptible grandparents and others; is that if I don't take care in my methods of protection, I will not be here to read the final death count.

Good Evening,
    Catch
  • When those who need the biggest head slap state, "it is what it is"; one knows it is time to move along.

Michigan and other states combine with the Rockefeller Foundation to order rapid test kits.

Article
  • 102 cases < 1year old

524 cases 1-9 years old

No deaths under 20 years old reported
    So much for the believe that this virus don't affect young ones.