Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Anthem Debate Is Back. But Now It’s Standing That’s Polarizing - NY Times

Comments

• I plan to walk away from any political sports event. Do not want to watch
    entertainers trying to convert me!

I live near Seattle. Have started a personal movement to Defund Seattle. Will
    not go into the city and spend money. Only go for doctors appointments.
  • The methods used for building a more perfect nation are often mystifying.
  • edited July 2020
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/fireworks-illegal-video-of-southern-california/6298951/

Its OK to protest but not OK for fireworks...I don't understand it
  • @johnN - In Southern California I am sure protesting with fire hazards of any kind is not OK.
  • edited July 2020
    I'm not totally sure I understand your statement John but if you do not understand the difference between a protest and fireworks I suggest that you start at the beginning. And in case you're wondering dang right I was out protesting the death of George Floyd and all the symbolism it embraced but I totally shunned the fireworks. Nothing to celebrate until our total citizenship is seen as equals and allowed to be free.
  • edited July 2020
    A mask should be worn to both... imho
  • johnN said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/fireworks-illegal-video-of-southern-california/6298951/

Its OK to protest but not OK for fireworks...I don't understand it

Just to amplify what Anna said . . .

You probably don't know what it's like to stand in your front yard as the ashes of peoples' books and papers from a wildfire 25 miles away fall around you.

I remember the pages, because you could read what they were reading. And you hoped they made it out alive. Not everyone does.

• edited July 2020
    Serious discussion this evening about possibly flying the Confederate flag over the White House in the future? OMG. Speechless.

Google it! (or F it)
  • he is running for presidency of the CSA, sure, but no
  • I gleaned an interesting bit of trivia from a book review in the Times: in most of the states which soon were to secede the Union, Lincoln's name did not even appear on the ballot for the 1860 election. There's an extreme form of voter suppression, ain't it?
  • Was the name of any presidential candidate listed? Perhaps it was that the Republican Party candidates for electors were not on the ballot?
    During the first hundred years under the Constitution, whenever electors were chosen by popular vote, they were presented to the voter as individual candidates. In 1892 Massachusetts departed from this arrangement by providing for a grouping of the list of electors so that a single mark by the voter would serve for all electoral candidates nominated by a single party ... It became evident that printing the names of electoral candidates in a group served to make the ballot more compact, simplifying the task of the voter wishing to vote for all the electoral candidates of his party. ...

Kansas in 1897 and Wisconsin in 1901 introduced the practice of printing on the ballot the names of the candidates for president and vice-president, thus identifying each list of electoral candidates with the names made prominent by the campaign.
    Albright, Spencer D. "The Presidential Short Ballot." The American Political Science Review 34, no. 5 (1940): 955-59. Accessed July 7, 2020. doi:10.2307/1949218.
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/1949218 (JSTOR is paywalled, but limited access free with registration)
  • Another tidbit of election trivia. At the start of our democracy, the vice president of the United States was the person with the 2nd most votes in the presidential election. That changed in 1804 with the 12th amendment. Can you imagine today Trump being Biden's VP? That would be very interesting to say the least.
  • edited July 2020
    If a president shoots his vice president can he pardon himself?
  • edited July 2020
    Old_Joe said:

If a president shoots his vice president can he pardon himself?

Don’t know. It would seem constitutional.

- Next question: If the Vice President shoots the Prez and becomes President, can he pardon himself?

- Let’s extend that a bit further: If the Speaker of the House shoots both the President and Vice President and becomes President, can she pardon herself?
  • If she can't I will.
  • I'd certainly say that it's worth a try.
  • Howdy folks,

You want to give as Trump Foamer a cardiac? Tell them you just heard that Donald shot and killed Pence and then turned the gun on himself and committed suicide. Nancy Pelosi is being sworn in as President as I type.

feh, put in on Facebook.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono