Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Here Are 12 Investing Superstars in 2020, According to Morningstar

https://www.thinkadvisor.com/2020/06/15/here-are-12-investing-superstars-in-2020-according-to-morningstar/

Here Are 12 Investing Superstars in 2020, According to Morningstar

Morningstar has announced the nominees for its 2020 Awards for Investing Excellence, which recognizes established and up-and-coming portfolio managers for stellar performance as well as the asset management firm that excels in its stewardship of investors’ money. T. Rowe Price was the only firm that was nominated in all three categories. Fidelity had two nominations.

Anyone recommend any of these funds?

Comments

• MJG
    edited June 2020
    Hi Guys,

So Morningstar decides and identifies 12 current superstar investors. Thar’s Good to know. But more interesting and profitable are how these winners perform after their selection? How persistent are these star operations? What fraction repeat their success story? Long term performance is what counts most!

Best Wishes
  • edited June 2020
    Exemplary Stewardship:

Capital Group (American Funds)
    Dodge & Cox
    T. Rowe Price

Yes - “In the room where it happens ...”

• boy, that's 25 seconds of skimming I will never get back
  • Apparently this guy was not one of the 12

"Day-trading can have tragic consequences. A 20-year-old student died by suicide June 12 after seeing a $730,000 negative balance in his account, Forbes reports. The loss apparently resulted from a complex options trade. The student's suicide note, Forbes added, stated that he had "no clue" about how it was supposed to work."
  • What did he use for collateral ?
    Derf
  • Please read the whole tragic story:
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/18/young-trader-dies-by-suicide-after-thinking-he-racked-up-big-losses-on-robinhood.html

Quoting the article:
    "It was less than 24 hours after Alex had checked his account at the wildly popular trading app, Robinhood. In his note, he said he thought he had quickly racked up a negative $730,165 cash balance. But Alex may have misunderstood the Robinhood financial statement, according to a relative.

“He thought he was exposed, he thought that ending his life would protect his family from the exposure,” Bill Brewster, a cousin by marriage and an analyst at Sullimar Capital, told CNBC in a phone interview. “He got on his bike and never came home.”
  • edited June 2020
    Not worth losing your life over. Sounds like some sort of options / derrivitives based trading. Nasty stuff when it goes against you. Include short-sellers in that herd too. I toyed with buying an energy fund when oil was plummeting a couple months ago. Like most, I naively assumed $0 to be the absolute rock bottom the price could reach. Things were moving so fast, however, I instead did what I do instinctively when felling a big tree - "Stand Clear!" Whew. Oil finished negative that day by over $30. Many inexperienced players got clobbered.

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” - Ernest Hemingway