Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

U.S. virus deaths could reach 200,000, Fauci warns as medical supplies run short

Comments

• edited March 2020
    From the article: "Dr. Arabia Mollette, an emergency medicine physician at Brookdale and St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx, say she now works in a "medical warzone."

"We're trying to keep our heads above water without drowning," Mollette said. "We are scared. We're trying to fight for everyone else's life, but we also fight for our lives as well.""

Just so sad and infuriating when there was ample opportunity to get ahead of this thing in meaningful ways. If only idiocy and arrogance were to be considered as high crimes and misdemeanors.

I'm fairly certain Dr. Fauci will find employment in any endeavor with half a brain cell but once fired he can probably kiss his government pension goodbye. The twit in chief will try to find a way.
  • "I'm fairly certain Dr. Fauchi will find employment in any endeavor with half a brain cell"

Assuming he wants that after working since 1968 as a civil servant in the National Institutes of Health.
    David Rubenstein, the billionaire head of the Carlyle Group and one-time government official (who also heads our fundraising effort at the Kennedy School), notes that Fauci still lives in the same house he bought after medical school, until recently took the Metro to work, and passes up an official car for speeches in favor of the public transit. Rubenstein recounts that a number of years ago he asked Fauci whether he might want to leave government for the private sector, he responded that he didn't need the money and wanted to stay where he was.
    https://fcw.com/blogs/lectern/2020/03/in-praise-of-public-servants-like-fauci.aspx

Unlike Andrew McCabe whose civil service protections were limited because he was employed by the FBI, I believe that Dr. Fauchi has full protections including the right to appeal to the Merit Systems Protection Board.

https://www.abajournal.com/news/article/can_deputy_fbi_director_andrew_mccabe_sue_over_his_firing
  • I don't understand the pension questions unless he is going to jail or something. According to Wikipedia, Fauchi was born in 1940 and joined NIH in 1968. Unless he had a very large gap in service, he is probably on the old retirement system, CSRS, and could have retired with full pension 20 years ago. At this point he is probably not adding to his pension at all. He could have gone to a contractor, contracted back to the NIH and collected a high salary plus his government pension but it looks like he didn't. If so, color him dedicated. After skimming information about him, it might be that Trump needs to keep Fauchi happy and not vice versa. But, I don't think Trump can touch his pension entitlement.
  • edited March 2020
    I'm sorry, my apologies re: the pension. I din't expect to be taken literally but I should have known better with this crowd.

Frankly I'm of the opinion that Dr, Fauci performs his duties despite any adulation or compensation he might receive because he plain and simply loves and believes in what he does and the assistance he provides.
  • @Anna is right. Dr. Fauci is a federal employee who has advise several presidents dated back to Ronald Reagan days. He is over 70 years old has truly earned his federal pension. We, as the citizens of this country are in debt to his great service to the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). His honesty is shining moment when he speaks to the public unlike the rest of the crowns in their daily briefings.
  • edited March 2020
    I disagree;-)

Sorry to say but Fauci answers sometimes are semi-political and vague, he just can't answer straight and it takes him so long to be direct and on point. On one TV channel is says one thing and 30 minutes later another, if the interviewer is smart and presses him then he is willing to be more direct. Typical "cover-my-axx" answers.

Several days ago they asked him if he would use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in dire situations follow by all the required procedures. It took him 3-4 minutes of BS instead of just saying simply yes while other doctors' answers were simpler.

He is my least favorite task force experts.
  • edited March 2020
    @ FD1000 - I beg to differ:

° Of course his answers are semi-political and vague. One look at the grand orange poobah standing off to the side glaring tells you all you need to know. He tries to give smart, insightful and intelligent answers without infuriating him, him who could easily replace the good doctor with any idiot who is willing to kiss butt who however knows less than 45 about viruses. Low bar I know and hard to imagine but look at all the rest of his appointees.

° I watched that segment where he was asked if he would use hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in dire situations. He tried despartely to let the viewers know that he thought it risky and ill-informed at the time and only said yes when the question was reformulated to a situation of desperation. I commend him for holding it together.

° Who are you nominations for someone better and more qualified? Why?

° Who are your favorite task force experts? Why?
  • FD1000,

I'm sure that you will take a crack at Mark's questions. When you are finished, I have only one.

By chance, is this your most favorite task force expert?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factcheck/ap-fact-check-trump-gets-a-reality-check-on-coronavirus/ar-BB11T04I?li=BBnb7Kz

Mona