Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ostrx fund

morningstar says its a non-traditional bond fund and lipper says its a core bond fund. who is correct? im looking for a low risk fund to invest money that has been sitting in a checking account earning zero.

Comments

• M* is more correct. Look at their (site).
    Investment-grade, U.S. dollar-based, absolute return-oriented strategy
    Ability to manage and hedge duration based on market conditions
    Portfolio construction and rebalancing are driven by investment decisions, not benchmark changes

I highlight above several keywords.

Now, do I want to invest in OSTRX?
    I would compare it to SEMMX,IISIX see PorVis(link)

SEMMX,IISIX have better performance, SD=voltility, Sharpe, Sortino and higher income too.
  • For cash, I would look at SEMMX or DHEAX/DHEIX. SEMMX has lower rating bonds and better performance than DHEAX (Investment grade > 80%). I call these funds "cash sub" for investors who are willing to take a calculated risk.
    See PorVis(link)
    I hardly ever hold cash/MM/CD but that's what I do and what suites my goals.
  • OSTRX just like its sibling OSTIX carry transaction fees to purchase on all the major brokerage platforms I've reviewed.
  • edited February 2020
    At Schwab IISIX is NTF and $100 min. This is the “I” share with only .61 ER. It’s a good deal.