Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Harry Macklowe’s “Tower Fifth” To Become New York City’s Tallest Building By Roof Height

edited February 2020 in Off-Topic
Harry Macklowe’s “Tower Fifth” To Become New York City’s Tallest Building By Roof Height, Rising 1,556′ To Pinnacle At 5 East 51st Street, In Midtown East
STORY LINK

Just noticed that Bloomberg TV’s normal background shot of the NYC skyline, featuring the lovely Empire State Building, has become diminished by a rather unattractive, larger and taller nearby building still under construction. Realizing that from a distance these towers always appear much closer to one another than they really are, I still find it shameful that the graceful ES’s portion of the sky is being adulterated so.

Here’s an earlier collection of skyline photos featuring the Empire State Building without the unsightly taller structure(s) encroaching on its turf. A majesty all its own: PHOTOS LINK

“Tower Fifth” is not part of the new Hudson Yards development (as I earlier suggested). However, FYI here’s a link to a story about the amazing observation deck at Hudson Yards to be completed by year’s end. STORY LINK

And here’s a NYT link on “New York’s Evolving Skyline” STORY LINK

BTW: If you haven’t been there, the view from the top of the 100+ story World I (Freedom Tower) is worth a trip to the city all in itself. No need to climb all those floors. A speedy elevator whisks (rockets?) you to the top in 47 seconds.:) STORY LINK

(Not from NYC - just an occasional visitor)

Comments