Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barron's Article Featuring Grandeur Peak

edited January 2020 in Fund Discussions
Yes I own 4 of their funds. I hope the link works.
Link to Barron’s article
Try this: http://webreprints.djreprints.com/57003.html

Comments

• Derf said:

Yes I own 4 of their funds. I hope the link works.
    Link to Barron’s article
    Try this: http://webreprints.djreprints.com/57003.html

I have a small position in Stalwarts in my IRA. I keep reading (30-40 years) about international stocks taking off any day now.
  • @WABAC Lol. Exactly how I feel. Until I sell my international holdings they will not take off. For last "20 years" waiting for "Emerging Value" stocks to take off.
  • @WABAC @VintageFreak Fundamentally inaccurate:
  • hi Lewis,

what's that column on the right in your first graphic? Is that average returns over the time span? Do I see bonds beating foreign eguity over the course of your chosen period?

I have a decent chunk of foreign issues because many of the funds I buy are allowed to buy them.

I have a couple of dedicated foreign funds in my IRA for the same reason I have a small chunk of gold. You never know.

After looking at that first graphic I'm glad my foreign stake has not been in indexes, if that number was based on indexes.
  • edited January 2020

@WABAC Lol. Exactly how I feel. Until I sell my international holdings they will not take off. For last "20 years" waiting for "Emerging Value" stocks to take off.

So. You're not in an index? ;-)
  • edited January 2020
    An average for an entire period is not every year in that period. You both were stating you were waiting 20 to 40 years for international and emerging markets to outperform. Some of those years in the last 20 to 40 you would’ve strongly outperformed in international and emerging. The truth is the last ten years have skewed the long-term averages towards large U.S. growth stocks. That hasn’t always been the case and given the cyclicality of markets probably won’t always will be.
  • An average for an entire period is not every year in that period.

No it's not. On the other hand, I can't predict when international might rise to the top, or crash to the bottom. I don't have forever to give it an equal weighting to some other categories in my IRA like small, mid, large, REITs, utilities, health, and consumer staples; in the hopes that something might change. Most of my fund managers have the freedom to fish in foreign waters if they see fit.

Commodities out-performed in some of those years too. And I might add a small stake given their depressed price. But a lot would have to change before they became a large and concentrated feature of my IRA portfolio. The same would have to happen with foreign equity.

I have had Vanguard International Growth bubbling along since 1992 in my taxable account. So if foreign goes on anything resembling a sustained surge I would do just fine.
    You both were stating you were waiting 20 to 40 years for international and emerging markets to outperform. Some of those years in the last 20 to 40 you would’ve strongly outperformed in international and emerging.
    You win Lewis.
  • Have a small position in gpgox. Since 2011 return is 13.88%, pretty decent even though a massive bull market period. I want to see returns like Wasatch Micro-cap. 15.96% since 1995.