Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited December 2019
    FD1000,

So now you are stalking DT on this board too?

Let me give you some advice, if you continue to harass someone who is not interested in your “advice”, you are setting yourself up for possible legal action against you. He could very easily get an OP (order of protection) to prevent you from communicating with him in any way.

You need to be aware of what you are doing...
  • FD: "Why would any reasonable retiree go for a long term of 3% performance for their whole taxable account?"

FD, my statement above was: "I have generally wanted funds in my taxable account, with an average total return history of over 3%." Some funds in my taxable account have a total return history (at least 5 years) of close to 5%, some have a total return history of close to 4%, and some have a total return history of a little over 3%. BTMIX and DBLSX had a 2019 performance of over 3% (the only year I owned them, but there longer term history is not as good as other funds in my taxable account, and I am not counting on them to exceed a TR of over 3% going forward, so I am considering replacing them.

Secondly, I would request that you not engage in criticizing, or questioning, any poster on this thread, including me. Each investor has their own personal reasons for why they hold certain bond oefs, and it is not my place to tell anyone they are doing anything wrong, or that they are somehow not a good investor because they pick funds different than I pick. I would like to request you follow that principle in your commentary on this thread, and cease being critical of what others are doing. I
  • ZEOIX has a transaction fee at Fidelity, E-Trade and Vanguard also. Not sure how long Firstrade will continue to sell all OEM's with no transaction fee.
  • edited December 2019
    BigTom said:

FD1000,

So now you are stalking DT on this board too?

You need to be aware of what you are doing...

Pretty sure that following a poster from one internet board to another, primarily to harass or criticize, on CHRISTMAS DAY no less, elevates ones already despicable status of "troll" all the way to "TROLL."

It's something rarely seen, but then so is jumping protocol from a "double dog dare" to a "triple dog dare." (See A Christmas Story.)

But then, 'tis the season.

On a far more serious note, I kindly suggest the moderator here gets this poster under control immediately lest MFO suffer the same fate as other boards.

• edited December 2019
    Carew388: “ On a far more serious note, I kindly suggest the moderator here gets this poster under control immediately lest MFO suffer the same fate as other boards.”

Thank you for the observation and suggestion. There is no reason for the behavior of that poster. Unsolicited critique of a poster’s investing choices shows a total lack of etiquette. And why should anyone have to defend their choices to a stranger?
  • stillers "Pretty sure that following a poster from one internet board to another, primarily to harass or criticize, on CHRISTMAS DAY no less, elevates ones already despicable status of "troll" all the way to "TROLL.""

I'm active on MFO since 2017 and make comments about funds and especially bond funds. Can you please show where my comments were off base?
  • edited December 2019
    FD1000 said:

stillers "Pretty sure that following a poster from one internet board to another, primarily to harass or criticize, on CHRISTMAS DAY no less, elevates ones already despicable status of "troll" all the way to "TROLL.""

I'm active on MFO since 2017 and make comments about funds and especially bond funds. Can you please show where my comments were off base?

dtconroe has already tried to tell you the answer to that question.

But as is your style, you've challenged/not accepted his explanation.

But that's all minutiae.

The Big Picture here is dtconroe, a highly valued bond poster, left M* largely due to his/their/both inability to control you there. He's started posting on MFO for the time being, moving this specific thread topic here (the one that appears to have been his final undoing with you on M*) in attempts to engage with others without interference from YOU.

But that seems impossible unless MFO does something about it.

Most seriously though bub...

Is your life is SO miserable and empty that you need to TROLL posters from one board to another on freaking CHRISTMAS DAY? (BTW, that's rhetorical for everyone but you.)
  • carew388: "ZEOIX has a transaction fee at Fidelity, E-Trade and Vanguard also. Not sure how long Firstrade will continue to sell all OEM's with no transaction fee"

carew388, I am not aware of any brokerage without a TF for ZEOIX. The other issue with ZEOIX is that it has a 1% redemption fee, if sold in the first 30days of ownership. I don't like redemption fees, even though I understand the reasons the fund company charges them.
  • Vanguard sells ZEOIX along with all other OEFs it carries, with no transaction fee (up to 25 trades per year per SSN) to its Flagship customers. More to its Flagship Select customers.

WellsTrade does not sell ZEOIX, so grandfathered customers cannot access it that way.

Likewise, Firstrade does not sell funds offered by Zeo Capital Advisors.
    https://www.firstrade.com/content/en-us/researchtools/mutualfund
  • Interesting thread. Thanks, all.
  • I am taking a close look at increasing my SEMMX position in my taxable account. I only have a small foothold position of SEMMX in my taxable account, primarily because it is not a tax efficient bond oef. I have held a relatively large position of SEMMX in my IRA account, where tax efficiency is not important. SEMMX is such a smooth performing fund, with no significant dips in its performance history, produces a TR of 4 to 5% pretty consistently. I am thinking that if I keep the position relatively small, the taxable consequences will not be significant. Some posters will consider SEMMX/SEMPX risky because of the low credit rating of its portfolio, but it seems the portfolio managers have done an excellent job, of managing this risk, with its arsenal of investing strategies allowed in a nontraditional bond oef. It has a Standard Deviation below 1, so it resembles smooth performance of funds like DBLSX, but with better total return.
  • edited December 2019
    Hi guys,

Some of my long time oef holdings and better performers found in my income sleeve are Lord Abbett Bond Debenture (LBNDX) ... Pimco Income (PONAX) ... and, Nuveen All American Municipal Bond (FLAAX). I have listed their A share ticker symbols. Please know, other share classes are available.

Remember, when members are signed in you can click on the above fund ticker symbols and select from a menu of fund reports (and even prior MFO fund discussions) which can be viewed.

Wishing all ... "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet
  • edited December 2019
    Hello Old Skeet. I am logged in and cannot use the tickers as a link. I am familiar with PONAX/PIMIX but I wanted to research the others. How long have you held them? FLAAX looks like a decent long term performer and not extremely volatile as one might expect for a long duration.

• All 3 of O_S links working here.
    Derf
  • OEF = Open Ended Fund, meaning that the fund can issue an unlimited fund to meet buyer demand. This is in contrast to Closed Ended Fund ("CEFs") that have a fixed number of shares. OEFs issue new shares to buyers of their fund and redeem shares from investors who wish to liquidate/sell their shares. Purchases and sales of OEFs take place at the net asset value calculated at the end of each trading day. In contrast, shares of CEFs trade during the day on stock exchanges and may sell at either a discount or premium from the shares's net asset value per share. Mutual funds are sometimes referred to as OEFs.

• @Gary1952 What browser are you using?
  • I am using Safari.
  • Oh, an Apple product. I have Windows computers and can't troubleshoot Safari problems. Someone else will be along that can, I'm sure.
  • @dtconroe. Have you evaluated DHEIX as an option? It has an average annual return of about 4% and a MAXDD of only 0.2%. Looks like a very interesting fund. SD is only 0.7.
  • I use Safari on 3 different Apple devices and have no problem with mutual fund tickers as links.
  • MikeW: " Have you evaluated DHEIX as an option? It has an average annual return of about 4% and a MAXDD of only 0.2%. Looks like a very interesting fund. SD is only 0.7."

Hi Mike--In my taxable account, I own DHEAX, a different share class of DHEIX, and have been very pleased with it. I am not able to purchase the DHEIX share class at Schwab. I also own MWCIX and PUTIX, which I also am pleased with. My other 2 major holdings in my taxable account are DBLSX and BTMIX, but I am in the process of determining whether I want to replace them with funds that I think will produce higher total return, with slightly more risk.
  • Lots to read and learn about. I don’t have any bonds in our portfolio. Mainly balanced funds and a few sector funds.
  • I am making some year end changes in my taxable portfolio, positioning for 2020. At the end of a calendar year, and the beginning of the next calendar year, I determine which funds I want to continue holding, in what amounts, and choose replacement funds I hope to hold for the entirety of the following calendar year. The 2 funds I am selling are DBLSX and BTMIX. Although I was pleased with their 2019 performance, with their performance exceeding their historical TR averages, I prefer to shift those assets into "slightly riskier" funds, which I believe will improve my TR in my taxable account in 2020. Additionally, I will be taking some RMD distributions from my IRA account, and sending those distributions into my taxable account as well. I expect to deploy those total cash assets into new and existing taxable funds the first week of 2020
  • What are good competitors to MINT? I could stand more volatility for better return ...
  • edited December 2019
    dtconroe mentioned 1 possible fund above. It is DBLSX. It is low duration not short term bond. 1 step up in volatility.
  • Gary1952 said:

dtconroe mentioned 1 possible fund above. It is DBLSX. It is low duration not short term bond. 1 step up in volatility.

I have DLSNX - the class N share with a minimum of $2000 and an SEC yield of around 2.66%. I use it as a cash alternative and have actually found it less volatile than all of my other short term funds - and even ultrashort funds. I highly recommend it.
  • Just my opinion based on what is available at Schwab brokerage--not sure about other brokerages, but here are some of the lower volatility, low risk bond oefs you might consider for your taxable account:

Short Term Investment Grade bond oefs--DBLSX/DLSNX is a very solid, very conservative fund, which I periodically use as a very safe haven option. DHEAX/DHEIX is very similar to DBLSX/DLSNX, but with a bit better TR and yield. FIJEX is a hidden gem short term bond fund, in the institutional class but cheap to buy, but holds lower class investment grade bond oefs that has produced more volatility but higher TR than most short term bond oefs.

Low risk nontraditional bond oefs--MWCRX/MWCIX is one of my favorites and cheap to buy. CUBAX is very similar to MWCRX and cheap to buy. PMZIX/PMZAX is an excellent fund from PIMCO, with a solid TR history, good yield, and PIMCO investment expertise--it is not as tax efficient as some funds buy very conservative. SEMMX/SEMPX is a low volatililty, very consistent TR fund, with higher TR and yield than almost any of the lower volatility funds available--holdings are more in the HY category but excellent management history to control risk with solid TR. IISIX/ISIAX is a great TR fund, very similar to more aggressive multisector bond oefs, but pays a solid yield--not as good tax efficiency as other nontraditional bond oefs.

Short Duration HY bond oefs--ZEOIX is an excellent fund, and institutional class fund, but cheap to buy at Schwab--very consistent and low risk performance history. AAHMX is another excellent fund, with a slightly better TR history. SSTHX is another good fund.

Short Term Muni Bond funds, with emphasis on investment grade bonds: BTMIX is my favorite, but other good funds are VMPAX, and ORSTX.

HY short duration Muni Bond oefs: NVHAX and SDHAX are my favorites and much lower risk than most HY Muni Bond oefs. NVHAX had a significant peak to trough performance in the 2015/2016 meltdown, but since then has been solid as a low risk Muni option.
  • davidrmoran: "What are good competitors to MINT? I could stand more volatility for better return ..."

David, MINT is an ETF, and it gets very positive reviews by M* as a cash alternative. I am not an ETF investor, so I will not be able to compare it to Bond OEFs, but in my post above, you might find some interesting bond oef funds to consider. At Schwab, I use their SWVXX fund as Money Market alternative to bank accounts.
  • For those who are interested in investing in a Traditional IRA, that is where the majority of my investment assets are located. I try to use a bit more risky, and higher TR options than in my taxable account. However, I am very conservative, focused on preservation of principal, and using funds that will have a good chance at recouping my RMD distribution each year. In 2019, we had a very good market, and I was able to recoup my RMD, plus increase my overall IRA investment total by a healthy amount. I tend to use a large number of multisector bond oefs in my IRA. I have categorized multisector bond oefs that I follow in the following manner:

Conservative Multisector bond oefs: ANGIX is one of the more conservative lower risk multisector bond fund, and has been around for many years. VCFAX/VCFIX is probably my favorite fund, and has had a solid but shorter history than some other funds. IISIX/ISIAX is actually a nontraditional bond oef, but I consider it a very low risk multisector bond oef. I also include PIMIX/PONAX in this conservative category, have held it for many years, but it has become a bit more inconsistent in recent years, as it has had to branch out into more risky HY and EM bond categories, to help deal with huge AUM--it use to be a predominantly mortgage oriented fund with an emphasis on nonagency mortgages, but not so much anymore.

More risky but attractive multisector bond oefs: PUCZX is one of the more interesting funds, with a very attractive total return history--it use derivatives heavily and has a little higher SD than the more conservative bond oefs. JMSIX/JGIAX is also an interesting fund, highly recommended at Schwab because you can get the Institutional share class very cheaply--its performance history is a bit inconsistent, but it has been doing well this past year. JMUIX/JMUTX is also a very interesting fund, with a great TR history, and a very strong 2019--it has more appeal to me than PUCZX and JMSIX because it appears a bit less risky. PTIAX is a barbell type fund, focusing on longer term Munis and Nonagency mortgages--it has some inconsistency in my opinion, probably because of its barbell holdings. PTIAX pays a nice yield. IOFIX is a multisector bond fund, that is relatively new, and has phenomenal TR history, but it focuses primarily on one risky mortgage category, so I consider it more risky but very tempting.

Not sure what others are doing in this category, but I am "considering" stepping up my risk a little, but not considering any major changes in my overall very conservative holdings. I have this love/hate relationship with PIMIX, which I hold in a small portfolio percentage, and I am trying to determine whether I want to increase my investment in this fund, or possibly add a new fund I don't currently hold like JMUTX.
  • dtconroe: Any opinion on LALDX or HOBEX? Thank you for all your input.