Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

U.S. To Impose 25% Tariff On Scotch Whisky

edited October 2019 in Off-Topic
“The US is set to enforce US$7.5 billion of tariffs on exports from the EU, including Scotch whisky and liqueurs, over an ongoing dispute with the World Trade Organization (WTO)”

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2019/10/us-slaps-25-tariff-on-scotch-whisky/

Comments

• edited October 2019
    that easy-fix just buy wild turkey or Hennessy

give trump some wildturkey he will change the tariff rules after couple of shots

• As I snarkily said on the other site, now it's getting personal (for me). Well, that, and b/c of certain Italian cheeses that may be impacted.
  • edited October 2019
    Without Parmigiano Reggiano, I can see White House dinners with green shakers of Kraft on the tables.

Also...it's a tax on Irish whiskey as well.

• This WH doesn't use ParmReg, they use processed Kraft Singles and think it high cuisine.
    PRESSmUP said:

Without Parmigiano Reggiano, I can see White House dinners with green shakers of Kraft on the tables.

Also...it's a tax on Irish whiskey as well.

• edited October 2019
    johnN said:

that easy-fix just buy wild turkey or Hennessy.

Except that some of us have better taste. Stocked up this spring when the state LCC customarily drops on a few brands. So good for 6 months. Will probably ditch single malts and drink Cutty & J&B again when the good stuff’s gone. Those sell for half the price. Thus, half the tax ... (oops - “tariff“)
  • Them's fightin' words.
  • Cutty ?? No No no. I will go down the age structure. 10 year instead of 16
  • I might have to switch to bourbon. They call the Trumpster a "populist?" What a buncha shit. Anyway, he'll soon be eating crow, and drinking crow piss, himself. Tong of criminals around him, and he's the lead vocalist/tweeter.
  • Crash said:

I might have to switch to bourbon. They call the Trumpster a "populist?" What a buncha shit. Anyway, he'll soon be eating crowo, and drinking crow piss, himself. Tong of criminals around him, and he's the lead vocalist/tweeter.

Totally agree. Some of the charlatans in high political office all around the world makes me fear for humanity.

Just a thought, if the UK does finally leave the EU on Oct 31, the proposed tariffs won't apply to Scottish whisky manufacturers, since the UK will no longer be in the EU. Strange thetefore that the governing Scottish nationalist party wants to remain in the EU and watch its world class whisky industry decimated.

• edited October 2019
    Crash said:

I might have to switch to bourbon.

@Crash, Sorry - But on that one I’m in full agreement with Hank Jr.

“Lordy, I have loved some ladies
    and I have loved Jim Beam.
    And they both tried to kill me in 1973.”

https://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/williams-hank-jr/family-tradition-10115.html
  • Speaking of Hank Jr. I really enjoyed the recent Ken Burns PBS series on Country Music.
  • Old_Joe; +1
    Derf
  • edited October 2019
    OJ & Derf - I didn’t watch that series, but have some knowledge of Jr. & Sr. Shocking to realize that Hank, Sr. died at 29. Not a big country fan (as when I was younger), but some of the harmonies old Hank created during those 29 years are downright beautiful - if not brilliant. You can sense that when a talented pianist, like Di Scherling, plays one at a slower tempo. One wonders what he might have created in a normal lifetime.
  • I have started to migrate toward locally brewed whiskies in TX. Some from Austin are pretty darned good. I've done this mostly because I am trying to buy American, and regardless of tariffs.
  • Tariffs to be imposed on so much more than Scotch.

Full List Here
  • hank said:

OJ & Derf - I didn’t watch that series, but have some knowledge of Jr. & Sr. Shocking to realize that Hank, Sr. died at 29. Not a big country fan (as when I was younger), but some of the harmonies old Hank created during those 29 years are downright beautiful - if not brilliant. You can sense that when a talented pianist, like Di Sherling, plays one at a slower tempo. One wonders what he might have created in a normal lifetime.

• edited October 2019
    Thanks @Crash. Nice pick!
    Mark said:

Tariffs to be imposed on so much more than Scotch.

Full List Here

From the list @Mark linked: “Single-malt (or straight) Irish and Scotch Whiskies (described in 2208.30.30)”.

Wonder who wrote that list? Do they realize that blended scotch is also, by law, distilled in Scotland? And do they realize that most fine blended scotch whiskies contain single-malt in some proportion? How in tarnation do they intend to tax the exact percentage of Aberfeldy (a great single malt) that’s contained within Dewars White Label (a not so great blended scotch)?

JWB is a first class blended scotch - but contains some single malts. I don’t know if Diageo, who owns Johnny Walker, even makes public the specific single malt(s) contained within or the exact percentage,

Or, could a distiller avoid the tariffs completely by marketing a blended scotch that’s comprised 80% of single malts?

Yikes - They’ll need some high-paid bureaucrat to figure all this out and administer that tariff.