Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Our New Portfolio Analysis Tool

Comments

• outstanding Charles! Thanks so much for developing this tool for us all to use.... Really appreciate it. Will play around some this weekend.
  • Yay! Thank you. Yes, pretty cool, if I say so myself. But just the beginning with real-time calcs on the site.
  • already put to good use, meaning one can create a portfolio of 4 funds or whatever and adjust their proportions while tracking UI changes (and other changes)

in order to see for oneself how to get the most consistent longterm bang for the risk, so to speak

(if it ever adds $10k cagr graphing over easily adjustable time periods it will put M* out of business, almost)

just excellent hard work, excellent
  • Thank you @Charles. Had lots of fun over the weekend. Portfolios is a very informative tool for visualizing changes in performance and risk parameters (Ulcer index and MFO Risk ranking) within a portfolio when low/non-correlating funds are used. If the funds have long enough record, one can see the full up and down cycle dated from Nov 2007 to August 2019. Very cool indeed.

• I am having trouble with the Portfolios tool. The first portfolio I entered had four funds. No problem. If I click on Portfolio 1 I am immediately taken to the Results. Getting back is a small problem as Results is the only function I have found on the new Premium site that does not open in a new tab. There is no way to go back to Portfolios except to click on that word in the menu. But OK, not a big problem. The second portfolio I entered had thirteen funds. I entered the percentages with decimal places. The portfolio was saved and accepted but clicking on Portfolio 2 produces no results. (clicking on Portfolio 1 still works). Then I changed the percentages to whole numbers and called it Portfolio 3. Clicking on that produces no results either. What am I doing wrong?
  • @Ben, You can use the back icon to get back to the MFO Premium home page. Click Portfolios again and it brings you back to your portfolios page with all portfolios you created. Fractional % works fine. If the total % of all funds do not sum up to 100%, it will inform you. If the trading symbols are not realized, you will be inform. So far I have not able to reproduce the errors you are having, sorry.
  • Sven said:

@Ben, You can use the back icon to get back to the MFO Premium home page. Click Portfolios again and it brings you back to your portfolios page with all portfolios you created. Fractional % works fine. If the total % of all funds do not sum up to 100%, it will inform you. If the trading symbols are not realized, you will be inform. So far I have not able to reproduce the errors you are having, sorry.

Thanks for trying. The only way I could get it to work was to copy each fund ticker followed by the percentage in brackets and paste them in a new portfolio. And that worked instantly. However in my case, using Safari, there is indeed a back button from Portfolios, that is to say the page on which one enters data for Portfolios 1 or 2 etc. But once I click on the name of the portfolio and am taken to the results page there is no back button available. If I click on "Portfolios" on the *menu* then I get back to the page on which I entered mutual fund tickers for different portfolios.
  • edited September 2019
    Hi Ben.

Sorry for any hassle.

Please use the Refine button above the Results table to update/edit existing Portfolios or add new ones. It is effectively the "go back" button.

Yes, the Results table shows up on same page, but you can open as many Portfolios pages as you like. Similarly, you can have multiple MultiSearch pages open.

Use Save button on the main Portfolios page to save the portfolios, but it will also save automatically (or prompt you) if you edit then run a portfolio already saved. This feature is especially helpful you if have several Portfolio pages open ... my thanks to teapot for pressing this ... ditto with WatchLists.

If you click any of the down gray arrows on any of the pages throughout the site it will expand descriptions and often show user tips.

If you hover over the header titles in MultiSearch or Portfolios you will see brief description of metrics.

Yes, Safari is always tricky! I will email you my cell and we can chat, perhaps do screen share ... and I will make any modifications/corrections to make it better ... pronto.

c
  • @Charles, Safari has served me well over the years just as IE, Chrome and Firefox on the Windows OS. So far Portfolio tool has been very useful while in exploring less correlated asset classes and lowering the overall risk over time.

The Recovery time of each fund is another insightful parameter to consider during portfolio construction with respect to the drawdown. Vanguard Total International Stock Index has one of the longest recovery time - 114 months or 9.5 years after 2007 recession.

Once again, thank you for making this tool available to MFO Premium members. I look forward to the next phase of development.

• @Sven. Thank you! Can't tell you how many times page/styling works in Chrome, Firefox, Edge, but not in Safari ... always a litmus test of the robustness of a site. I will add recovery time to the real-time calcs in Portfolio, as well as MAXDD Date and other metrics we've gotten used to seeing. You will soon be able to run all your Portfolios with one click ... and, an option to substitute category average (like David tried to do in the original post) for younger funds to cover any longer evaluation periods. Finally, will be adding the suite of Analyze tools, as applicable, that we enjoy with MultiSearch to Portfolios. c
  • @davidrmoran. Thank you! "... if it ever adds $10k cagr graphing over easily adjustable time periods ..." Adding holdings data is next big improvement planned, then after that plotting!
  • @charles do you think you might do a webinar sometime on the new portfolio tool. Thx again!
  • Oui! Been thinking the same thing. Soon!
  • That would be wonderful! Thank you.
  • Sounds great! Thx