Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Low volatility funds

edited September 2019 in Fund Discussions
I track a few of these funds on an ongoing basis. Among those I follow here are the one day returns from the big selloff yesterday -- 8/14/2019. I find VMVFX to be particularly interesting. If anyone else has any favorite low volatility funds, please share. thanks
VMVFX -- -1.67%
SPLV -- -1.98%
USMV -- -2.20
XMLV -- -1.88%
SPHD -- -2.45%

Comments

• Ha! One of key ingredients of "tight channel" funds. c
  • @MikeW: After two up days.

VMVFX =+1.49%

SPLV =+ 1.94

XMLV =+ 2.16 Looks good !

SPHD =+ 1.78

USMV =+ 1.79

@MikeW: Just some other numbers to throw into your thoughts.

Have a good weekend, Derf
  • Thanks for sharing @derf. Yes XMLV is an interesting one. Seems to be more volatile than SPLV and USMV. I think @BenWP may have owned this one at one point.
  • @MikeW: you have a better memory than I! XMLV has beaten its category and index every year of its existence, not too shabby.
  • @BenWP thanks for sharing that. Yes impressive performance. Do you recall how it held it up in the market selloff last fall? I'm intrigued by these low volatility funds but I know valuations have gotten rich on them too as people have been piling into them. So I haven't added them yet.
  • @MikeW: I don't know how to create a chart of several ETFs and post it as a link; some members do this regularly. However, the chart for XMLV shows a far less severe drop-off last fall compared to mid-cap growth or blend MFs.
  • BenWP said:

@MikeW: I don't know how to create a chart of several ETFs and post it as a link; some members do this regularly. However, the chart for XMLV shows a far less severe drop-off last fall compared to mid-cap growth or blend MFs.

Cool. Thanks for sharing.... im going to compare it to FAMEX whixh is mid cap blend.
  • Also take a look at AUENX.