Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Trump approved Iran air strikes, then orders "stand down", Thursday, 7pm, NYTimes

edited June 2019 in Off-Topic
Nuff said for now.
Subject and below according to NYT story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/20/world/middleeast/iran-us-drone.html

Comments

• dispute over location of drone. Pun intended: this whole business with escalating tensions, is trumped-up.
  • edited June 2019
    Thinking Placing trade for more OIL USO.. Not sure to trust nyt though... Have to respect Middle East countries and our allies (collective efforts like previous first Iraq war w many nations) although Iran is asking to be punched in the face
  • You're really doubting NYT foreign news and pending-war coverage ? wow.
  • Ya, I noticed that, too. LAUGH.
    Aljazeera reports nothing different than the NYT.
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/06/trump-approved-strikes-iran-abruptly-canceled-report-190621042657387.html
  • and that's another credible source
  • edited June 2019
    I have no idea whether this unfolded accidentally or by design, but in any case it ended well. Iran was put on notice that only the last-minute intervention by Trump saved it from serious retribution. If an accident, fortuitous. If by design, well played. No lives lost- by a whisker. I just hope that somebody in a responsible position in our government actually has a rational plan for dealing with Iran now that Trump has unilaterally started trouble all over again.
  • OJ you know as well as anyone that there is nobody in that administration with even half a clue.
  • Yeah... sigh...
  • edited June 2019
    Who will pay for the 100mills lost drone... China?

Lockheed Martin maybe another good stock to buy short term
  • edited June 2019
    johnN said:

Who will pay for the 100mills lost drone... China?
    Lockheed Martin maybe another good stock to buy short term

Are you serious? 100 mil is inconsequential in a 4.4 trillion dollar U.S. annual budget (2018).

But I suppose one could always declare a national emergency and strip the money from some other purpose for which Congress appropriated it.
  • edited June 2019
    @_hank my point exactly sir... Any reasons to send one billions dollar cash in a plane to Iran or send few billions dollars worth of smart bombs to them... The choice is their

• edited June 2019
    @johnN
    Knowing you, friends and family are all likely federal tax payers; tis you, them and a few million more folks who are paying for the drone and other, eh?

And what the heck does your "in other news" have to do with this thread???

Start another thread, if that is the topic you choose. Yes?
  • edited June 2019
    Old_Joe said:

sigh ...

Ditto ...
  • edited June 2019
    ..del
  • edited June 2019
    catch22 said:

@johnN
    Knowing you, friends and family are all likely federal tax payers; tis you, them and a few million more folks who are paying for the drone and other, eh?

And what the heck does your "in other news" have to do with this thread???

Start another thread, if that is the topic you choose. Yes?

Not sure that you need to be telling John to start another thread.

His comment was about Iran, though it looks like John did not complete his thought. Maybe his mentioning Obama's dealing with Iran is that Trump's predecessors have GROSSLY mismanaged our activities/relationships with Iran, and the Mid-East generally. Nothing that Trump has done, including the 180 on Iran (which I suspect was planned out from the beginning) is in anyway as damning as what those predecessors have done.

John mentioned Obama. Allow me to be non-/bi-partisan and mention Bush 43 & Iraq. If there was any justice The Bush crime cabal would be sitting in prison. And Bush 43's successor (Obama) should have been the one to set up the equivalent of a "Nuremburg Trial", or at least a "Truth and Justice" tribunal. Amazing the "free passes" the rulers of this country get away with. Of course, Senator Clinton voted "aye" for that war, so it must be embarrassing for all concerned among our bi-partisan aristrocracy...

But meanwhile, the Dems (or at least the TDS'ers) have suddenly become the "War Party" and want hostilities? All apparently for partisan purposes.

Starting a war based on lies is SOooo "old news", and cannot be used to criticize Trump. What can we criticize about Trump "today"... A day is just not worth living unless they engage in virtue-signalling their contempt for our President. Pathetic.

• edited June 2019
    Hi @Edmond, Thank you for your comments as they pretty much mirror my own thoughts about our President. I'm a member of the Democratic Party and I am truly saddened about the direction that Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumar have taken the Democratic Party under their leadership. It no longer has the same good fiber that it once had when Kennedy was President. I'm with President Trump ... Let's Make America Great Again ... build the wall ... and, in the process better secure our borders. We voted people in office to be of service to our Country no so much the party that they are affiliated with. Since, Kennedy it seems, to me, the elected Dems have been more about their party and themselves over the betterment of our Country.

Where is Senator Sam Ervin? Wish he and others like him were still around.
  • Hi @Edmond
    Warning label: I have something relative to bronchitis, fever, meds, tired of sleeping, feel like crap, should be doing work outside.......meditating to some benefit.
    However, @johnN edited/removed his additional comment to which you reference; apparently before you were able to read his comment.

The portion removed was as such:

--- In other news, THEN a link to one of these sites about Trump denying sexual harassment accusations from the 1990's. I've linked subject below, so you may pick and choose.
    ---sexual harassment charges denied

Yes, I had/have every right to ask the question and suggest If he wants to post the subject, to start his own thread; which has not happened.

Nap time here.
    Catch
  • Gimme a break skeet. Such nonsense.