Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Health Care Sector Has Many Angles

FYI: Health care has taken a beating this year, lagging the other sectors by significant margins.

That said, it remains a crucial component in an investor’s portfolio, and the choices to consider are vast, with many subsectors available, such as biotechnology and pharmaceuticals. However, looking at the large cap, broad-based, U.S.-focused funds, there are just nine to consider.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.etf.com/publications/etfr/health-care-sector-has-many-angles?nopaging=1

Comments

• health care etf maybe one of the top vehicles going forward 10-20 yrs from today especially in bio-micro-tech fields
  • which ones in particular are you looking at? i've been holding fbiox for a good while now and am still not back to even.
  • John said "health care etf maybe one of the top vehicles going forward 10-20 yrs from today especially in bio-micro-tech fields"

I believe that's been said quite regularly about the healthcare sector for the last 10-20 years if not longer. The sector ebbs and flows pretty much like any other.
  • edited June 2019
    Yes sirs.. Read several articles past few yrs Healthcare mostly outperformed Sp500 dji recently but for how long we don't know... Having healevolutions trend may contfor quite long time. I bought schwab Healthcare and owe vht along w mallinkof bonds
  • Per portfoliovisualizer, for the period Jan 2000 - May 2019, XLV has a CAGR of 6.99 vs.SPY's 5.22.

XLV had a beta of 0.77 vs SPY. XLV's biggest drawdown during this 20 year period was (35.5%) vs SPY's (50.8%)

So, XLV has modestly outperformed the market, with materially lower volatility.

Disclosure: I own a small position in FHLC (the Fido version of XLV), and also a position in IHF (healthcare provider ETF).