Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Help with Int'l/Global

I've been wanting to add to my Int'l allocation for a while and figured I'd ask for suggestions for the long haul. I've read the recent post citing MGGPX as a solid fund and wondering what are other MFO favs to consider. I try to keep it simple.
Thanks~
Starchild

Comments

• What international or global funds do you have? That way perhaps the recommendations could be better tuned to your portfolio. You do not want too much overlap among funds.
  • Investor said:

What international or global funds do you have? That way perhaps the recommendations could be better tuned to your portfolio. You do not want too much overlap among funds.

My portfolio only contains VTIAX (Vanguard Int'l Total Market), and at a small %, but I've not been exactly thrilled with its performance over the years I've had it, and considering active as a better strategy for foreign. Thanks again for your help.
  • Be advised that MGGPX is a world fund with a current allocation of roughly 55% US/ 45% foreign and cash. In my opinion this makes it incomparable to your current Int'l holding.

I am of the very small minority opinion that you don't need a dedicated foreign fund but I do own MGGPX and TIBIX.
  • Well, international markets have not been great in the last few years and those active funds that kept more money in cash did better than the index fund. Index funds area almost always 100% invested.

If you prefer a little less volatile fund take at FMIJX.
  • Mark said:

Be advised that MGGPX is a world fund with a current allocation of roughly 55% US/ 45% foreign and cash. In my opinion this makes it incomparable to your current Int'l holding.

I am of the very small minority opinion that you don't need a dedicated foreign fund but I do own MGGPX and TIBIX.

Thank you Mark and Investor. That's not so much a concern, more so having a solid fund with foreign exposure I can add to over time. Even something like VWIGX looks appealing, but I'm still testing the waters.

MGGPX, at least to my limited knowledge, would not be a core piece, but an add on with potential upside. My concern with the fund, unless others differ, is that buying now feels like chasing past performance, and paying the fees to do so. Also, with such a small basket of stocks, it runs the risk of an easy plummet.
  • For international I stick with FMIJX as a good risk-adverse way to go. I have 2 global funds, one that fits my risk tolerance, SGENX, and another global to cover small caps, GPGOX FWIW.
  • I really ARTJX for small mid cap international exposure. Check out the new managers record when he was at OSMAX.
  • TBGVX PRIDX MAPIX PRIJX PRGSX
  • MikeW said:

I really ARTJX for small mid cap international exposure. Check out the new managers record when he was at OSMAX.

Thanks again! My reservation on buying small/mid foreign companies is that I'm investing in something I don't understand. I've never heard of any of these companies, nor know what they do. But, I guess I'm relying on managers to do that for me.
  • Unfortunately, PRIDX is closed to new investors.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/313212/000031321218000042/idfpta-march11.htm

Purchase and Sale of Fund Shares

Effective at the close of the New York Stock Exchange on Monday, April 2, 2018, the fund will be closed to new investors and new accounts, subject to certain exceptions. Investors who already hold shares of the fund at the close of business on Monday, April 2, 2018, will be permitted to continue to purchase additional shares.

• edited February 2019
    @Starchild: FWIW.

Since, the S&P 500 Index now derives better than 40% of it's earnings outside the US I use mostly global funds to gain additional foreign exposure. Please know that it has not always been this way since I became an investor some fifty years ago. So, to gain additional foreign exposure, years back, I used some global funds to offer me more foreign exposure. And, I still do today. My thinking, today, is to still use global funds which allows the fund manager to be somewhat adaptive to the markets by leaning towards which are felt to be the better performers between domestic or foreign holdings while still holding some of each.

In the growth and income area of my portfolio my global equity sleeve consist of: CWGIX, DEQAX, DWGAX and EADIX. All of these funds pay good dividends.

In the growth area of my portfolio my global growth sleeve consist of: ANWPX, NEWFX and SMCWX.

Then there are global allocation funds that can also provide both domestic and foreign exposure. I own a good number of hybrid type funds. Three of them found in the growth & income area of my portfolio in the global hybrid sleeve are CAIBX, TEQIX and TIBAX. All of these funds pay good dividends.

Most of the above funds I have owned for better than ten years with some more than twenty five.

Best of luck in your seach for an international or global fund that finds your fancy.
  • Old_Skeet said:

@Starchild: FWIW.

Since, the S&P 500 Index now derives better than 40% of it's earnings outside the US I use mostly global funds to gain additional foreign exposure. Please know that it has not always been this way since I became an investor some fifty years ago. So, to gain additional foreign exposure, years back, I used some global funds to offer me more foreign exposure. And, I still do today.

In the growth and income area of my portfolio my global equity sleeve consist of: CWGIX, DEQAX, DWGAX and EADIX. All of these funds pay good dividends.

In the growth area of my portfolio my global growth sleeve consist of: ANWPX, NEWFX and SMCWX.

Then there are global allocation funds that can also provide both domestic and foreign exposure. I own a good number of hybrid type funds. Three of them found in the growth & income area of my portfolio in the global hybrid sleeve are CAIBX, TEQIX and TIBAX. All of these funds pay good dividends.

My thinking, today, is still to use global funds which allows the fund manager to be somewhat adaptive to the markets by leaning towards which are felt to be the better performers between domestic or foreign holdings while still holding some of each.

Most of the above funds I have owned for better than ten years with some more than twenty five.

Best of luck in your seach for an international or global fund that finds your fancy.

This is a big help @Old_Skeet, thanks for taking the time to help a newer investor. I don't really have the means to invest in so many offerings, but hoping to establish some type of fund or two that will act as a solid core with foreign exposure I can put money into when I can, at least for now. I will look into these suggestions. So far, I've been leaning towards VWIGX, Vangurd's int'l growth fund, that's been around a long time and seemingly consistent, with a good mix US/Foreign. Are any of these, or something else in line with this strategy? Or is the Vanguard a solid one for this in your mind?
  • edited February 2019
    @Starchild: I have provided a link to Dr. Tom Madel's mutual fund newsletter. You can review current and past newsletters once you open the link. I'm sure, being a new investor, there is a weath of information contained in these newsletter from asset allocation models and recommended fund selections that will be of some benefit.

http://funds-newsletter.com

You might wish to give a shout out to @JoJo26 as she seems to be of the new school spirited type investor for her thoughts. In addition, perhaps @tmadell might have a thought or two for you. I'm of the old school type and invest the traditional way via broker and financial advisor.

I wish you the very best in the coming years with your investing endeavors.

Old_Skeet
  • Old_Skeet said:

@Starchild: I have provided a link to Dr. Tom Madel's mutual fund newsletter. You can review current and past newsletters once you open the link. I'm sure, being a new investor, there is a weath of information contained in these newsletter from asset allocation models and recommended fund selections that will be of some benefit.

You might wish to give a shout out to @JoJo26 as she seems to be of the new school spirited type investor for her thoughts. In addition, perhaps @tmadell might have a thought or two for you. I'm of the old school type and invest the traditional way via broker and financial advisor.

I wish you the very best in the coming years with your investing endeavors.

Old_Skeet

Thanks Skeet! Much appreciated.
  • Can’t argue with VWIGX, but I also like FMIJX. plot it against OAKIX on Morningstar and you’ll see it’s a fairly smooth ride (so far). it’s currency hedged if that’s a factor for you.
  • It's very hard to argue against FMIJX, but I've usually planted a foot in the door of closing funds in case they continued to out-perform. This has not been markedly successful, but it's more due to my lack of attention (or additional funds to invest) than to underperformance. If you can afford to meet the PRIDX minimum (and it's not a hard close), consider doing so and investing in FMIJX (which has its top 5 holdings located in Britain or Japan [1], so Brexit may have an impact) next. While I am a Vanguard enthusiast for the ERs, VWIGX will always be open (and it is is 5* on M*, while the others or one rank lower), and the ER will almost always be lower.
    The other funds I was going to suggest are closed, but keep an eye open for JOHAX, if it reopens. SFVLX is open, small and from a good company, with a reasonable ER, despite an initially unimpressive performance.
    Consider putting a fragment of your funds at some point (or at multiple points) in an emerging markets ETF, such as the 4* IEMG, since it's likely that these companies (those who survive) will be the dominant foreign companies in your old age.
  • edited February 2019
    @Starchild: It's me again. I pulled Dr. Madell's recommended funds form his recent newsletter. They are listed below for your review. It looks like VWIGX is his recommended international choice. You might wish to look at TBGVX as it is also on his short list. And, VTMGX looks interesting as well.

My Recommended Stock Funds:

-Vanguard Extended Market Idx (VEXMX)

-Vanguard Small Cap Growth Idx (VISGX)

-Vanguard 500 Index (VFINX)

-Vanguard Equity Income (VEIPX)

-Vanguard Windsor II (VWNFX)

-Vanguard Energy (VGENX)

-Vanguard Growth Idx (VIGRX)

-Vanguard Pacific Index (VPACX)

-Vanguard International Growth (VWIGX)

-Vanguard Europe Idx (VEURX)

-Vanguard Emerging Markets Idx (VEIEX)

-Tweedy, Browne Global Value (TBGVX)

-Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Idx Inv (VTSMX)

-Vanguard Developed Markets Idx Adm (VTMGX)

My Recommended Bond Funds:

-Vanguard California Interm-Term Tax-Exempt (VCAIX)

-PIMCO Total Return Instl (PTTRX)

-Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (VBMFX)

-Vanguard High Yield (VWEHX)

-Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade (VFSTX)

-PIMCO International Bond Adm (PFRAX)

-Vanguard Total International Bond Index (VTIBX)

Some Tips Form Skeet

You might wish to visit how much risk you have within your portfolio. I have seen, through the years, some of my buddies taking on too much risk in an attemp to meet targeted returns. Have you done a risk assessment of your portfolio? And, is it set to your tolerance? If in doubt then you might wish to do a risk profile on yourself. I have linked one below just in case it might interest you.

https://www.calcxml.com/do/inv08

In doing a look back into Dr. Madell's October 2018 newsletter below are his published model asset allocations.

Overall Allocations to Stocks, Bonds, and Cash

Recommended For Moderate Risk Investors
    Asset Current (Last Qtr.)
    Stocks 57% (57%)
    Bonds 24 (25)
    Cash 19 (18)

Recommended For Aggressive Risk Investors
    Stocks 73% (73%)
    Bonds 14 (14)
    Cash 13 (13)

Recommended For Conservative Risk Investors
    Stocks 20% (20%)
    Bonds 35 (35)
    Cash 45 (45)

While my asset allocation of 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity might not be right for you it is what I have recently moved to being 70+ years in age and retired. This asset allocation affords me enough cash reserves should I need a cash infusion, enough income generation from my income area along with enough growth from my equity area to grow my principal over time. Generally, I take no more than one half (in dollars) of what my five year annual average returns have been. In this way principal grows over time. And, as my principal grows so do my distributions.

In addition, I'd do an Instant Xray of my portfolio before I add new positions and then with the proposed changes to make sure the changes reflect the way I want to head.

Morningstar's Instant Xray tool is linked below. In addition to looking at your portfolio as a whole you might wish to look at each fund in Xray to see how it is compiled. This should help in making better fit choices.

https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio.html?requestUrl=/RtPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?dt=0.7055475

Again, I wish you good investing in the years to come.

Old_Skeet

• thx everyone..good postings..lots info to digest
    had janus overseas few yrs back jaosx but got rid of it underperform/took a good loss. now buying DCA into ETFs: EEM & VWO.
  • Old_Skeet said:

@Starchild: It's me again. I pulled Dr. Madell's recommended funds form his recent newsletter. They are listed below for your review. It looks like VWIGX is his recommended international choice. You might wish to look at TBGVX as it is also on his short list. And, VTMGX looks interesting as well.

-Vanguard Energy (VGENX)

Some Tips Form Skeet

You might wish to visit how much risk you have within your portfolio. I have seen, through the years, some of my buddies taking on too much risk in an attemp to meet targeted returns. Have you done a risk assessment of your portfolio? And, is it set to your tolerance? If in doubt then you might wish to do a risk profile on yourself. I have linked one below just in case it might interest you.

In doing a look back into Dr. Madell's October 2018 newsletter below are his published model asset allocations.

Stocks 57% (57%)
    Bonds 24 (25)
    Cash 19 (18)

Stocks 73% (73%)
    Bonds 14 (14)
    Cash 13 (13)

Stocks 20% (20%)
    Bonds 35 (35)
    Cash 45 (45)

While my asset allocation of 20% cash, 40% income and 40% equity might not be right for you it is what I have recently moved to being 70+ years in age and retired. This asset allocation affords me enough cash reserves should I need a cash infusion, enough income generation from my income area along with enough growth from my equity area to grow my principal over time. Generally, I take no more than one half (in dollars) of what my five year annual average returns have been. In this way principal grows over time. And, as my principal grows so do my distributions.

In addition, I'd do an Instant Xray of my portfolio before I add new positions and then with the proposed changes to make sure the changes reflect the way I want to head.

Morningstar's Instant Xray tool is linked below. In addition to looking at your portfolio as a whole you might wish to look at each fund in Xray to see how it is compiled. This should help in making better fit choices.

https://www.morningstar.com/portfolio.html?requestUrl=/RtPort/Free/InstantXRayDEntry.aspx?dt=0.7055475

Old_Skeet

Old_Skeet said:

-Vanguard Energy (VGENX)

Some Tips Form Skeet

Stocks 57% (57%)
    Bonds 24 (25)
    Cash 19 (18)

Stocks 73% (73%)
    Bonds 14 (14)
    Cash 13 (13)

Stocks 20% (20%)
    Bonds 35 (35)
    Cash 45 (45)

Old_Skeet

Wow! Over the top help @ old_skeet. I really appreciate it and will take it all in.

• edited February 2019
    Thanks @Old_Skeet,,

I fell in love with pie-charts some 25 years ago after I deep-sixed my fee-based “advisor” and started wondering how to diversify a portfolio. It’s an easy way to visualize the proportion allocated to different sectors and to make quick modifications if needed. (Might also be a “right brain” / “left brain” issue.:) ) Dr. Mandell’s recommendations, while not presented in pie-chart form, easily lend themselves to one. No doubt there are apps that could easily display them that way.

I’m astounded at how conservatively he positions a “conservative” investor. 45% cash? Yikes! But it’s not for me to say. Something in me wonders if that represents perhaps a “cautious” outlook for stocks?

I’m glad @Starchild felt enlightened by all the suggestions. I didn’t weigh in. The universe of high quality International / Global funds is just too wide for me to be comfortable suggesting one. Success relative to peers is often based on where in the world they chose to position the fund and how different economies performed over shorter periods.

• edited February 2019
    @hank: I pulled the model portfolio asset allocations from Dr. Madell's October 2018 newsletter. Here is the link to the October edition in case you would like to read more about the models. He goes into some detail including how much of each fund to hold.

http://funds-newsletter.com/oct18-newsletter/oct18_new.htm

• What do you think of stock percentage in the conservative portfolio ? Seem to me to be a little low.

Derf

• edited March 2019
    Hi @Derf:

Perhaps, @tmadell, Dr. Madell will address his asset allocations in an upcoming newsletter. I believe he wrote about this sometime ago ... but, I just can't remember when. I'm if you were to troll back through his newsletters you would find more on the subject. Should you find something of interest please share.

Here is a link to the newsletter. You can also sign up to receive the newsletter through this link.

• A little housekeeping:

Skeet mentioned a number of Vanguard funds using investor class tickers. These are now closed to retail investors; look for the admiral class shares. For example, instead of VIGRX, use VIGAX.

@STB65 writes that PRIDX suggests that one can still get in if one can meet the min. I don't know how (with the usual exceptions of grandfathered 401k plans and the like). It is closed to new investors even going directly through TRP (as of April 2, 2018):

https://www3.troweprice.com/fb2/fbkweb/snapshot.do?ticker=PRIDX
    (See also Shadow's post above.)

That is indeed a soft close (since existing investors can add money), but for new investors it might as well be a hard close.

I'm wondering about the statement that "VWIGX will always be open." It's not as though Vanguard doesn't close funds. See VDIGX. Unlike, say, the Primecap run funds, VDIGX is closed even to Flagship customers. Why couldn't VWIGX likewise be closed in the future?

It's true that Vanguard often adds more subadvisors to increase capacity of its funds rather than close them. By that thinking though, VWIGX should be even more likely to close, since Vanguard dropped the number of subadvisors for the fund from three to two in mid 2016.

Regarding using global funds to let managers put money where it can be used best: I like the idea of letting mangers do what I'm paying them to do, i.e. manage. But ISTM that global funds generally (a) have a big hometown bias (50%+ in US) and (b) keep their US/foreign ratios fairly steady. There may be exceptions of course, which means digging through older annual statements to see if they actually do move assets in and out of the US.

Where I think the "delegate to manager" may work better with foreign funds is in deciding which foreign countries to invest in. That is why I prefer broad based foreign funds. Also, a few of these funds more than dabble in EM, so there are some funds that can be used to truly span the globe. Notably, VWIGX has nearly 1/4 of assets in EM.
  • The IVA funds are worth checking out. They have grown quite large and are conservative, but they are pretty good stewards of your money.
  • Old_Skeet said:

Hi @Derf:

Perhaps, @tmadell, Dr. Madell will address his asset allocations in an upcoming newsletter. I believe he wrote about this sometime ago ... but, I just can't remember when. I'm if you were to troll back through his newsletters you would find more on the subject. Should you find something of interest please share.

Here is a link to the newsletter. You can also sign up to receive the newsletter through this link.

My newsletter arrived yesterday. Thanks @old_skeet and everyone else. I've decided to dump VTIAX and stick with the funds I already have: VWIGX, OAKIX, and APHKX. I'll probably roll the dice on MGGPX based on @Ted and the board's recommendation.:-)