Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

MFAIX -- anyone kicked the tires?

Was curious if anyone had done some due diligence on this fund. I've been running the numbers on MFO Premium and its risk adjusted performance is impressive over the 1, 3, and 5 year time frames. Also held up well in the October-December selloff. It looks like a winner to me. Top performer in International Growth category and available for no load at Schwab. Looking to add this fund as well as ARTJX as my new international holdings.

Comments

• @MikeW What do you like about ARTJX? Why not consider GPIOX or GISOX instead?
  • MikeW: Checked buy at Schwab, 5 million $ !!!
    Derf
  • I have kicked the tires in the NTF version, MFAPX. I think Kristian Heugh is a great manager and I have a sizeable position in his global growth fund, MGGPX. I could not see the point of holding both of his funds, especially since MGGPX has a superior record. Another fund he manages, MSAUX, Asia Opportunity, does not appear to be available no-load for investors of my ilk.
  • @BenWP
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes MGGPX is an outstanding fund with even longer track record. Im also considering that one although I have little international expsure right now and am trying to address that gap in portfolio. One nice aspect to a global fund is they make the decision on where they see greatest opportunity. MGGPX also gives you some nice EM exposure. Risk is a bit higher. Great fund.
  • Hi @Investor,
    The reason Im looking at ARTJX is they recently had a manager change and the new manager-- Rezo Kanovich has an outstanding record of outperformance vs peers at OSMAX. Really interesting foreign fund focused on the small mid cap space. The one thing I still need to check is whether all the turnover in holdings was accomplished last year. They did have a sizeable cap gain last year. I like his bottom up approach.
  • So Mark Yockey is no longer the fund manager... He used to be pretty good manager until the drawdowns in 2000 and 2008. Also notice the ER has reduced to 1.38%, a bit lower than the previous 1.5%. International smaller caps had a hard time in 2018. OSMAX did better than most peers in that category if that is an indication of risk.
  • edited February 2019
    MikeW said:

@BenWP
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes MGGPX is an outstanding fund with even longer track record. Im also considering that one although I have little international expsure right now and am trying to address that gap in portfolio. One nice aspect to a global fund is they make the decision on where they see greatest opportunity. MGGPX also gives you some nice EM exposure. Risk is a bit higher. Great fund.

@MikeW: keep in mind that many of your holdings derive a portion of their revenue from overseas. Point being, you probably have more international exposure already. It won't show in a morningstar xray. The US is the largest addressable market but US companies, in many ways, depend on a global marketplace. Think of JP Morgan, Coke, Pepsi, etc. Listed as US based companies but definitely global in nature.
  • I could've listed Facebook, Google, Apple as well. You get the point. :-)
  • @MFO Members: The Linkster highly recommends MFAIX and it's fund manager Kristian Heugh.. Before I left the market I owned MSOPX.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • @MikeW: I have been adding to ARTJX, which I bought after I sold OSMAX which I had for 5 years. I like Kanovich too, I think that much of the old portfolio has been sold if you can judge by the return ytd, my highest international performer so far this year.
  • @slick. Congrats! I just came on this fund recently from Charles MFO webinar with Brad Ferguson. How many months are you going to take to fully build your position? Im assuming your DCAing per month? Trying to figure out my planned timing for purchases. Im using proceeds from the sale of HAINX back in December. Thx
  • @Ted. Thanks for the feedback. Yes MSOPX has a higher % dedicated to EM. A bit higher risk because of that but a good way to get exposure to EM. I'm still debating which of Kristian's funds to buy. Global or one of the internationals. All good performers. mfaix appears as lowest risk.
  • @Mikew. I started the position beginning of January, and have been waiting for a dip, but haven't gotten one. Every time i decide to dca into a fund it goes up and keeps going lol. I also started a position in MGGPX, same thing. I sold IWIRX to fund it. One ira I fully funded it, the other ira I am dcaing. There was a recent article which stated you are better off taking a deep breath and funding it all at once, but i was always a fan of dcaing, but recently not as much. With so much volatility, you have to be patient when doing it, since like in ARTJX, it has gone up 8% since I opened it, and still waiting for a dip
  • @slick: I also sold IWIRX when it seemed to have flamed out. Things have gotten worse, a surprise given the fund’s previous performance. I’m happy in MGGPX.
  • @slick. Yeah frustrating waiting for those dips huh! If you have a link to that article I'd be interested in seeing it. So many different views on how to DCA.
  • Cool @slick. Thanks for sharing.
  • MikeW said:

I'm still debating which of Kristian's funds to buy. Global or one of the internationals. All good performers.

In case it matters, global funds rarely pass through foreign tax credits, while international funds do so a fair amount of the time.

In 2018, International Advantage did pass through the credit (7/8 of the fund's income was foreign-sourced), while Global Opportunity did not.

More curious is that virtually none of the dividends from Global Opportunity were qualified (just 0.61%), while virtually all of Int'l Advantage's were qualified (91.06%). I don't know if that was an anomaly or part of a pattern.

2018 Morgan Stanley tax guide:
    https://www.morganstanley.com/im/publication/forms/tax/2018-tax-guide.pdf
  • @msf thanks for researching this. I have to admit that I'm really not up to speed on how foreign tax credits affect taxes that we pay on the funds. How big an impact would this have on global vs. international fund? Over the past 3 years, global has outperformed international by about 2 points on average annually.
  • Honestly, I think the issue is overrated. But it was on my mind since there was a link to a M* article about how foreign funds might better be left in taxable accounts since there you could take advantage of the foreign tax credit.
    https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/47736/m-should-you-keep-foreign-stocks-out-of-your-ira

A point that column missed was that the same argument could be applied to investing in separate domestic and foreign funds (where you'd get the foreign tax credit) vs. investing in a global fund where you wouldn't.

Here's a simple example to show what happens when the foreign tax is or isn't passed through:

Say your shares generate $150 in dividends. Say also that the fund owes foreign governments $50 in taxes. It has to pay the $50, leaving $100 in hard cash that it actually pays to you.

The fund could say on your 1099 that you got $100 in divs. No foreign tax credit. The fund simply paid those taxes as an operating expense and paid you what was left.

Alternatively, it could say on your 1099 that it distributed $150 in divs to you and paid the $50 in your name. You would owe taxes on that extra $50 that you only got on paper. Say that extra tax is $7.50 (15% x $50 in qual divs). Now the IRS will give you credit for the $50 "you" paid in foreign taxes (on paper). You would have a net gain of $50 (tax credit) minus $7.50 (extra tax) = $42.50.

It's really hard to tell how much that foreign credit is worth. The size of the credit can fluctuate wildly from year to year. My sense is that it's big enough to rise above the noise level, but it's still just a small factor to consider, not a game changer.

• @msf very interesting. Thanks very much for the detailed explanation.. something I know little about.
  • "something I know little about."

And rightly so.:-) Really arcane stuff.
  • I might add a cliché. Don’t let taxes wag the dog (or some other mixed metaphor of your choice). I have never found foreign taxes to be a big deal when I prepare my tax return. TurboTax seems to take care of things just fine.
  • Thanks @BenWP and @msf . Can i ask what % of your equity allocation is in international?
  • edited February 2019
    Any etf(s) comparable to mfaix available?!

Thx..

https://etfdb.com/etfdb-category/emerging-markets-equities/

• Not that im aware of... pretty unique portfolio which is why i like it
  • edited February 2019
    @mikew - I will pass.. Don't have 5M lol.. Will make it Simple will add brk.b and some bonds instead
    Probably add more to EEM
  • I've about 1/3 of equity invested abroad.

For those who hold that markets are efficient (you can't beat the market), I've got too little in foreign stock, which represents only 57% of the world equity market.

For those who hold that multinational companies are all the same regardless of where based, I've got too much overseas.

I'm currently taking a course in comparative political economy. Our reading for this week, An Introduction to Varieties of Capitalism presents significantly different models of capitalism based on the interplay between national politics and the ways companies in different countries cooperate/compete/operate.

While it concedes that there is some movement toward convergence under globalization, it argues that there is still significant variation from country to country. The implication for our purposes is that multinationals are not all the same.

So, splitting the difference (with justification) between 0% and 57%. 1/3 seems like a reasonable allocation.
  • @msf thanks for sharing that. I'm aiming for about 20% international myself which could be too low. I also have significant positions in microsoft and american express on the multinational side. But all my new buys are in funds.