Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mr. Real Estate Fund guy wants to know.......

edited April 2012 in Fund Discussions
Late Morn'in Coffee,

'Course, the Mr. Real Estate Fund guy, is me.
I find from time to time, either asking outloud or silently to myself, about whether to drift a bit more money into the real estate sector. We currently hold a "shy" real estate fund, FRIFX; which is an equity/bond mix. When compared to other real estate funds, this one is quite conservative; although still subject to market whacks.
To the other side of this fence is the consideration of adding PETDX, which is a whole different critter, in this sector. In one non-Fidelity acct., we also have access to CSRSX; a more traditional real estate equity fund.
As usual, there are more than enough "things" to observe, but I find the real estate funds to continue to slowly march upward. Yes, these are subject to equity market moods in general; and they are not outstanding performers related to some other equity sectors that receive all of the headlines; but are performing well at this time.
A possible better performing real estate niche may be an etf or active managed fund with over-exposure to the rental side of things. I have not checked into this particular area niche fund.
I suppose the question need not be asked if you currently hold real estate funds and are pleased; but I am curious if anyone is considering moving monies into or out of these funds.
I ask about this investment sector in spite of the "reality bites" potential that still exists in the financial world.
Your thoughts about this area would be appreciated.

Take care,
Catch

Comments

• edited April 2012
    PETDX is definitely a more aggressive and different play, and not really one that I would suggest for an older/retired/more conservative investor. I'd rather suggest more to FRIFX. I do own a small starting position in the new Cohen/Steers multi-manager Real Asset fund, which is part RE, part Nat Resources and part actively managed commodity fund.

• edited April 2012
    Scott, please forgive my curiosity, but I am constantly impressed by the balance and breadth of your financial knowledge. Are you perhaps, like BobC, a professional in this area?
  • Hi scott,
    Yes, I agree. But, our house is not beyond hanging monies out here and there; while still maintaining a balance towards more captial preservation areas (whatever those may be in the years ahead...) To this, as we have discussed, there may be a point in time within the next 10 years when some bond types will not be preservers of capital.
    Thanks for your thoughts.
    Catch
  • TedTed
    edited April 2012
    Catch22222222222222222222222222: Be a man, put a little hair on your chest, and wrap yourself around Ken Heebner CGM Realty Fund. I'm sorry, I forgot, too risky for Mr. Fund Boat & Mr. Real Estate Fund.
  • edited April 2012
    Howdy Ted,

Presuming your investment portfolio continues to provide your house with excellent returns; your credibility and demeanor here at MFO continues to have diminishing returns.

E.O.M. (End of message)

Take care of you and yours,

Catch
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Thank you so much. Definitely not a professional, just a young(ish?) person eager to learn and who is constantly researching, trying, learning - trying to find companies I find interesting globally, looking at new funds, etc. I own funds, stocks (which generally fall into themes and are largely overseas) and ETFs.

I have all the respect in the world for people like Bob C. I think it's going to be more and more difficult to do what he does over the next 5-10 years. I'm definitely not a professional, just someone who enjoys the research and is constantly trying to learn.
  • Boy, could have fooled me! You may be busy learning, but this old dog is also learning a few new tricks by looking over your shoulder. Thanks for all of your input for these many years.

Best regards- OJ
  • Reply to @Old_Joe: Thanks! I think for me it's a matter of trying different paths, looking globally and going with themes that I think will do well over the longer term (EM, real assets including things like Brookfield Infrastructure and even something smaller like probiotics/enzymes.) Recommendations I make on the board tend to be more conservative, because as I've noted I think what's right for me and what I'm trying is not going to be right for someone at/near retirement (and that's okay, and I certainly have things that I like to suggest that are more conservative.)
  • edited April 2012
    In a previous post Catch asked you, quite nicely, if he had inadvertently displeased you. As usual, you failed to have the courtesy to answer. I suggest that you "be a man, put a little hair on your chest", and discuss with Catch whatever seems to be bothering you.

Your recent episodes of personal invective are singularly misplaced here on MFO.
  • Reply to @Ted: I agree with Old-Joe. Ted, this bullying makes you appear very insecure and unpleasant. If you don't like Catch's style or opinions, why do you open his posts? I don't get it.
  • circa33
    Ted,maybe the fund boat is just right for an older investor who is risk adverse
    at age 78&75 .Our Roth Ira is doing just fine with less risk. Thanks again
    to Catch22 and others who have more positive opinions.
    regards to all
    circa33