Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The Money Honey: Maria Bartiromo Was a Generational Icon for Financial Television. What Happened?

FYI: Over at the Fox Business Network, believe it or not, there seems to be considerable schizophrenia when it comes to President Donald Trump.

There are the Lost Causes, such as Lou Dobbs, Stuart Varney, and Trish Regan, who are so pro-Trump on a daily basis that it’s hard to tell where the White House ends and their television studios on Sixth Avenue begin.

There are also those, such as Neil Cavuto, Liz Claman, and Charlie Gasparino, who do their best to steer clear of the president of the United States, and just try to report — wait for it — the business news of the day.

And then there is Maria Bartiromo.

In an era that seems to prefer affirmation over information, she may be in a class by herself. The Brooklyn-born-and-raised Bartiromo, who once dominated the lane reporting on the vicissitudes of the stock market, has been busy lately transforming herself into a Trump acolyte. People have noticed. “Is this a piece on how she’s totally changed?” asks one FBN devotee. “How she went from being the ‘Money Honey’ focused on business to crazy-slash-drinking-the-Trump-Kool-Aid?”
Regards,
Ted
https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1cq2nzw56k40k/Maria-Bartiromo-Was-a-Generational-Icon-for-Financial-Television-What-Happened

Comments

• Howdy Doc,

I still say she looks like a bloody lemur.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono

• She's only in it for the money, fame, and popularity now, I bet.

• How unusual!
  • An interesting story, Ted. Thanks for showing it here. I used to watch Maria when she was on CNBC and remember when she jumped to FBN. But I never was interested in fBN, so I haven't seen her since. Glad Maria is bringing in the bucks for herself.

I mostly listen to Bloomberg Radio when I'm around the house on my Google Home empire. I watch cnbc nearly every day, but not that much.

Dave
  • edited January 2019
    trump is the best thing for Americans since peanut butter on bread...lol...
    best ratings for TV news/obsessed since they have nothing else to talk about except trump
  • rono said:

I still say she looks like a bloody lemur.

My SO has, for many years, called her "racoon lady", so I see your point.:-)

• edited January 2019
    Jeanine, sorry about the bug-eyes thing. I'll be in my office.
  • edited January 2019
    Lots of reasons here to tune out the money honey, raccoon lady, bloody lemur or whatever. Bloomberg’s Vonnie Quinn has more brains than Bartiromo and also plays a pretty mean fiddle.

• edited January 2019
    Here's my jaundiced take. In the early days of CNBC, before the dot-com crash, Maria was the only "babe" gracing the small screen. These days, there are many very attractive and very competent women competing for our attention. FWIIW, none of the women on Fox or FBN qualify as attractive, in my book. I do have my favorites on CNBC and MSNBC, a predilection for which I make no apology.
  • edited January 2019
    delete
  • Can we maybe get away from personal appearance, at least with women?
  • So it's okay to talk about the orangutan but not the racoon? (I hear you can get sued for the former.)
  • hank said:

Lots of reasons here to tune out the money honey, raccoon lady, bloody lemur or whatever. Bloomberg’s Vonnie Quinn has more brains than Bartiromo and also plays a pretty mean fiddle.

Whoa. That's really terrific. I don't have tv service anymore, but I suppose if I went looking, I could find clips with V. Quinn on Bloomberg.com. My people are from the southwest of Ireland, and I'm GUESSING that Quinn is from around Dublin. Even I used to have a hard time cutting through the brogue in order to understand her during live broadcasts.

• edited January 2019
    @Crash. Dunno about Bloomberg (doubtful). If interested, just google her name + “fiddle” + “Utube”. There are several clips quite easy to come by. I came across this interesting aspect of Quinn by accident while looking up her biographical info - as I often do with journalists.
  • Drole. The title of the song is cut off at the top of the screen to read, "The Devil Went Down to GE." He took the stock price way further south than that.