Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

So Long Its Been Good To Know You

FYI: As of this morning the Linkster is completely out of the market except for a Hertz Bond, and PONCX.
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• Interesting move for a guy who thinks the S&P will be at 3000 by years end. However there is nothing wrong with preserving capital or perhaps sanity in uncertain times.
  • @Mark: Still believe the market will hit 3000 by year end, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I done very well over the years, and can now completely relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor.
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • Damn, Ted! I must say, "congratulations."
  • Ted, You can’t get “the markets” out of your system. I’ll give you 3 months at most before you’re back in - probably buying back in at lower prices than today.:)

Best wishes
  • @Ted: I was thinking along those lines when I read your post and honestly if I didn't need the income I'd be right there with you. Normally I am near 100% in the breach but over the past few years I have added bond funds and this year I have actually been accumulating cash as I've sold off my more risky assets. Fair seas old friend.
  • The QQQ and international tech heavy stuff really took a beating over the past few months, that's for sure. I have another 10-15 years before I bail out myself. In 2019, I'm definitely dialing down my equity exposure.
  • If 10-15y, why dial down at all?
  • If 10-15y, why dial down at all?

Just wasn't comfortable with my equity exposure in certain sectors - too aggressive for my own good. Sometimes, these corrections can be educational:-)

• @Ted: from what you've said previously about the small number of funds you held, selling must have been fairly uncomplicated. I congratulate you! Do you think the collapse in soybean prices led to our Aldi-brand soy milk dropping from $2.19, to 1.99, and then to 1.69 per half gallon?

@willmatt72: my international tech hurt me also, but I'm hanging on to BCSVX, MFAPX, and MGGPX. Chinese tech will have to recover for the 2 latter funds to reverse course. Also sticking with Grandeur Peak, but got rid of pure/heavy EM funds some time ago.
  • @BenWP: Yes, I own MIOPX and it was treading water for awhile. Same with VYMI, which was disappointing as it is more of an international large value play. It really didn't hold up as well as I had anticipated. I'll hang on unless I need to take some losses against gains.
  • @willmatt72

>> wasn't comfortable with my equity exposure in certain sectors

So not dialing down but shifting to other equity areas?
    Or selling equity holdings altogether and going to cash or bonds or RE?
    It is the latter that I would suggest is senseless w/ a long horizon.
  • @davidmoran: Haven't settled on a complete strategy yet, but selling some tech-heavy and EM stuff when it comes back a bit. I'm not really comfortable with the rollercoaster ride anymore. It's always great on the way up, but...... I'll be concentrating on adding to a balanced fund that I own, such as VTMFX and more large cap value/dividend stuff, such as WSHFX or SCHD. As I said, I haven't settled on anything yet, but looking at the options.
  • Sorry to be dense or seem argumentative, but what rollercoaster ride with a horizon like that? Just buy and hold and don't watch. Yes to SCHD, always, or its competitors.
    I would never turn to balanced unless sleep-at-night is a chief driver.
  • Man ... Sentiment on this board seems to have turned on a dime.
  • It's fine. I understand your point. I guess I'm willing to give up some gains over the long term and sleep well at night. It's not easy to tell an investor - "Don't watch." Easier said than done for some of us.
  • "Still believe the market will hit 3000 by year end, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I done very well over the years, and can now completely relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor."

I find this remarkable because "enough" is such an elusive target for most of humanity; "enough" is always in perpetual motion. Even people surrounded by abundance seem to have a "shortage" outlook on things. Including me: I'm not sure I'll recognize "enough" until and unless I take my last breath and I'm still in the black. A tip of the hat to someone who feels he has achieved it.
  • @willmatt72

>> willing to give up some gains over the long term and sleep well at night.

Sure, if holding some bonds somehow for 10-15y gives better mental health than simply being in VT or VT plus, say, some US-oriented tweaks (SCHD etc), go for it. Can't imagine VT would be either fun or anxious to watch, but I never done it.
  • Man ... Sentiment on this board seems to have turned on a dime.
    That is for sure. On the other hand, I think there are more downside to come as the G20 summit promises start to unfold in a bad way.
  • edited December 2018
    great timing imho...it may crash DOWS down another 30%+ and someone maybe laughing their way to the bank 6 months later lol
  • That is if one does not bail near the bottom (to lock in the loss) or to have a large cash position (like Warren Buffett) and he goes shopping when everyone else bailed.

The G20 summit left out lots of details on the tariff agreement between US and China, that make me to wonder why if there results are so great.