Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Finding fund AUM over time?

Is there any way to track / monitor an individual fund's AUM flows over time? The only data that's easily available is current-year/quarter AUM. Specifically, I'm wondering what PRGTX's AUM has looked like over the past few years. Thx in advance

Comments

• In Morningstar premium which I get free from our local library, in the fund page you are looking at, click on the Performance tab and the last 5-10 yrs of AUM will be listed low on the page. This will not show up in the free site. Hope this helps.

• Thanks fundly. I let my M*Premium lapse last year given the ongoing issues there, but I know where I can find that data now. Thanks!
    fundly said:

In Morningstar premium which I get free from our local library, in the fund page you are looking at, click on the Performance tab and the last 5-10 yrs of AUM will be listed low on the page. This will not show up in the free site. Hope this helps.

• You may be able to access it free anywhere via the internet through your local library as I do. Here are the numbers if you are not able. All in millions. PRGTX AUM
    2008-92
    09-255
    10-381
    11-500
    12-697
    13-984
    14-1626
    15-2718
    16-3153
    17-5910
    18YTD-4202

• Thanks -- I was going to check my local library tomorrow. I appreciate the info!
    fundly said:

You may be able to access it free anywhere via the internet through your local library as I do. Here are the numbers if you are not able. All in millions. PRGTX AUM
    2008-92
    09-255
    10-381
    11-500
    12-697
    13-984
    14-1626
    15-2718
    16-3153
    17-5910
    18YTD-4202

• This is timely because I just happened to turn on CNBC when a former manager-of-the-year was getting undeserved air time. David Rolfe, whose principal claim to fame these days is the enormous distributions his Wedgewood Growth fund is paying, used to manage about $2B; today the fund's AUM amount to $260M. The suggestion to click on M*'s fund pdf page (in a discussion from way back) does show historical AUM, but the numbers for RWGFX make no sense. Here's a link:

https://members.morningstar.com/accessPdf/getPdf.aspx?sourcecode=PR8013&pdfName=RWGFX

I wondered how a manager would have to pay out so much in distributions. The answer is that the rats have been abandoning ship. A glance at the Premium portfolio holdings tab shows that Rolfe has been selling from every single position in America's best growth stocks. And M* says to stick with him! A one star, bronze rated fund is now on sale.
  • edited November 2018
    BenWP said:

I wondered how a manager would have to pay out so much in distributions. The answer is that the rats have been abandoning ship. A glance at the Premium portfolio holdings tab shows that Rolfe has been selling from every single position in America's best growth stocks. And M* says to stick with him! A one star, bronze rated fund is now on sale.

M* was totally behind Arnott and PAUIX for years too, as I recall. Even as PAUIX and its 20% short SPX position dragged the fund lower and lower during the 'bull' market of the past 10 years, they kept saying it was a good fund and praising his discipline. Puh-lease.

M* stars, picks, and recommendations are just noise in the machine, at least to me. Some useful nuggets in the analyst reports from time to time, but I don't pay any attention to their star ratings or their (or anyone's) list of stocks-to-buy-now, stocks-that-are-undervalued, etc....