Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Did King Trump cancel Federal workers pay raise to take attention away from Sen.McCain's Memorial?

edited August 2018 in Off-Topic
Would be consistent with the king's beavior.

Comments

• As Ann Telnaes observes....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opinions/wp/2018/08/16/trump-distracts-whenever-he-feels-threatened/

... he'll probably start a war on Saturday to distract from McCain's televised funeral in DC....
  • TedTed
    edited August 2018
    @MFO Members: Enough already !!
    Regards,
    Ted:(:(:(
  • @Ted: I completely agree. I've had enough of Trump to last me the rest of my life.
  • @ted. Just think of two neighbors in Berlin in 1936. Fritz,,," this Hitler will be the ruin of us."
    Kurt,,,, "enough of this subject."

• *chortle*
    larryB said:

@ted. Just think of two neighbors in Berlin in 1936. Fritz,,," this Hitler will be the ruin of us."
    Kurt,,,, "enough of this subject."

• edited August 2018
    No. He’s playing to his (apparently shrinking) base. The ones who think they’re being cheated or ripped off by everybody else (commonly known as scapegoating). So the underlying message here is that Fed workers are all lazy and leftist and anti whatever is good (ala MAGA).

Fortunately, it appears the tide is slowly turning in the pub opinion polls. I mean - there’s only so many potential scapegoats to go around. When that pool starts to get used up, (as the song goes) “Who ya gonna blame ... ?”
  • It is my understanding that T can't cancel pay raises as pay standards are a matter for congress.
  • Lots of things "are a matter for congress." Unfortunately, that requires a congress willing to get off it's ass and stand up to the dictator.
  • @Old_Joe. So right you are my brother! Sadly Congress is made up of Democrats and the trumpians
    who are complicit in stealing the country right in view of the whole world. This can only end badly. If the trumpians are booted out of office in the upcoming elections they will behave badly and if they aren't,,,,,,, well I shudder to think about the future.
  • Hi Guys,

Enough of this meaningless stuff. Here is a salute to John McCain: The Battle Hymn of the Republic:

He was a fighter his entire life. God Bless him!!!!

Best Wishes
  • While dramatically (Let the Hero ... crush the serpent with his heel,) celebrating the defeat of traitors is always a fine idea in these times, McCain's greatgrandfather was a Mississippi plantation owner, so not a fit salute perhaps.
  • Meaningless to MJG, perhaps. I'm not surprised. He's been comfortably removed from political reality for quite some time now.
  • edited September 2018
    I thought the funeral this morning was one of the most moving things I’ve ever witnessed. I can’t begin to summarize the near 3-hour event which I watched in totality (save for a few minutes when storms knocked out satellite reception). I’m sure there will be plenty of coverage in coming days. I viewed as much as possible on Fox to try and gage their take. It was (opening segments and wrap-up) very decent, respectful and solemn - unlike what I might have expected from them.

I kept thinking of Marc Antony’s address at Caesar’s funeral (from a play with which I have some familiarity).
    From the opening lines: “Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest ... Come I to speak in Caesar’s funeral.”
    http://wordinfo.info/unit/3829/ip:9/il:S

On both occasions, a funeral went far beyond honoring a man. It was used to convey a powerful message to a larger audience. In the case of McCain, I believe that was for the good. In the case of Caesar - not so good. Antony succeeded in breeding anger among the citizens who than turned against Brutus and the other conspirators. A bloody civil war resulted.

-
    *If you missed the ceremony and wish to watch, C-Span will rebroadcast it beginning at 8 PM (Eastern Time) this evening. The addresses by George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Joe Lieberman alone make it worth viewing.
  • Hi Guys,

I am not responsible for the actions of my great grandfather, my grandfather, and my father. Neither is McCain and neither are you responsible too.

Some of you are somewhat inclined to make huge extrapolations based on little or no data. Hateful thinking distorts judgement. That tendency can surely get you into a heap of trouble in your daily dealings, especially in your investment decisions. Truthfully, in some rare instances, I suffer the same shortcoming. Thank goodness for a logical and firm wife who is always free to speak her mind. She limits any of my uninformed and/or emotional decisions.

Best Wishes
  • "I am not responsible for the actions of my great grandfather, my grandfather, and my father. Neither is McCain and neither are you responsible too."

@MJG: Hard to disagree with that.
  • Sure, was just wondering why you would choose a CW hymn to honor the guy, and that one in particular, for heaven's sake.
  • edited September 2018

Sure, was just wondering why you would choose a CW hymn to honor the guy, and that one in particular, for heaven's sake.

Perhaps because McCain loved the song and requested it be sung at his funeral - which it was beautifully at The National Cathedral this morning. I also like the lyrics and find them not objectionable, despite the song’s use as an anthem by the Confederacy.

-

Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord
    He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored,
    He has loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword
    His truth is marching on.

Chorus:
    Glory! Glory! Hallelujah!
    His truth is marching on.

I have seen Him in the watch-fires of a hundred circling camps
    They have builded Him an altar in the evening dews and damps
    I can read His righteous sentence by the dim and flaring lamps
    His day is marching on.

Chorus
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnish`d rows of steel,
    "As ye deal with my contemnors, so with you my grace shall deal;"
    Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel
    Since God is marching on.

Chorus
    He has sounded from the trumpet that shall never call retreat
    He is sifting out the hearts of men before His judgment-seat
    Oh, be swift, my soul, to answer Him! Be jubilant, my feet!
    Our God is marching on.

Chorus
    In the beauty of the lilies Christ was born across the sea,
    With a glory in His bosom that transfigures you and me:
    As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free,
    While God is marching on.

-

Where I do take exception with @MJG is in his reference to hate (“hateful thinking“).
    I see concern, fear, foreboding and love of country in most of the remarks here. MFO has a very mature considerate group of contributors. But if you want to hear hate, attend one of Donald Trump’s “rallies” and listen to him lay into Robert Mueller, or even his own Attorney General. More hate in one of those farcical carnivals than in all the MFO comments over the years.
  • TedTed
    edited September 2018
    @davidmoran: I find your remarks to MJG's message on the death of Sen. John McCain to be ill mannered, and if you have any sense of decency you will apologize to him and your fellow MFO Members: Man up and admit you made a mistake !
    :(

• +1 hank. It felt like American values, tradition & civility had returned to DC for a little while, and it was wonderful.
    hank said:

I thought the funeral this morning was one of the most moving things I’ve ever witnessed. I can’t begin to summarize the near 3-hour event which I watched in totality (save for a few minutes when storms knocked out satellite reception). I’m sure there will be plenty of coverage in coming days. I viewed as much as possible on Fox to try and gage their take. It was (opening segments and wrap-up) very decent, respectful and solemn - unlike what I might have expected from them.

I kept thinking of Marc Antony’s address at Caesar’s funeral (from a play with which I have some familiarity).
    From the opening lines: “Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest ... Come I to speak in Caesar’s funeral.”
    http://wordinfo.info/unit/3829/ip:9/il:S

On both occasions, a funeral went far beyond honoring a man. It was used to convey a powerful message to a larger audience. In the case of McCain, I believe that was for the good. In the case of Caesar - not so good. Antony succeeded in breeding anger among the citizens who than turned against Brutus and the other conspirators. A bloody civil war resulted.

-
    *If you missed the ceremony and wish to watch, C-Span will rebroadcast it beginning at 8 PM (Eastern Time) this evening. The addresses by George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Joe Lieberman alone make it worth viewing.

• MJG
    edited September 2018
    Hi Davidrmoran,

I did not choose to honor "the guy". I chose to honor John McCain. I selected that hymn because it was performed at his service. He planned his funeral. He selected the speakers and other details. He prepared the guest list that did not include President Trump or Sarah Palin too.

I was a little sloppy in referencing the version that I did. I should have referenced the Annapolis Midshipmen Choir who performed it at the service. Here is a Link to their interpretation of that memorable hymn:

I had many tears during the moving celebration that honored John McCain. He earned it all.

Best Wishes
  • Hank I agree, a very moving service and salute. For me I thought his daughter Meghans' eulogy was the best.

MJG, I really believe that you should have started your own thread on this topic. I believe a lot of federal workers who might be affected by twit in chiefs action might hardly find it meaningless.
  • I know it was chosen by him and used for its service. The MJG-posted youtube video was a preposterous if not offensive thing to show, thoughtless, is what I was pointing out.

I have nothing to apologize for in any of this; nothing I posted was offensive, much less untrue.

As for

>> the song’s use as an anthem by the Confederacy

... well, everyone says American history must be better and more fully taught, so wtf?
    Are you thinking of John Brown's Body?

Seditious rightwingnuts in the South think they get it even now, insofar as they get anything:

http://www.confederateamericanpride.com/battlehymn.html
  • edited September 2018
    Here’s the actual song being sung at The National Cathereral today. I think that in light of the solemn occassion, we deserve to see and hear the actual performance. And can’t say I’ve ever heard it done more beautifully.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4746653/battle-hymn-republic
  • edited September 2018

As for >> the song’s use as an anthem by the Confederacy

... well, everyone says American history must be better and more fully taught, so wtf?
    Are you thinking of John Brown's Body?

Chill Out! @davidmoran,

I was wrong about the song’s history. Don’t mind admitting a mistake. So are a lot of people.
    It’s still a lovely song and is often associated with the Civil War - though in a different light.

https://www.nwpb.org/2018/07/04/how-the-battle-hymn-of-the-republic-became-an-anthem-for-every-cause/
  • @davidrmoran. +1. Confederate monuments are coming down at long last. When I see a jacked up pick up truck flying the Confederate flag I shudder. The Anthem of the Confederate States of America ,,,,, makes me wonder what message that was intended to send . But hey,,,, at least he excluded the worst person in the USof A.

@Ted. Don't even bother.
  • Hi Hank,

Thank you for the Link to the real time performance of the embattled(?) song. I enjoyed the selection, it's sentiments, and the singing. I'll save your reference.

Best Wishes
  • edited September 2018
    “The real history on that point is clear: Julia Ward Howe wrote the song as a pro-Union, anti-slavery anthem.” https://www.nwpb.org/2018/07/04/how-the-battle-hymn-of-the-republic-became-an-anthem-for-every-cause/

This is all getting very confused. I can find nothing in the words of the song that make it offensive to any group. It’s been recorded by dozens of talented artists (including Elvis) and is still performed by the U.S. Naval Accadamy chorus today.

Why decry the song? If right wingnuts hijack some symbol of decency like this intended anti-slavery song and use it to spread their hate, are we to give in? Where would that lead? Might they not do the same to symbols of every faith? State flags? Budweiser’s Clydesdales?

(Wikepedia) The Battle Hymn of The Republic Recordings and Public Performances

Jaye P. Morgan recorded this song on her 1960 MGM Records album titled "Up North".

In 1960 the Mormon Tabernacle Choir won the Grammy Award for Best Performance by a Vocal Group or Chorus.

Bing Crosby included the song in a medley on his album 101 Gang Songs (1961).

Joan Baez performed the song around 1962–63, and a live recording from a concert is featured in the album Joan Baez in Concert, Part 2.

Judy Garland performed this song on her weekly television show in December 1963.

Andy Williams experienced commercial success in 1968 with an a cappella version recorded at Senator Robert Kennedy's funeral. Backed by the St. Charles Borromeo choir, his version reached #11 on the adult contemporary chart and #33 on the Billboard Hot 100.[19]

Johnny Cash performed it on his musical variety show on September 27, 1969, closing the show with The Tennessee Three, The Carter Family, and The Statler Brothers.

Anita Bryant performed it January 17, 1971, at the halftime show of Super Bowl V.

Elvis Presley began performing a portion of the song as the final portion of the song "An American Trilogy" (which was composed by Mickey Newbury), starting in 1972.

The Beach Boys recorded the song on November 5, 1974, with lead vocals by Mike Love.[20]

David Mansfield performed an instrumental rendition of the song on guitar for the 1980 Western film Heaven's Gate.

The Christian Heavy Metal band Stryper covered this song on their 1985 album Soldiers Under Command.

Hosanna! Music used this hymn in the 20th album of Praise & Worship Series Army of God with the worship leader Randy Rothwell recorded live in 1988.

Whitney Houston performed this song at her concert of March 31, 1991 to the troops called "Welcome Home Heroes" also in Shanghai and Beijing on July 22, and July 25, 2004 during the Soul Divas Tour.

The Washington National Cathedral choirs recorded this song on their 2004 album "America the Beautiful".

The Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir also sang this song at President Barack Obama's Second Presidential Inauguration Ceremony on January 21, 2013.

The Mighty Sound of Maryland performs an arrangement of the song as a part of their pregame show.[21]

The Pride of Minnesota performs an arrangement of the song while marching the honor guard down the field through a series of "swinging gates" during their pregame show.[22]

The Mother Bethel AME Church Choir from Philadelphia performed this song during the opening day of the Democratic National Convention on July 25, 2016.[23]

Jazz musician Jon Batiste recorded a version of the song in partnership with The Atlantic for their podcast Radio Atlantic.[24]

The Naval Academy Glee Club performed this song on September 1, 2018 at the funeral of Sen. John McCain at the Washington National Cathedral.
  • Well, most of them I daresay do not include

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
    "As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal";
    Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
    Since God is marching on...
    ... As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free

etc.
  • beebee
    edited September 2018

Well, most of them I daresay do not include

I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel:
    "As ye deal with my contemners, so with you my grace shall deal";
    Let the Hero, born of woman, crush the serpent with his heel,
    Since God is marching on...
    ... As He died to make men holy, let us die to make men free

etc.

@davidrmoran... Too bad... these are very moving sentiments for the high price of freedom.

Father, Son, Friend, US Navy Captain, US Senator...a great life, lived...RIP John McCain.
  • onward, christian soldiers!

we have a license plate out here based on that last clause

I wonder why it has always been subsequently changed in the singing