Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

What are you folks adding buying?

2»

Comments

• Well, I'm certainly in good company!
  • i've been buying those for clients. only the QDI paying - equity preferreds that are fixed for a few years and then either get called or start floating with the 3 mo LIBOR and a nice spread. the equity preferreds dont produce K1.
    Graust said:

@Ted for a little “higher on the risk spectrum” floating rate preferred (actually a note...it’s debt, not a preferred stock, so no K-1 issues to deal with) to add to something like ALLY-A, maybe look at NSS (NuStar Logistics 7.625% fixed-to-floating subordinated note). It’s yielding approx 9%. Holding about 2% position and not looking to add, but would if it was smaller or I didn’t own it.

• edited August 2018
    fundalarm and others,

I only mentioned the K-1 because it was issued by an MLP....and preferreds issued by publicly-traded partnerships that issue K-1s, issue K-1s. Non-partnerships do not. And since NSS is a debt instrument, it doesn't issue a K-1 so it should be safe to hold in any account (but it is NOT QDI so probably better to hold in an IRA or other tax qualified account.

fundalarm said:

i've been buying those for clients. only the QDI paying - equity preferreds that are fixed for a few years and then either get called or start floating with the 3 mo LIBOR and a nice spread. the equity preferreds dont produce K1.

Graust said:

@Ted for a little “higher on the risk spectrum” floating rate preferred (actually a note...it’s debt, not a preferred stock, so no K-1 issues to deal with) to add to something like ALLY-A, maybe look at NSS (NuStar Logistics 7.625% fixed-to-floating subordinated note). It’s yielding approx 9%. Holding about 2% position and not looking to add, but would if it was smaller or I didn’t own it.