Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Remember the good old days?

It wasn't that long ago I didn't wake up with the need to check the news to see what new horrors the repuglicans had foisted on the markets and the nation overnight. It wasn't that long ago that our house didn't have a five pm cut off to discuss the news. It wasn't that long ago that I didn't have a terrible sense that the future was surely going to be much worse than the past. It wasn't that long ago that in our neighborhood park we spoke to each other,,,, now many of us don't speak to them. Yes,,,, I live a a mixed neighborhood and nowadays many openly tell me they won't have anything to do with them. Life sure has changed since Jan. 2017. And not for the better. Thanks repuglicans.

Appropriate or not for MFO,,,, anyone disagree that life in America has become unsettling and just worse since Jan.2017?

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Yes, things are worse, but I think it's a mistake to assume that these sorts of tribal animosities haven't always existed in the U.S. and that the election of a figure like Trump wasn't a long time coming. Too many liberals think like this:

In other words, these problems did not begin with the election nor will they end after Trump is gone.
  • @LewisBraham. Agree with you. This guy just unleashed them. But what is really scary is what happens when a smart guy plays that cohort effectively. Nonetheless,,, liberals, however ineffectual, are not bent on destruction of our institutions. They do not want to destroy the environment,,take away protection for investors And consumers, drive away our long time allies, make it harder for voters, do away with the separation of church and state,, threaten the free press,,,,,,, only the repuglicans want these things.
  • larryB said:

@LewisBraham. Agree with you. This guy just unleashed them. But what is really scary is what happens when a smart guy plays that cohort effectively. Nonetheless,,, liberals, however ineffectual, are not bent on destruction of our institutions. They do not want to destroy the environment,,take away protection for investors And consumers, drive away our long time allies, make it harder for voters, do away with the separation of church and state,, threaten the free press,,,,,,, only the repuglicans want these things.

Spoken by a true liberal.
  • Thank you JoJo26. You do know of course that liberals want to save capitalism from itself. Left to their own devices,,,,,, capitalists, with their overwhelming greed, would destroy themselves.. But this thread is not about us liberals,,,,, it's about your president and the grinding ruin of life in America.
  • edited July 2018
    What really grinds at me is what appears to be a shifting U.S. alliance away from many former (mostly democratic) allies and towards (ex-Soviet Union) Russia. Has anyone visited Russia lately? Are their freedoms and living standards anywhere near what we enjoy? Is this who we’d rather be close to going forward and depend on when push comes to shove?

How good is their freedom of the press? Are their elections and the run-up campaigns conducted fairly? Can ordinary Russians carry guns without permits? Do they own their own homes? Do ordinary working class Russians invest in stocks or mutual funds? I don’t know - but I’ve heard things aren’t as good over there - that a very few wealthy “oligarchs” pretty much run the show. Anybody visited there lately? Maybe some photos of typical Russians’ homes, autos, vacation spots etc. would help. They say “Politics makes strange bedfellows“ - but this sudden coziness seems very much at odds with out country’s past.

(If you’ve been watching the news you’ll already know Putin intends to pay a state visit to Washington this fall - likely around the time of our mid-term elections.)

• It really amazes me that folks like JoJo read about the what the repuglicans have wrought and can't defend it. But they call the messenger a "liberal." You guys are amazing.
  • I remember the good old days with LBJ as president and his Vietnam policy killed 65,000 Americans and Bush Jr. with his phony second Iraq war destroyed the Middle East.

At least Trump has not persued these deadly policies.

• LA Times reporter Chris Megerian said this morning: "Dan Coats says he starts his mornings by asking his staff to 'tell me the bad things that happened since I fell asleep.'"

Ahhh, the good old days when you could get a good night's sleep....