Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Wise Quotes

MJG
edited July 2018 in Fund Discussions
Hi Guys,

Wise and prudent investment advice need not be complex. In fact, it often can be nicely summarized in a short quote. Here is a Link to 100 such quotes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertberger/2014/04/30/top-100-money-quotes-of-all-time/#3ca75de64998

I hope you enjoyed them and may even profit some. But 100 is a ton of advice. I particularly liked number 41. I realize your time is valuable and you are not likely to visit my recommendation, so I'll repeat good old number 41 now:

"Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas. --Paul Samuelson

Samuelon had it roughly right except nowadays you'll need more than the quoted dollars. Regardless, have some fun and learn too.

Best Regards

Added Thought: There are rules everywhere. Consider the 12 rules recommended for drinking:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=3115&et_cid=3111724&et_rid=16688843&et_referrer=NULL

They do make good sense. Good luck on keeping to them. The temptations are a challenge.

Comments

• Another Samuelson quote:
    What then is it that, since 2007, has caused Wall Street capitalism's own suicide?At the bottom of this worst financial mess in a century is this: Milton Friedman-Friedrich Hayek libertarian laissez-faire capitalism, permitted to run wild without regulation. This is the root source of today's travails. Both of these men are dead, but their poisoned legacies live on.
  • edited July 2018
    Uh, didn't we just go right back there? Oh wait, the smartest business prez ever in the world is in charge so we'll be good. Never mind.
  • Yes, and while we're at it, let's kill the CFPB. Oh, ya, that's right: already a fait accompli. (What could go wrong, eh???)